PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Semi Testing the NBA Waters (Did not hire agent)

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Semi Testing the NBA Waters (Did not hire agent)

Postby Cort » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:01 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Cort wrote:I know they were talking about redshirting Jahmal McMurray with Jimmy Whitt and Shake being in the backcourt. But if Semi Leaves, you would have to assume that this changes things....

I mean, wouldn't we be talking playing Fricken Jarrey some at the 4 haha?

Guard Heavy... Shake, Gu, Whitt, Jarrey, McMurray, Douglas.

Big minutes for the two Frosh Forwards? Or do we just stick 4 guards out there?

I hadn't heard about redshirting McMurray, interesting. Mostly had heard he would be eligible and play at the end of the first semester in December. I doubt he redshirts, unless he asks to be redshirted.

If Semi leaves I wouldn't be shocked to see Jarrey play some small ball 4(like KU did with Josh Jackson this year), but the frontcourt pieces are still VERY much in motion.

I was told that with the way Whitt was performing in practice, they talked about getting McMurray to redshirt and get him more eligibility. This way they could get Douglas and Elijah more PT in that already crowded backcourt.

But your right, they would have to get the Green Light from McMurray I would assume.

But would assume they need the bodies if Semi leaves if they want to make some noise in the Conference.
Cort
Junior Varsity

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:09 pm

I do hope they redshirt McMurray. Worked out well for Semi.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:06 pm

Cort wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:
Cort wrote:I know they were talking about redshirting Jahmal McMurray with Jimmy Whitt and Shake being in the backcourt. But if Semi Leaves, you would have to assume that this changes things....

I mean, wouldn't we be talking playing Fricken Jarrey some at the 4 haha?

Guard Heavy... Shake, Gu, Whitt, Jarrey, McMurray, Douglas.

Big minutes for the two Frosh Forwards? Or do we just stick 4 guards out there?

I hadn't heard about redshirting McMurray, interesting. Mostly had heard he would be eligible and play at the end of the first semester in December. I doubt he redshirts, unless he asks to be redshirted.

If Semi leaves I wouldn't be shocked to see Jarrey play some small ball 4(like KU did with Josh Jackson this year), but the frontcourt pieces are still VERY much in motion.

I was told that with the way Whitt was performing in practice, they talked about getting McMurray to redshirt and get him more eligibility. This way they could get Douglas and Elijah more PT in that already crowded backcourt.

But your right, they would have to get the Green Light from McMurray I would assume.

But would assume they need the bodies if Semi leaves if they want to make some noise in the Conference.

Yeah, if Semi isn't back then I think you would need McMurray's scoring prowess in conference for sure. Also, would depend on how ready the freshman are to contribute. If we are full up (everyone back, add a grad-transfer, and freshman are ready) redshirting him and him having 2 full years of eligibility would be good and maybe a conversation you have with him. However, McMurray would/should be a solid contributor next season though so tough to shirt him and keep him off the court.

It did work well for Semi, but most people want to play ASAP and don't redshirt in that situation (that is a long time to sit out). Semi would have played and not redshirted, if we had been eligible for post-season play that season.

Also, been hearing the same thing about Whitt. Excited to see him in action next season. Thanks for sharing, Cort.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Cort » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:48 pm

If Semi leaves I wouldn't be shocked to see Jarrey play some small ball 4(like KU did with Josh Jackson this year), but the frontcourt pieces are still VERY much in motion.[/quote]

But would assume they need the bodies if Semi leaves if they want to make some noise in the Conference.[/quote]

Yeah, if Semi isn't back then I think you would need McMurray's scoring prowess in conference for sure. Also, would depend on how ready the freshman are to contribute. If we are full up (everyone back, add a grad-transfer, and freshman are ready) redshirting him and him having 2 full years of eligibility would be good and maybe a conversation you have with him. However, McMurray would/should be a solid contributor next season though so tough to shirt him and keep him off the court.

It did work well for Semi, but most people want to play ASAP and don't redshirt in that situation (that is a long time to sit out). Semi would have played and not redshirted, if we had been eligible for post-season play that season.

Also, been hearing the same thing about Whitt. Excited to see him in action next season. Thanks for sharing, Cort.[/quote]

Just Think How deep that team would have been if Semi had played and we did not have the Ban. "What if"

Tolbert
Markus
Semi
Ben Moore
Sterling Brown
Nic Moore
Shake
Jarrey
Cort
Junior Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:37 pm

NBA net site has Semi at #36 to Utah now. Wonder if that is accurate and if he would prefer to come back to aim for first round.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:01 pm

I think the general consensus is, if you're not a projected first rounder you go back to school
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 pm

That is what I did.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:00 am

mrydel wrote:That is what I did.

Word on the street is that you were a "rounder" but no mention of "first". :?
Bergermeister

Postby mrydel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:35 am

And getting rounder by the meal.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby MFFL02 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:13 pm

I have just learned that Semi is applying for an MBA at the Cox school...read into this what you want.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Much better leak than your last one
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby 78pony » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:46 pm

MFFL02 wrote:I have just learned that Semi is applying for an MBA at the Cox school...read into this what you want.

Ring, ring, ring: Hi, this is David Miller and I need to speak with...right now!
78pony
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:07 pm

MFFL02 wrote:I have just learned that Semi is applying for an MBA at the Cox school...read into this what you want.

I think they should accept him
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby skyscraper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:22 pm

:)
skyscraper

Postby leopold » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:24 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

I think they should accept him

I think he should apply for a doctorate.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball