PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Transfer market

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Transfer market

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:18 am

So it's well known SMU is in the market for a transfer big so let's have a thread to discuss potential targets.

I'll start with Chase Jeter a 6'10 player from duke. He had an injury this year that derailed his season. Was a top 100 recruit out of high school. His stats aren't impressive but he was getting minutes making me think he was in the plans as a role player.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Re: Transfer market

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:32 am

Would LOVE to get Chase Jeter. He is from vegas and pretty sure he said he wants to go somewhere closer to home, but we should contact him. I will add to this.

Grad-Transfer (F/C):
MiKyle McIntosh- Illinois State 6'7 (12PPG 5.6RPG) (No list yet, tons of interest, hearing Wiscy among other B1G schools)(Wouldn't be surprised to see us make a run)
Sean Obi- Duke 6’9 (Didn’t play much);11.4PPG and 9.3 PPG as frosh at Rice. (Maryland)
Khris Lane- Longwoord (6’6-6'7 F- 17PPG 7RPG) (VCU)
Jack Whitman- William & Mary 6’9 (10PPG 5.5RPG) (Visiting GW, Clemson)(UNC Canceled)
Kerem Kanter- Green Bay-6’10 (11PPG 6.3RPG) (Xavier)
Hans Brase- Princeton (6’9- 11.5PPG 7.5RPG in 2015-16) (Visiting Nebraska, Clemson)
Roschon Prince LBSU (6’6-235-9.5PPG 7.0RPG) (Detroit)
Chris Sengfelder- Fordham 6’7 (12PPG 5RPG)-(Boise)
Kameron Rooks- Cal 7'1 ( 5ppg 4.5rpg) (Asked for Release)
Mark Donnal- Michigan- 6'9 (Career 5.4PPG/2.8RPG) (Clemson)
Darien Williams- 6'9 St. John's (3PPG 3.5RPG) (Visiting Pitt & Nevada)
Ahmed Hamdy- 6'9 VCU (TCU)
Jeff Beverly- 6'6 UTSA (16PPG 6RPG) (ISU Lean)

Regular Transfer (F/C):
Chase Jeter- Duke (6'10) So. (West Coast schools only)
Carlton Bragg- KU-6'10 (6.1PPG 5.3RPG) (ILL, Cincy, ASU)
Isiaha Mike- Duquesne 6'8 (11PPG 5.8RPG) (SMU)
Josh Nebo- St. Francis (6'9, So.- 12PPG, 8.3RPG & 2.6 BPG) From Houston, NEC Defensive POY (A&M)
Dante Williams- K-State 7’0 (Mid-year-transfer) From DFW (No SMU Interest)
Evan Maxwell C, Kansas (6-10, 245). 10 PPG, 5 RPG (at liberty 2015-16)
Steven Enoch- UConn 6'11 (Louisville)

Freshman:
Garrison Brooks (UNC)
Kenny Wooten (Oregon)
Mamoudou Diarra (Visited Cincy and UConn)(Wants to play the 3)
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 10 times in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:53 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:Would LOVE to get Chase Jeter. He is from vegas and pretty sure he said he wants to go somewhere closer to home, but we should contact him.

I've made somewhat of a list of guys already:
Grad-Transfer (F/C):
Khris Lane- Longwoord (6’6-6'7 F- 17PPG 7RPG)
Hans Brase- Princeton (6’9- 11.5PPG 7.5RPG in 2015-16) Unlikely season-ending injury
Roschon Prince LBSU (6’6-235-9.5PPG 7.0RPG)

Regular Transfer (F/C):
Chase Jeter- Duke (6'10) So.
Josh Nebo- St. Francis (6'9, So.- 12PPG, 8.3RPG & 2.6 BPG) From Houston, NEC Defensive POY
Evan Maxwell C, Kansas (6-10, 245). 10 PPG, 5 RPG (at liberty 2015-16)
Dante Williams- K-State 7’0 (Mid-year-transfer)

Yes, he did mention being closer to home. SMU is a lot closer than Duke, if you want to look at that statement optimistically.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... EM_ID=4200
Dukie
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Nevada seems to be the major favorite to land Jeter. But maybe Semi met him on his recruiting trip and can make a sales pitch for us.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Does anyone know the rules regarding 'recruiting' transfers? Does a school have to wait until someone announces that they are transferring to be in contact? Can a school be in contact or does can the student contact them only?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MFFL02 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Need an experienced big bad.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby Ponymon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Michael J. Porter just came back on the market!

http://tinyurl.com/khysl8g
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyBait » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:12 pm

Ponymon wrote:Michael J. Porter just came back on the market!

We have 0% chance of landing Porter. He's gunna go join his dad at Mizzou and then be off to the NBA after a year. Plus won't win any sort of championship.
PonyBait
Scout Team

Postby Ponymon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:16 pm

PonyBait wrote:

We have 0% chance of landing Porter. He's gunna go join his dad at Mizzou and then be off to the NBA after a year. Plus won't win any sort of championship.

He also has a 6'10" younger brother that is looking to re-classify to this year as I recall. He is also highly rated.
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Ponymon wrote:
PonyBait wrote:

He also has a 6'10" younger brother that is looking to re-classify to this year as I recall. He is also highly rated.

Yeah, I think he already has a top 4 and is either going to end up at Mizzou with his dad (most likely) or at OU with Trae Young. Of course either would be a great get, but we have no chance and aren't trying. They are a package deal.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:56 am

Kameron Rooks from Cal (7 footer) is transferring and immediately eligible. Great size but hasn't put up much in terms of number (or minutes) in his time at Cal. Son of the late Sean Rooks - not sure if George Lynch ever played with Rooks or not, may know the family if we have any interest.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Not sure, but Lynch and Rooks almost played together with the Lakers. However at the same time LA brought Sean onboard they traded George to Vancouver. This would have been mid-90's.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Does anyone know the rules regarding 'recruiting' transfers? Does a school have to wait until someone announces that they are transferring to be in contact? Can a school be in contact or does can the student contact them only?

If you're playing by the rules, then you are NOT supposed to solicit a transfer, The player has to make the initial contact, and has to inform his original school that he's doing it. If a player contacts another school without telling his original school, then the coach at the second school MUST inform the original school that he's been contacted by the player. After initial contact, that specific school can stay in touch with the player, but schools the player hasn't contacted cant, first contact must be made by the player. Another school cannot give a player a scholarship until he is released from his original school. Thats the rules.

The reality is that only a minority of transfers follow the rule book. Most have people behind the scenes, relatives, high school or AAU coaches, agents, etc. that have stayed in touch with college coaches that originally recruited them, and the behind the scenes people will have conversations with recruiters that fall outside the guidelines. It's called tampering, and it's a violation, but it's almost impossible to enforce. You have to be very blatant to get caught.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby RI Stang » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:39 pm

There is zero question in my mind that Semi is being CONSTANTLY contacted (or his people in his inner circle are being contacted) by other programs for him to transfer there as a grad transfer. Not saying I think he'll go that route (I don't - I think he enters draft or comes back), but I'm quite certain he's being recruited plenty, even though that is against the rules.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyBait » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:23 pm

RI Stang wrote:There is zero question in my mind that Semi is being CONSTANTLY contacted (or his people in his inner circle are being contacted) by other programs for him to transfer there as a grad transfer. Not saying I think he'll go that route (I don't - I think he enters draft or comes back), but I'm quite certain he's being recruited plenty, even though that is against the rules.

Why would you think so? Because he's a good player? I don't think anyone thinks that Semi would do anything outside of returning or declaring. I think any program who had someone in charge with a brain in their head wouldn't waste their time.
PonyBait
Scout Team

Next

Return to Basketball