PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC next year

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: AAC next year

Postby max the wonder dog » Sun May 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Memphis has picked up some well regarded JUCO talent and have a 4 star and three 3 star recruits. If Tubbie can coach them up and they have a better attitude than the Pastner recruits Memphis could be back among the top schools in the conference, which would be good news indeed.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 am

max the wonder dog wrote:Memphis has picked up some well regarded JUCO talent and have a 4 star and three 3 star recruits. If Tubbie can coach them up and they have a better attitude than the Pastner recruits Memphis could be back among the top schools in the country, which would be good news indeed.

FIFY

Having a particular school be among the best in the AAC does nothing for SMU or the AAC. If the AACs top 5 teams are UCONN, Memphis, Temple, Cincinnati, and SMU and we are still a 2-bid league nothing has changed in terms of the perception of the conference. Whereas, if the AAC has 5 Top 25 teams and UCONN, Temple, Memphis are not among them who cares aside from those fans. I want SMU to be nationally competitive and the conference as a whole to be nationally competitive.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 pm

mustangxc wrote:
max the wonder dog wrote:Memphis has picked up some well regarded JUCO talent and have a 4 star and three 3 star recruits. If Tubbie can coach them up and they have a better attitude than the Pastner recruits Memphis could be back among the top schools in the country, which would be good news indeed.

FIFY

Having a particular school be among the best in the AAC does nothing for SMU or the AAC. If the AACs top 5 teams are UCONN, Memphis, Temple, Cincinnati, and SMU and we are still a 2-bid league nothing has changed in terms of the perception of the conference. Whereas, if the AAC has 5 Top 25 teams and UCONN, Temple, Memphis are not among them who cares aside from those fans. I want SMU to be nationally competitive and the conference as a whole to be nationally competitive.

True. Memphis was nationally competitive until the Boy Coach took over and my point was that if Cincy and SMU are nationally competitive, teams that compete with them in the conference should also be nationally competitive. Plus, Wichita State alone should give the AAC a shot at three bids.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon May 08, 2017 12:50 pm

I'd add Temple to that list of teams with a very good chance to make the tourney. They should be much improved. UConn, Houston and UCF are wild cards.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:13 pm

5 bid conference next year? Maybe?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri May 19, 2017 9:51 am

Hearing from a UConn friend they think they will add Sid Wilson and Tremont Waters soon. If true, those would be huge additions and the two best recruits in the AAC. Would be a big help for UConn. Question would still be if Ollie can coach.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri May 19, 2017 9:59 am

PLE, we know the answer to that question. 8)

I hope they get Sid. I wanted him on our roster but since he cut us I'd like him to at least be in the conference. He can ball.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun May 21, 2017 7:54 am

I'm guessing that analysts ranking teams in pre-season have us no higher than 3, no lower than 5.
UCONN? Lower. That alone will drive the Boneyard nuts. Can you imagine the reaction at the yard to being ranked 5 or 6? I think we refer to this season as the Ollie farewell tour.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun May 21, 2017 10:45 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:Hearing from a UConn friend they think they will add Sid Wilson and Tremont Waters soon. If true, those would be huge additions and the two best recruits in the AAC. Would be a big help for UConn. Question would still be if Ollie can coach.

Sidney Wilson committed to St. John's yesterday
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun May 21, 2017 12:35 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:Hearing from a UConn friend they think they will add Sid Wilson and Tremont Waters soon. If true, those would be huge additions and the two best recruits in the AAC. Would be a big help for UConn. Question would still be if Ollie can coach.

St. John's over UConn. Must be SMU's fault.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun May 21, 2017 2:31 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:

St. John's over UConn. Must be SMU's fault.

AAC's fault all the way. They were all bagging how there is no way he would go to St. johns over UConn... well
Made so much fun of my buddy.. he is so bitter.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Tue May 23, 2017 7:34 am

Memphis and Arkansas are finalizing a deal for home and home starting in 2018. Sure wish we could get one with Arkie.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue May 23, 2017 10:14 pm

mrydel wrote:Memphis and Arkansas are finalizing a deal for home and home starting in 2018. Sure wish we could get one with Arkie.

We just did one. 2013 and 2014. Surely you remember!
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby mrydel » Wed May 24, 2017 5:22 am

We should have it every year. And it would be nice to win sometimes.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby hoopmanx » Wed May 24, 2017 8:04 am

Id prefer hoops first schools for any OOC home/home
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball