PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Absolutely need Semi to return for senior season

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Absolutely need Semi to return for senior season

Postby MFFL02 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 am

Semi is already 22, he turns 23 in December. He's practically done with school. Mocks are starting to show him as a first round pick. Also in his interview with Doris he said he hates going to class. My money is on him leaving for the NBA.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:13 am

MFFL02 wrote:Semi is already 22, he turns 23 in December. He's practically done with school. Mocks are starting to show him as a first round pick. Also in his interview with Doris he said he hates going to class. My money is on him leaving for the NBA.

He gone.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:27 am

I don't think it's that simple that he is gone or staying. 1st who likes going to class.. no one. But Semi is the Scholar athlete of the year it's not like we are talking about Markus Kennedy. Semi takes schools nd his education seriously. Not unrealistic that he would come back to school to get another degree if other factors lead him that way.

Also, 1 mock draft has him as a 1st rounder and several others as a 2nd or aren't updated. His age is a factor, but Semi isn't cut from the same cloth as 98% of other players. If it was most guys I would say 80-20 gone, unless he had a bad Combine. With Semi I feel more 60-40 that he likely leaves, because he had such a good year, but Semi loved the limelight, college hoops/being the star, his teammates, and really wanted to make a run. He only really got to play 1 season, I could see him if he isn't going to be a first rounder or is borderline coming back and wanting to have a Buddy Heild like senior year (who I think was about the exact same age as Semi will be when he was a Senior).
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby oilpony » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:57 am

I didn't realize the future of this program depends on Semi staying.
oilpony
All-American

Postby gostangs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 pm

yes - it does.

back to the discussion - I think it all comes down to guaranteed money. If he gets high enough in the draft to get a guaranteed money contract - it will be hard to say no to. If he does not, he would be wise to wait on the likelihood we gets on after next year. The NBA can be brutal on those without guaranteed money.

Not sure where those drop off - but have heard around the end of the 1st. Others may know better
gostangs

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:24 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:I don't think it's that simple that he is gone or staying. 1st who likes going to class.. no one. But Semi is the Scholar athlete of the year it's not like we are talking about Markus Kennedy. Semi takes schools nd his education seriously. Not unrealistic that he would come back to school to get another degree if other factors lead him that way.

Also, 1 mock draft has him as a 1st rounder and several others as a 2nd or aren't updated. His age is a factor, but Semi isn't cut from the same cloth as 98% of other players. If it was most guys I would say 80-20 gone, unless he had a bad Combine. With Semi I feel more 60-40 that he likely leaves, because he had such a good year, but Semi loved the limelight, college hoops/being the star, his teammates, and really wanted to make a run. He only really got to play 1 season, I could see him if he isn't going to be a first rounder or is borderline coming back and wanting to have a Buddy Heild like senior year (who I think was about the exact same age as Semi will be when he was a Senior).

I think if he goes to the NBA combine and see where he ranks that would be a good idea for him. If he ranks lower than he wants he could always come back to SMU.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponyfan37 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Buddy Hield was a projected late first round pick after his junior year. He decided to stay, became National Player of the Year, took OU to the Final 4 and ended up getting taken 6th overall. His senior season made him a lot of money.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:56 pm

ponyfan37 wrote:Buddy Hield was a projected late first round pick after his junior year. He decided to stay, became National Player of the Year, took OU to the Final 4 and ended up getting taken 6th overall. His senior season made him a lot of money.

Pretty good comparison. They are almost exactly a year apart. Hield born Dec 1993, Semi Dec 1994.
RGV Pony

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:12 pm

ponyfan37 wrote:Buddy Hield was a projected late first round pick after his junior year. He decided to stay, became National Player of the Year, took OU to the Final 4 and ended up getting taken 6th overall. His senior season made him a lot of money.

And damn was he fun to watch... just like Semi.

Of course, that's "best case scenario" for a player staying. I won't begrudge Semi either way, but selfishly I'd be happy as hell to hear he's staying.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Cort » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:42 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
PonySnob wrote:
Stallion wrote:Sterling did average 19.9 ppg in last 6 games-took game to higher level

Who scores those points next year?

Hopefully Foster and Whitt. Tough to know though. Guess we'll find out next year.

Heard Whitt is going to be good. killin It at practice
Cort
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball