PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Transfer market

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Transfer market

Postby mrydel » Wed May 03, 2017 9:51 am

Does it help to worry? If so I will start to worry also but that has never worked for me before.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed May 03, 2017 11:51 am

It is late in the game. It is not looking like anything yet though. Semi is not decided. Grad-Transfer market is still there. It is not like we have been striking out (outside of missing on Brooks versus the national champs UNC) we are waiting for the right fit.

There is a possibility Semi isn't back. I don't think there is a possibility we don't add another big if he is gone and likely will if he is back. If Semi is back and we add a competent grad-transfer we will have double the "bigs" we had last year. Even if Semi is gone if we add a solid 20-25 minute a game good rebounder and defender we wouldn't be in any different "big" situation then we were last year. And we would rely on our talented backcourt for the rest. UC plays their style and we play ours. We are more of a 4 out 1 in style team now that team rebounds with long wings. And also use big wings/hybrid Forwards (like Semi, Foster, and in the future Mike) playing the 4, which is more like another 3. Position-less basketball

We will know about Semi by the end of the month and likely have at least clarity on adding a grad-transfer or another big if not know for certain. It is going to be an interesting next few weeks.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Thu May 04, 2017 12:47 pm

I think its a sizable reach for anyone to assume weve permanently chosen positionless hoops as our definitive style. Many of our signings dont speak to that notion
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu May 04, 2017 1:30 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I think its a sizable reach for anyone to assume weve permanently chosen positionless hoops as our definitive style. Many of our signings dont speak to that notion

I wasn't trying to say we have chosen positionless hoops. See Landrum & McMurray. I dont think we are a full on positionless hoops squad. Where I think Jank has shown he is headed (looking at 2017 & 2018 classes) is in the direction more of an athletic/skilled frontcourt preference over a frontcourt of size, shot blockers, and physicality.

I think Jank likes the idea of a true PG and don't think we are going full positionless, but I think he is going for more interchangeable pieces at the frontcourt spots and for long athletic wings. He seems to be going where all 5 guys can shoot the 3 or at least have good shooting potential. Don't think it's about position-less hoops all around, more like going in the direction of a specific type of player in the frontcourt. The frontcourt being more of an skilled hybrid (3/4/5) lacking a true position type rather than a bruiser and a true 5 or true 4. Even though I would be happy if he added 1 athletic-bruiser type.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Tue May 16, 2017 7:31 am

Dwight Coleby to leave Kansas, will be immediately eligible at transfer destination

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kansascity ... 96997.html
deucetz
All-American

Postby RI Stang » Tue May 16, 2017 8:27 am

With Semi leaving - any chance we consider taking TWO grad transfers?
RI Stang
All-American

Postby BleedSMUPride » Tue May 16, 2017 8:35 am

One grad transfer is a must. I would love two. I don't think we'd take a second one just for the sake of taking one, but I think we have so many good guards, I'd hate to waste such a good group due to lack of quality or ready big men.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby RI Stang » Tue May 16, 2017 8:42 am

Obviously if we added both Coleby and Agau, our front court depth changes dramatically and would allow more time for Ray and Chargois to progress. Just have to balance that versus the scholarship restrictions I guess. And of course that assumes we could actually land both - was hoping Agau would commit before he left campus.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue May 16, 2017 8:48 am

RI Stang wrote:Obviously if we added both Coleby and Agau, our front court depth changes dramatically and would allow more time for Ray and Chargois to progress. Just have to balance that versus the scholarship restrictions I guess. And of course that assumes we could actually land both - was hoping Agau would commit before he left campus.

We could add two, but I'm sure both want to start and neither is a 4 so it would be a real tough sell to land both of them. I just want to add 1 of them (and we should be able too). I wouldn't be opposed to adding another player if it is the right fit or staying put so we can have a 2 person 2018 class rather than 0-1.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Tue May 16, 2017 8:58 am

This will really tell us how good of a recruiting staff we have if they can't land either of them. We have the facilities, the fan support, and the pieces for a good/great team, we just need one of them to commit.

I can't wait to see what Jank is able to do without scholarship restrictions. How many scholarships do we need to give up in order to meet the scholarship restrictions?
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 am

deucetz wrote:This will really tell us how good of a recruiting staff we have if they can't land either of them. We have the facilities, the fan support, and the pieces for a good/great team, we just need one of them to commit.

I can't wait to see what Jank is able to do without scholarship restrictions. How many scholarships do we need to give up in order to meet the scholarship restrictions?

We can play with the scholarships how we want. It's 4 scholarships over the next two years. We can do option A) sign two more people this year and have 12 scholarship players(-1) next year meaning we can only have 10 scholarship players in 18-19 (-3)(further meaning we can't sign anyone in 2018 class unless attrition, so likely only a 1 person class at most since we would have to wait until late period) OR Option B) we can sign 1 more this year in and have 11 Scholarship players for next year (-2) and have 11 scholarship players in 18-19(-2) which would mean we could sign a 2 person class without attrition in 2018, more with.

I am pro option B, unless an amazing options comes open. I think if Coleby visits he commits. So I tend to think we get Coleby unless Agau pulls the trigger soon (which he might).
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Tue May 16, 2017 9:29 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:We can play with the scholarships how we want. It's 4 scholarships over the next two years. We can do option A) sign two more people this year and have 12 scholarship players(-1) next year meaning we can only have 10 scholarship players in 18-19 (-3)(further meaning we can't sign anyone in 2018 class unless attrition, so likely only a 1 person class at most) OR Option B) we can sign 1 more this year in and have 11 Scholarship players for next year and have 11 scholarship players in 18-19(-2) which would mean we could sign a 2 person class without attrition in 2018 more with.

I am pro option B, unless an amazing options comes open. I think if Coleby visits he commits. So I tend to think we get Coleby unless Agau pulls the trigger soon (which he might).

I agree that we should use Option B in order for us to get the most out of each class. If we go all in this year, we won't be as competitive next year. I really hope Shake develops so he is gone next year to the NBA.

In order for Jank to to get prospective NBA players from high school, he needs to get players to the league and win tournament games. Option B will give him the best chance to win tournament games, and thus get players to the league.
deucetz
All-American

Postby BleedSMUPride » Tue May 16, 2017 9:51 am

Would there be any incentive (or maybe its not an incentive) for Agau over Coleby for the possibility of having him for 2 years instead of 1? That way after this year (If we had 2 grad transfers this year) and if shake leaves, you could bring back all guys who were on the team last year? But it would risk one of the freshman bigs leaving and we would get no freshman recruits for this next class.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Tue May 16, 2017 11:06 am

I'll take the continuity of a 2 year player over a 1 year player. Plus after the sanctions are over we will have a couple more scholarships to give out which we could use on transfers to balance out the classes.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue May 16, 2017 11:26 am

BleedSMUPride wrote:Would there be any incentive (or maybe its not an incentive) for Agau over Coleby for the possibility of having him for 2 years instead of 1? That way after this year (If we had 2 grad transfers this year) and if shake leaves, you could bring back all guys who were on the team last year? But it would risk one of the freshman bigs leaving and we would get no freshman recruits for this next class.

I know more about Coleby than I do Agau, but I am starting to lean more toward wanting Agau. Mainly because of the potential of having him two years would be huge. That being said I think Coleby can be a real effective big man for us this year. Not quite the athlete that Agau is, but is much more physical and still a solid athlete when healthy (was still recovering from ACL injury for first half of KU's season). I think they would probably be similar impact additions, but think Agau has an extra year to get to his ceiling and be a athletic rebounding big man.

I would be absolutely shocked if we added both. The staff was always looking to add a big no matter what Semi did, but now that he left I don't think they are desperate to replace Semi with someone like Agau or Coleby. I think they will stay at 11/just add one, which is what I am hoping for. We have some real nice 2018 targets we are in good position with and Everett Ray has a college ready body and should be able to give some solid contributor minutes next year, while Jarrey also plays alot at the "4".
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball