PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

After Underwood's departure, whom should the Pokes pursue?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: After Underwood's departure, whom should the Pokes pursu

Postby okcponyfan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:56 pm

orguy wrote:what about Gundy? If Boone called the shots 100 percent as you say, then I doubt he would have been exchanging barbs with Mike in public. Boone has wanted him out Stillwater for years now. The record against OU is infuriating to many Oklahoma State alums yet Gundy remains despite Boone's influence.

Should also be noted in reference to the article above: Berry Tramel is an OU alum who probably is not an objective source of information regarding the internal politics of the Oklahoma State Athletic department.

Yes i realize Boone's and most of the poke fan bases obsession with the OU game.
You realize how bad it would look if Holder/Boone fired the winningest coach in program history who is also one of their own because of the OU game?

who would want to coach there? no one.

There is a reason why Gundy flirts with offers every off season, he is tired of dealing with Boone/holder
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:41 pm

Three Putt wrote:
gostangs wrote:We aren't losing Jank to Stillwater oklahoma. Basketball is a different hiring dynamic than football. If the money is even there is no reason to leave to a p5 unless you get one of the legend jobs - of which there are only a handful.

If that is true, why did Dixon leave Pitt to go to TCU, as their basketball sucked. Being an alum might have been the only deciding factor.

For starters, your post makes no sense because Pitt is a P5 too. But it should be mentioned that Dixon was likely going to be fired at Pitt
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:48 pm

orguy wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:BRAD VIBES: Underwood came to believe that OSU didn't value basketball as much as it should

We'll just hope Jank is hearing these things, too. I think teams'll make a run at Jank, but I'd be a little embarrassed to lose him to Oklahoma State.

Why would you be embarrassed? What is their budget compared to ours? Big 12 school vs a medium sized private with 6000 undergrads? We are not Duke or USC. Resources are not infinite at SMU and the AAC is not the Big 12 even by a longshot.

Less a slight on Oklahoma State (or the Big 12) and more because he can do better than that, so if he wants to leave I'd hope he has a better option. If Oklahoma State - a school with seemingly minimal dedication to basketball - is enough, that doesn't reflect well on how he views our future prospects.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:50 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
Three Putt wrote:
gostangs wrote:We aren't losing Jank to Stillwater oklahoma. Basketball is a different hiring dynamic than football. If the money is even there is no reason to leave to a p5 unless you get one of the legend jobs - of which there are only a handful.

If that is true, why did Dixon leave Pitt to go to TCU, as their basketball sucked. Being an alum might have been the only deciding factor.

For starters, your post makes no sense because Pitt is a P5 too. But it should be mentioned that Dixon was likely going to be fired at Pitt

Yeah Pitt was growing unhappy even though he was good nd they made the tourney most years, but they hadn't gone to the 2nd weekend, since 2009. Also, its his alma matter who was ready to open up the check book.

I would be disappointed if Jank went to OSU. We will match whatever they would offer so it wouldn't be for money. I really hope he stays here, unless he gets a monster top 10 job offer. SMU has a bright future in hoops and dont get why he would leave.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Its surreal that an SMU board is talking about the minimal dedication to Basketball that Oklahoma St has to Basketball-but OSU deserves some criticism for paying like a Sun Belt program

Tournament Appearances: 27
Final Fours: 6
Championships: 2 (1945, 1946)
Win-Loss 38-26
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU Section F » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:57 pm

Stallion wrote:Its surreal that an SMU board is talking about the minimal dedication to Basketball that Oklahoma St has to Basketball-but OSU deserves some criticism for paying like a Sun Belt program

Tournament Appearances: 27
Final Fours: 6
Championships: 2 (1945, 1946)
Win-Loss 38-26

It's true though, at least recently. I agree it's kind of hard to believe.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby orguy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:53 pm

okcponyfan wrote:
orguy wrote:what about Gundy? If Boone called the shots 100 percent as you say, then I doubt he would have been exchanging barbs with Mike in public. Boone has wanted him out Stillwater for years now. The record against OU is infuriating to many Oklahoma State alums yet Gundy remains despite Boone's influence.

Should also be noted in reference to the article above: Berry Tramel is an OU alum who probably is not an objective source of information regarding the internal politics of the Oklahoma State Athletic department.

Yes i realize Boone's and most of the poke fan bases obsession with the OU game.
You realize how bad it would look if Holder/Boone fired the winningest coach in program history who is also one of their own because of the OU game?

who would want to coach there? no one.

There is a reason why Gundy flirts with offers every off season, he is tired of dealing with Boone/holder

Good points. No argument from me on Gundy overall. He bleeds orange no doubt and has had great success. However, its unfortunate he does not see the importance of Bedlam to the respective alums of those two schools. Do realize the implication of firing Gundy. I still think (pure speculation) that Boone wants him out. Personally (my ponytfans expert high dollar opinion) is that they need new blood in the football program. As for Hoop. Yeah, pay. U have to invest in the program and evidently they have not been doing that while consistently selling out Iba arena. Fan interest is high in the Basketball program. Iba is a great atmosphere and the program has an impressive history.

Do think Underwood leaving so soon was a bit slimy. Yes, I understand the cash angle plenty well but it reeks of Todd Graham opportunism. Leaving so soon. Shows he cares about number 1 to the extreme and no 1 sure aint his players or the program. He signed the contract and made the commitment but hey its all a "business" right?
orguy
All-American

Postby orguy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:58 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
orguy wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:BRAD VIBES: Underwood came to believe that OSU didn't value basketball as much as it should

We'll just hope Jank is hearing these things, too. I think teams'll make a run at Jank, but I'd be a little embarrassed to lose him to Oklahoma State.

Why would you be embarrassed? What is their budget compared to ours? Big 12 school vs a medium sized private with 6000 undergrads? We are not Duke or USC. Resources are not infinite at SMU and the AAC is not the Big 12 even by a longshot.

Less a slight on Oklahoma State (or the Big 12) and more because he can do better than that, so if he wants to leave I'd hope he has a better option. If Oklahoma State - a school with seemingly minimal dedication to basketball - is enough, that doesn't reflect well on how he views our future prospects.

Yes, minimal dedication to basketball. Tis True. Sad they have not capitalized on the great history. A bit of an opportunity wasted.
orguy
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 am

Actually multiple OSU articles have stated that the Basketball program has suffered huge declining revenues due to dropping interest in the program, These articles suggest that the biggest reason for the Basketball deficit is ticket sales. I pointed out several times on ponyfans that I couldn't believe OSU couldn't sell out for huge Big 12 games
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:52 am

He ain't going to BFE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball