PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC next year

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: AAC next year

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:49 am

MFFL02 wrote:Doubt WSU moves to our conference so quickly.

Unless we schedule a bunch of OOC high-quality games, expect us to be seeded similarly if we have another similar year.

Probably. I still think we win a tournament game next year though.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

Unless we schedule a bunch of OOC high-quality games, expect us to be seeded similarly if we have another similar year.

let's hope it's not in the NIT; losing Sterling and Ben is going to hurt
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

let's hope it's not in the NIT; losing Sterling and Ben is going to hurt

Probably, but I thought losing Jordan, Markus, and - mostly importantly - Nic was going to hurt. Instead we put together the best season SMU has had in my lifetime. If we keep the "pipeline" moving, this may actually be sustainable. I'm cautiously optimistic.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:52 pm

this season we did not have to rely on any of our FR whereas next season we might need at least 2-3 of the incoming 4 FR to contribute significant minutes
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:this season we did not have to rely on any of our FR whereas next season we might need at least 2-3 of the incoming 4 FR to contribute significant minutes

Fair point, though it looks like we could have a full starting lineup w/o freshman, if needed. Some of the freshmen just might turn out to be the better option.

Either way, my main point was just that I'm willing to be optimistic given the trajectory of the last few years.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Saw on one of the Memphis site's that Craig Randall their backup guard is transferring. That D. Lawson is almost a foregone conclusion to declare and not come back and that KJ Lawson has been MIA, including missing meetings, since the end of the season. Also, that Crawford might grad-transfer. Tubby could have a real ROUGH season next year if D. Lawson isn't back, which many are saying he wont be.

Read that the Lawson's Pops is going elsewhere and likely to try to package deal his two remaining sons. Usually drama when hire a package deal parent or AAU coach.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 am

SMU Section F wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:this season we did not have to rely on any of our FR whereas next season we might need at least 2-3 of the incoming 4 FR to contribute significant minutes

Fair point, though it looks like we could have a full starting lineup w/o freshman, if needed. Some of the freshmen just might turn out to be the better option.

Either way, my main point was just that I'm willing to be optimistic given the trajectory of the last few years.

We haven't had freshman bigs that could start on day one under Brown or Jank. I would temper our expectations. The only Big that has been developed as a freshman was Ben Moore, and he was a stretch four.
deucetz
All-American

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33 am

deucetz wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:

We haven't had freshman bigs that could start on day one under Brown or Jank. I would temper our expectations. The only Big that has been developed as a freshman was Ben Moore, and he was a stretch four.

I'm not disagreeing. I agree completely, in fact, but we've made it work so far.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Bottom line is that the AAC is going to be a lot tougher next year with a lot more parity. SMU will have to win it's home games to have another successful season because road wins are going to be hard to come by. Nice to have a home court advantage back again at Moody
Charleston Pony

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 pm

I definitely hope the AAC is stronger. I'd gladly accept a few more conference losses in exchange for a saltier, more tournament-ready team in March. But every year I think the AAC is going to get stronger, and it keeps not happening.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:39 pm

UConn Just lost Vance Jackson to a transfer to go along with Steven Enoch (one of their few true bigs returning)
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:43 pm

It's the AAC's fault.....
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby skyscraper » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:00 pm

skyscraper

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:25 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:It's the AAC's fault.....

Ollie's tie clip.

So does this negate his victory guarantee or does that transfer with him?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:49 pm

Stallion wrote:these days you've got to wait to see whose coming back. Tulane already has 3 guys transferring-only one was a starter-Kain Harris. Kam Reynolds has been rumored to be looking to graduate transfer. USF had an inside big announce his transfer last week. Similar scenarios at other schools. Everybody looking for the bigger, better deal

Tulsa has also had 3 players decide to transfer. Most significant is F T.K. Edogi who is graduating and shopping himself around. Played about 12 mins per game this year.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball