PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Good start at 6-3

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Good start at 6-3

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:49 am

This year's team has exceeded my expectations to date. Looking at our non-conference schedule, I figured we'd go 5-5 at best. I also thought we'd have very balanced scoring and that has been the case. Four guys averaging double figures and Lowe sitting at 7.7 ppg still has a shot at becoming the 5th. Our assist:turnover ratio remains a concern with only Bhop producing more assists (40) than turnovers (34). I'd like to see a 3:1 or 2:1 ratio from my point, but we rely heavily on Bhop's scoring as well, so that results in his forcing things way too often. As expected, Justin Isham remains our most patient player and it shows in his shooting precentage. He's hitting almost 50% from the field and an impressive 45% from 3 pt range. Castro is really coming on as an offensive threat.

The big keys for a run at post season, IMO, will be to get more production (and minutes) out of Patrick Simpson and for the bench to contribute more. Pearson, Miller, Rack & Bennett all need to contribute if this bunch is going to compete for the WAC title. I'm looking forward to seeing them again Saturday against OSU.

Go Ponies! Looking good so far.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Good start at 6-3

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:56 pm

CP

I am pleased with the record also as I would have defintely not chalked up a win vs. Miami or Purdue. I am extremely disappointed in the ASU loss as that was one of the worst I have witnessed in recent years.

I would like to see smarter & crisper passes and
less TO's in general. As for Simpson, I don't know what his deal is - he needs to be more involved and I don't know why he plays timid. He should be pounding the boards.

Let's hope we can hang with OK State on Sat. on Nat'l TV
Pony_Fan

Re: Good start at 6-3

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:16 pm

Agreed Pony_Fan

While I like our Record at 6-3...We could easily easily! and SHOULD! be 8-1 maybe even 9-0 if we couldve played Wake Forest the whole entire game
Mustangs35SMU

Return to Basketball