PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Semi Testing the NBA Waters (Did not hire agent)

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Semi Testing the NBA Waters (Did not hire agent)

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 am

ojaipony wrote:I can't find it now, but there was a great write up and video exposing his deficiencies to play the 3 in the NBA which might help our chances for him to come back another year and work on all those things which would make him even scarier as a result (if I recall correctly it was mostly around creating his own shot/creativity, chasing 3s around, not just relying on his strength, the mid range jumper, etc)

Yep it is something along those lines. I'm gonna look for it later. What you said and is lack of lateral quickness on D, his average D rebounding stats, he is only a straight line drive driver, fluidity, etc.

I've been saying it is 50-50 and it's probably close to that, but the fact he is one of the few prospescts (in the DraftExpress top 45) who hasn't signed an agent should show there is a good chance he will be back unless he gets a couple guarantees. I'm starting to think more 60-40 he is back. So many euro's and unexpected underclassmen like Diallo with potential sometimes stay and jump you at the end of the 1st because a team at the end of the first will take an investment or wants to stash you in Europe not to waste cap and a roster spot.

Still just wish Semi luck in making the right decision. Would be so great if he is back.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby longbuzzer » Mon May 08, 2017 10:57 am

Don't mean to get too technical, but does WDNWHA apply to Semi, mindful of his contributions to our program thus far?

I am not privy to the precise list of qualifications required for this designation.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 am

No. Obviously WDWHA. The issue here is that if he does leave it is for a career outside of school and not to another school. Anyone who has given us what he has is a WDWHA for life.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby longbuzzer » Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 am

Thank you for your prompt reply. I find the logic behind the designation process reassuring.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed May 10, 2017 10:47 am

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... urn-school

Semi Ojeleye, SMU Mustangs
After barely getting off the bench in his first two seasons at Duke, the 6-foot-7 combo forward thrived at SMU. He averaged 19.0 PPG and shot 42 percent on 3-pointers. "I really like him and think he could sneak into the end of the first round," one NBA executive said. "He could play a small-ball 4-man." Another said: "I don't see a first-rounder, but others do. He's already graduated and almost 23 years old. I think he should leave."
Range: 25 to 40
NBA says: Split decision
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed May 10, 2017 11:40 am

My working assumption is that Semi will go pro. If that happens, I'll be sad to lose him, but also happy for him to have such a great opportunity.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby FriscoPMG » Wed May 10, 2017 12:02 pm

NBC Sports has him all the way to the 21st pick in their mock...
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/05/10/2017-nba-mock-draft-the-first-round/

21. Oklahoma City Thunder: Semi Ojeleye, SMU. Played as a stretch four last season and showed to be a good shooter, but he’s undersized for that role in the NBA. Can he play the three?
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby deucetz » Wed May 10, 2017 1:57 pm

He should go. He already has a degree in hand. If he wants an MBA, he can get into a top 10 after his playing career that will give him a scholarship. All of his weaknesses can be honed in the NBA. This combine will be huge in determining where he is drafted. He needs to just ball out.

Unless he does a Buddy Hield, he shouldn't come back.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Dwan » Wed May 10, 2017 2:30 pm

From a non-emotional, business point of view, there is no reason for him to come back. He could not have had a better year on the court, his age works against him, he has his degree and the things that prevent him from going higher are things he cant work on in college.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Wed May 10, 2017 2:57 pm

You guys are doing a nice job talking about why you'd leave, but nobody has touched on Semi, his motivations and end game.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dwan » Wed May 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Correct, that is why I said from a "non-emotional business point of view."
Dwan
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed May 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Dwan wrote:From a non-emotional, business point of view, there is no reason for him to come back. He could not have had a better year on the court, his age works against him, he has his degree and the things that prevent him from going higher are things he cant work on in college.

I don't necessarily agree strictly from a business POV. I get he had a great year and raised his stock. IMO Business wise if he doesn't get any solid first round guarantees and would likely be a 2nd round pick he could come back and have a more "complete year". Improve rebounding (especially defensive), on-ball defense, add more moves to his game (not just a straight line driver), ball handling, have an all-american year, etc. Next years draft is not as deep and he could find his way somewhere between 18-25 much easier, which means guaranteed money. He is already an "older" prospect so one more year doesn't change how he is seen as a prospect (like Hield). If he gets first round guarantees I agree from a business POV he should for sure go.

I get Semi is a different cat and might come back because of emotional/personal reasons, as well. Don't think anyone "knows" for certain right now what he will do. We will find out fairly soon though.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed May 10, 2017 5:58 pm

One of the 2 Arkansas kids that declared early even wrote an emotional goodbye to the Arkansas fans when he declared. Now they have both returned for another year.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dwan » Wed May 10, 2017 8:03 pm

He is not injured this year for the draft. Cant for sure say the same thing about next year.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby Black Horseshoe » Thu May 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Black Horseshoe
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball