PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Best road trip

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Best road trip

Postby CoxMustangFan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:49 pm

ponyboy wrote:
PonyTime wrote:
Ranking of the Top Restaurants in Wichita:

1.) Applebee's - ask for the Pitino special
2.) On the Border - authentic mexican food in the heart of Wichita.
3.) Super Buffet - when you want Chinese and you are in Wichia - no better place.
4.) Arby's - America's Roast Beef - Yes Sir!
5.) Olive Garden - the true taste of Italy.
6.) Luby's Cafeteria - the options are endless.

Well done.

Actually Wichita's got a few pretty cool places. One example is Central Standard Brewing, which is a great place to grab a beer and a bite to eat before a game.

Lol...not a fan of W-town, but they have a few decent options. You're only there for a short period of time, so you only need a few!
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:If you asked everyone in the conference, I suspect UCF & USF would rate higher (because of the FL factor in winter) along with Tulane & Temple (because of New Orleans & Philly as cities to visit). Can't imagine that SMU/Dallas would be 1st on too many people's lists.

This is not a list from Frommer's or Lonely Planet, if it was, I would agree with you, CP.

Reasons SMU is #1
SWA and AA both based in Dallas. Convenient and relatively cheap travel to Love Field for some destinations, DFW for others (now with DART directly from DFW to SMU).
Major city offers wide variety of things to do, weather also a plus.
Close proximity to many conference opponents.
Superior campus environment located in nice part of town.
Great facilities and game-day atmosphere.
Now-Elite BB team.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Good stuff. Thanks, Terry. I hope to get out there for the game in the next season or two.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Be great to meet you. Be really nice to have more than one SMU fan at a game. Be interesting next year playing the cats in NKU though. Smaller arena about 5 minutes from me. Maybe we can win one there. Cinci is a terrific city and place to live. We really love being here.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Wichita is the only one less than 8 hrs for me... so I'm ecstatic.

I really only care about the match up; not really a fan of any of the cities in our conference. (Never been to Philadelphia, but not particularly interested either.)
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:If you asked everyone in the conference, I suspect UCF & USF would rate higher (because of the FL factor in winter) along with Tulane & Temple (because of New Orleans & Philly as cities to visit). Can't imagine that SMU/Dallas would be 1st on too many people's lists. Believe it or not, a lot of people look at Dallas and Houston as somewhat "generic big cities". I think San Antonio may have the highest "tourist" value of any Texas city. Of course, when you consider the game itself and bball venue...yes, I would think SMU would be very high on the list along with Cincy & UConn. Just really depends on how long of a road trip you are considering. In and out of town for the game, SMU rates high on the list.

When we played in the WAC, I remember thinking Boise State was a great road trip because of the ski areas nearby...again, depending on how much time you were going to spend in the area
people from out of state want to visit Austin. They go to Houston and Dallas on business.
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:14 pm

ponyboy wrote:
PonyTime wrote:

3.) Super Buffet - when you want Chinese and you are in Wichia - no better place.

Well done.

Actually Wichita's got a few pretty cool places. One example is Central Standard Brewing, which is a great place to grab a beer and a bite to eat before a game.

I was born in Wichita. My Mom grew up in Pretty Prairie, KS not far from there. My grandma lived in Hutchinson (30 minutes away) for decades until she passed away two years ago. I still have a lot of family in Kansas. All that said, it's a terrible place to visit. WSU is in the ghetto. There's also a giant meth problem.

They did just build a new airport terminal right next to their old one that's quite nice, but that's about it.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Best road trip

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Cincy is a great road trip, even in winter. I'd put it in top 3, above Memphis even.

You guys way overrate Orlando. It was the worst trip I've taken the last two years. Absolutely no character to that city; Mickey is the closest and he's 30 minutes away and a thousand dollars a day. The campus is in the middle of nothing and there are no good hotels or interesting neighborhoods.

Tulsa is also underrated. Perfect trip for a weekend; great food, nice hotels, good people/fans that hate us.
smusic 00

Postby smupony94 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:37 pm

smusic 00 wrote:Cincy is a great road trip, even in winter. I'd put it in top 3, above Memphis even.

You guys way overrate Orlando. It was the worst trip I've taken the last two years. Absolutely no character to that city; Mickey is the closest and he's 30 minutes away and a thousand dollars a day. The campus is in the middle of nothing and there are no good hotels or interesting neighborhoods.

Tulsa is also underrated. Perfect trip for a weekend; great food, nice hotels, good people/fans that hate us.

Hoopmanx is teaching you well - gravitate to the schools that hate you
smupony94

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:50 pm

smusic 00 wrote:Cincy is a great road trip, even in winter. I'd put it in top 3, above Memphis even.

Endorsed on both counts
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony147 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:34 am

I hope we keep playing Tulane on MLK weekend. That's been a great trip for the past couple years.
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 am

Really enjoy going to Tulsa. Probably because it's incredibly fun to be hated so much and then dominate
Pony ^

Postby skyscraper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:40 pm

I like the Tulane and Houston trips. Haven't been to Tulsa, yet.
skyscraper

Postby max the wonder dog » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:12 am

ponyboy wrote:
PonyTime wrote:

Well done.

Ambassador Hotel in downtown Wichita is great and has a good restaurant and bar, an oasis on the plains. Free shuttle service from the airport and around town. And it's a Marriott property, so get your points.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:38 am

If you go to Orlando, downtown is where things happen! That place is ALIVE at night! Great restaurants and bars and activity.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball