PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Another Duke Player Looking To Transfer

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Another Duke Player Looking To Transfer

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:12 am

At least TCU fans are curious enough to ask if he is any good.....

http://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php? ... er.208463/
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:17 am

We should put former SID Jon Jackson back on the payroll...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BleedSMUPride » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:06 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Recent success:
SMU - two NCAA tourney appearances and two conference championships in last three years. Ranked in the top 25 over 30 weeks the past three years. NIT runner up.
TCU - hasn't made the tourney since the 90s. NIT champions. Never finished above .500 in the Big 12. Ranked one week in past ten years.
Advantage - SMU

Attendance:
SMU - almost every home game is a sellout regardless of opponent.
TCU - around 3,000 per game unless they are playing Kansas.
Advantage - SMU

TV:
SMU - every game on the ESPN family of networks
TCU - you might get to play on FS1 sometimes.
Advantage - SMU

Conference:
SMU -AAC
TCU - Big 12
Advantage - slightly to TCU but when Bolden become eligible, Wichita St will be in the fold. SMU, Cincy, UConn, Memphis, Wichita St, Temple, UH and Tulsa. Not too far off from Kansas, UT, OU, Baylor, Iowa St, K-State and WV.

Cities:
SMU - Dallas
TCU - Cowtown
Advantage - SMU

I agree with all those except the conference part. Big 12 is still an advantage over AAC. They still get over half their conference in the tourney every year and Kansas is Kansas, and Baylor, Iowa St., K-state, and WV are top 25 teams basically every year. Even if we are better than some of those team, we don't get the same respect
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony147 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Also disagree on the TV. I think TCU gets a bump because ESPN/Fox loves Big 12 ratings
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Big 12 >>>>> AAC. Should he go to TCU, I can imagine that is a major reason
Pony ^

Postby SMUstangs22 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:44 pm

He is already in a great conference. This is about playing time and we can sell the S out of that and Semi. I feel like we would be the logical choice. That, of course, is why I think he won't come to SMU.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Smulaw90 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:47 pm

I think initially with any recruit, the Big 12 would have a significant advantage over the AAC.

However, to a transfer who is leaving a big program and didn't get any playing time and very little recognition, the focus should be: (1) where can I get immediate play; (2) where can I play and potentially be the go to guy; (3) which school fits my other goals/educational needs; and (4) which school will promote me and the team?

At SMU, basketball is king right now. We've been on the national radar for the last 4 years.

TCU is just now getting recognition, but football is still king there and the basketball team, may or may not, be better next year. I think if Semi returns, SMU starts next season as a Top 20. Possibly Top 15 with Boldin.

Also, purple is a god awful color except on Prince.
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Pony ^ wrote:Big 12 >>>>> AAC. Should he go to TCU, I can imagine that is a major reason

SMUstangs22 wrote:He is already in a great conference. This is about playing time and we can sell the S out of that and Semi. I feel like we would be the logical choice. That, of course, is why I think he won't come to SMU.

It is going to be a SMU-TCU battle.

TCU's big selling points: The Big 12, the prior relationship/familiarity from his recruitment, an up and coming program, and a reasonable sell of PT.

SMU's are: Ton's of guaranteed PT due to lack of true Bigs, play on a winning team, that wins championships, Semi experience/success of becoming a star and vaulting up draft boards, likely being featured in the frontcourt, and Dallas life.

22 is right, our best sell over TCU is TONS of PT, being featured, and Semi being such a success and star. Bolden wants to gets lots of PT, be a star, and go to the NBA.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Great point 22. I'm certainly not arguing that the AAC is as strong as the Big 12 but I don't think gap is as large as most believe, especially when we add Wichita St. the bottom is where the Big 12 would dominate the AAC.

LA_Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:55 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:It is going to be a SMU-TCU battle.

TCU's big selling points: The Big 12, the prior relationship/familiarity from his recruitment, an up and coming program, and a reasonable sell of PT.

SMU's are: Ton's of guaranteed PT due to lack of true Bigs, play on a winning team, that wins championships, Semi experience/success of becoming a star and vaulting up draft boards, likely being featured in the frontcourt, and Dallas life.

22 is right, our best sell over TCU is TONS of PT, being featured, and Semi being such a success and star. Bolden wants to gets lots of PT, be a star, and go to the NBA.

This^.

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:59 pm

I have 2 concerns when it comes to a recruiting battle with TCU for this guy. My primary concern is Big 12 vs AAC, Which clearly favors TCU and anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves (just look at how the committee treats the AAC). My secondary concern is Dixon vs Jank. I'm not saying Jank isn't a great coach or a good recruiter it's just that Jank is still a relatively unknown known while Dixon can truthfully brag about the well known big men he had shepherd through Pitt during his highly successful time there.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyBait » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:05 pm

Pony_Law wrote:I have 2 concerns when it comes to a recruiting battle with TCU for this guy. My primary concern is Big 12 vs AAC, Which clearly favors TCU and anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves (just look at how the committee treats the AAC). My secondary concern is Dixon vs Jank. I'm not saying Jank isn't a great coach or a good recruiter it's just that Jank is still a relatively unknown known while Dixon can truthfully brag about the well known big men he had shepherd through Pitt during his highly successful time there.

I definitely agree that Dixon has an impressive coaching past to talk about during a visit, but as long as Jank gets someone on the phone (which I'm sure he will do with Bolden) then he has a very impressive list of HCs he has worked for. It would be tough to speak with Jank and not walk away impressed by him
PonyBait
Scout Team

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:51 pm

Disagree on the conference and TV- conference is a big edge for TCU right now since the AAC has been down, and Big 12 gets plenty of ESPN exposure

Sell him on the Semi transfer experience, immediate opportunity for ample playing time, and the experience of playing at SMU in Dallas- sold out arena, celebrities in the crowd, and a school/fan base that's arguably more interested in basketball than football at this point. A lot of TCU folks couldn't care less about their basketball team, even with Dixon coming on board, and probably wont until they're making tournament appearances- it's a football school by a mile (for good reason).
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby EastStang » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:18 pm

Playing time, playing time, playing time. The guy wants to play and not ride pine. He has a much better chance here than TCU. Add in academics and life after hoops and we have an advantage. Big XII hoops is good, but definitely in 5th place among the bigs. ACC, PAC 12, B1G, and SEC all are ahead of them right now. And ACC, B1G have network contracts along with BE which means exposure to the many folks who have basic cable. I would put them ahead of the AAC in terms of strength of competition. We do have Tulane, ECU, and USF. I read an article in the Washington Post on Sunday that UCF is investing tons of money in its sports complex. We have some basketball legend teams that need to brush the rust off and we'll be fine. Temple, UH, Memphis, Tulsa, UConn all had down years, but all have elite 8 and three have Final Four appearances including UConn with two titles. Add in us and Cincy and perhaps Wichita State and you have as many as 8 teams which could really make our conference special. Good thing in hoops it takes only 2-3 superior recruits to make you great or 5 really good recruits with some senior leadership.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby gostangs » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:29 pm

you can take academics and life after basketball off your list - no player we want gives two cents about either of those things.

From the players perspective, high end basketball program need to shovel kids into paying basketball jobs. That's what they are choosing.
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball