PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

POLL: Best thing from 16-17 season

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Best thing from 16-17 season

Winning regular season & tourney title
50%
Development of Semi
No votes
Development of Shake
No votes
Smooth transition from LB to Jank
37%
Traveling fan support at NCAA, Houston
4%
Home crowds at Moody
4%
Other
4%

Total votes : 46

POLL: Best thing from 16-17 season

Postby skyscraper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Poll time... what was the most encouraging thing you will take away from the season....
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: POLL: Best thing from 16-17 season

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Good list. The most important thing is they are all signs of a growing program. IMO the conference and tourney championships are easily the biggest accomplishments. Before 2014-15 we had zero conference championships in the revenue sports so the fact that we now have two regular season championships and two tourney championships in the last years is special. Here's how is ranked the rest:

1. Regular season sand conference championships
2. Transition from LB to Jank
3. Fan support at the NCAA tourney and road games
4. Moody crowds
5. Semi development
6. Shake development

I put Semi's and Shake's development at the bottom not because they aren't very important but our program has become bigger than one guy. I mean we lost the two time conference POY and one of the greatest players to ever play at SMU and we were arguably better this season.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby mrydel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:20 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Good list. The most important thing is they are all signs of a growing program. IMO the conference and tourney championships are easily the biggest accomplishments. Before 2014-15 we had zero conference championships in the revenue sports so the fact that we now have two regular season championships and two tourney championships in the last years is special. Here's how is ranked the rest:

4. Moody crowds
5. Semi development
6. Shake development

I put Semi's and Shake's development at the bottom not because they aren't very important but our program has become bigger than one guy. I mean we lost the two time conference POY and one of the greatest players to ever play at SMU and we were arguably better this season.

Number 1 tells me you have the ladies' beach volleyball team on your mind.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyTime » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Strong National Pub from our anticipated Tourney Run. Don't think any of us would have suspected before the season that we would begin to be mentioned in the conversation about National Champs and Final Fours. Too bad we did not live up to the hype - but having that kid of PR can really help to build on.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MFFL02 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:37 pm

No development of Jarrey Foster? Probably the most exciting thing all season! Not sure if Shake developed much...
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby Donnell88 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:18 pm

During the round of 32 games, I have never heard so many references to the SMU basketball program, which implied that our program is among the best basketball schools in the NCAA. And when #1-seed Villanova, #2-seed Duke and #3-seed Louisville all lost, it took some of the sting out of losing in the opening round.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:25 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Good list. The most important thing is they are all signs of a growing program. IMO the conference and tourney championships are easily the biggest accomplishments. Before 2014-15 we had zero conference championships in the revenue sports so the fact that we now have two regular season championships and two tourney championships in the last years is special. Here's how is ranked the rest:

4. Moody crowds
5. Semi development
6. Shake development

I would agree with 1-4 but that's where it stops because as MFFL02 says, Jarrey's development was every bit as important as Semi and Shake's. We knew Shake was a player and although Semi was a bit of an unknown, a lot was expected of him coming into the season
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 pm

mrydel wrote:

4. Moody crowds
5. Semi development
6. Shake development

Number 1 tells me you have the ladies' beach volleyball team on your mind.

I'm sorry.... but who doesn't?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Return to Basketball