PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Best road trip

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Best road trip

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:35 am

in the AAC. My list:

1. Cincy - always a tough place to play and a huge game for the conference. Cincy is decent city, I guess but this is all about the matchup. Plus, you'll probably get to see/meet Terry Webster.
2. WSU - new kid on the block and a VERY tough place to win. It will be a crazy environment for all the top schools in our conference. As for Wichita, well the game should be great.
3. Memphis - it's still a proud program and Memphis is a fun place to visit.
4. Temple - we struggle there and they have great fans and history. And it's Philly.
5. Houston - close and the game is always tough. Everyone knows people in Houston, and like Dallas, Houston has great bars and food.
6. Tulane - only because it's an easy win and NOLA. NOLA is so great it makes the worst program in our conference a must go road trip.
7. UConn - biggest name in the conference and always meaningful but too far away and there's nothing to do there.
8. Tulsa - drivable and usually a good game. Plus, they hate us.
9. UCF - Improvibg program and Orlando is Orlando. I probably should have this trip higher.
10. USF - horrible game but Tampa has a lot to offer.
11. ECU - horrible game but decent fan base. Nothing to do there as far as I know,
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Best road trip

Postby mrydel » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:46 am

My best road trip is to Moody.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:55 pm

If "things to do" are a factor, WSU should be dead last. Like you say, game should be fun, but the arena is one of those nasty round ones.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:38 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:If "things to do" are a factor, WSU should be dead last. Like you say, game should be fun, but the arena is one of those nasty round ones.

Apparently you have never been to Hartford or worse Storrs
smupony94

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:51 pm

i was reading where Koch Arena had a 25 million dollar renovation.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks for the shout out. Free ribs for you next if you get to the queen city.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 pm

smupony94 wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:If "things to do" are a factor, WSU should be dead last. Like you say, game should be fun, but the arena is one of those nasty round ones.

Actually, you're right. Haven't been to all so saying "last" may not be fair. Haven't been to Storrs.

There's actually a few decent restaurants in Wichita.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Rebel10 wrote:i was reading where Koch Arena had a 25 million dollar renovation.

Yes. It's decent. Been to a number of games there. Moody is WAY better.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby 78pony » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:43 pm

Cincy! Great town. Covington, KY right across from downtown via walkable bridge. Pro stadiums right on the river in downtown with fantastic view as you come into Cincy on I-75 from KY. This embarrasses me when I think of Arlington, Tarantino County, Texas.
78pony
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:53 am

LA_Mustang wrote:in the AAC. My list:

1. Cincy - always a tough place to play and a huge game for the conference. Cincy is decent city, I guess but this is all about the matchup. Plus, you'll probably get to see/meet Terry Webster.
2. WSU - new kid on the block and a VERY tough place to win. It will be a crazy environment for all the top schools in our conference. As for Wichita, well the game should be great.
3. Memphis - it's still a proud program and Memphis is a fun place to visit.
4. Temple - we struggle there and they have great fans and history. And it's Philly.
5. Houston - close and the game is always tough. Everyone knows people in Houston, and like Dallas, Houston has great bars and food.
6. Tulane - only because it's an easy win and NOLA. NOLA is so great it makes the worst program in our conference a must go road trip.
7. UConn - biggest name in the conference and always meaningful but too far away and there's nothing to do there.
8. Tulsa - drivable and usually a good game. Plus, they hate us.
9. UCF - Improvibg program and Orlando is Orlando. I probably should have this trip higher.
10. USF - horrible game but Tampa has a lot to offer.
11. ECU - horrible game but decent fan base. Nothing to do there as far as I know,

Like your list, LA, but I would put Tulsa higher.

I think if every school in this conference provided their list, SMU would be ranked #1.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:26 am

If you asked everyone in the conference, I suspect UCF & USF would rate higher (because of the FL factor in winter) along with Tulane & Temple (because of New Orleans & Philly as cities to visit). Can't imagine that SMU/Dallas would be 1st on too many people's lists. Believe it or not, a lot of people look at Dallas and Houston as somewhat "generic big cities". I think San Antonio may have the highest "tourist" value of any Texas city. Of course, when you consider the game itself and bball venue...yes, I would think SMU would be very high on the list along with Cincy & UConn. Just really depends on how long of a road trip you are considering. In and out of town for the game, SMU rates high on the list.

When we played in the WAC, I remember thinking Boise State was a great road trip because of the ski areas nearby...again, depending on how much time you were going to spend in the area
Charleston Pony

Postby SMULaxer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:53 am

1. Temple - Philly is an awesome city, a historical city, plus Temple is traditionally strong program -- might be able to check out a Penn or Drexel lax game while you're at it
2. Houston - Proximity plus rivalry move Houston up my list. There is nothing like starting a "just like football" chant in that crap arena they call home court, plus its easy to eat well in HTX
3. UCF - Orlando in the winter to face this up and coming program. Bring the golf clubs and check out Epcot I suppose
4. Tulane - NOLA life while enjoying our team throw it down on a JV program
5. Memphis - BBQ, Beale Street, traditionally strong program, and close proximity bumped Memphis up the list
6. USF - Tampa is on the water which is beautiful even in the winter, golf club friendly, and you get to see our team go Harlem Globetrotter on a squad - if this team could improve to UCF levels this would be #1
7. Cincy - Basketball trip only - if this program ever slips, I move cincy to last on this list. Their fans are annoying and Kenyon Martin is a punk. Ohio in the winter. Pushing it big time
8. Tulsa - Charming little town and fun little rivalry because we always dominate it. Proximity makes this one easy but I think returning would trigger PTSD
9. UCONN - tradition keeps this trip from falling to dead [deleted] last. Cold. Boring
10. ECU - Proximity to the water keeps this trip from dropping
11. WSU - Welcome to the conference. Strong team but truly located in the armpit of America. Shock that squids
Last edited by SMULaxer on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:14 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

Actually, you're right. Haven't been to all so saying "last" may not be fair. Haven't been to Storrs.

There's actually a few decent restaurants in Wichita.

Ranking of the Top Restaurants in Wichita:

1.) Applebee's - ask for the Pitino special
2.) On the Border - authentic mexican food in the heart of Wichita.
3.) Super Buffet - when you want Chinese and you are in Wichia - no better place.
4.) Arby's - America's Roast Beef - Yes Sir!
5.) Olive Garden - the true taste of Italy.
6.) Luby's Cafeteria - the options are endless.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:04 am

mrydel wrote:My best road trip is to Moody.

Doesn't count as a road trip for me if I can walk there in ten minutes.
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:07 am

PonyTime wrote:
Ranking of the Top Restaurants in Wichita:

1.) Applebee's - ask for the Pitino special
2.) On the Border - authentic mexican food in the heart of Wichita.
3.) Super Buffet - when you want Chinese and you are in Wichia - no better place.
4.) Arby's - America's Roast Beef - Yes Sir!
5.) Olive Garden - the true taste of Italy.
6.) Luby's Cafeteria - the options are endless.

Well done.

Actually Wichita's got a few pretty cool places. One example is Central Standard Brewing, which is a great place to grab a beer and a bite to eat before a game.
ponyboy

Next

Return to Basketball