PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

More Memphis Misery

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

More Memphis Misery

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:09 pm

Markel Crawford, the team's 2nd highest scorer last season, is transferring. Crawford is a red-shirt junior and will be immediately eligible.

Lost in the news about the Lawson twins is the transfer of Keon Clergot, a freshman guard who 3.8 pts. in 9.9 minutes pergame. Worth noting, he originally signed with Tubby at TX Tech.

The Tigers have picked up guard Kareen Brewton, the #22 ranked JUCO player and forward Kyvon Davenport the #19 ranked JUCO player.

The Tigers do have a 4 Star and two 3 Star freshmen coming in, giving them by my count, 7 scholarship players for next season.

In a move that must warm the heart of June Jones, Tubby has offered a scholarship to forward Matt Stanley, who has no other D1 offers, in an effort to lure him away from Ouachita Baptist in Arkadelphia, AR.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Re: More Memphis Misery

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:46 am

Memphis' "rivalry" with Tulane is about to get real!!!
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Is Crawford headed to Tulane? That would be great - they need help - they have not been any good since their players used to shave (and for the youngsters, I am not talking about Gillette or Bic).
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:22 pm

I don't know where Crawford is headed. But I was just reading an article about the fact that Memphis has had 6 guys announce transfers, are only bringing back 3 scholarship players, and appear to be backfilling with 2nd and 3rd tier recruits. Amazing how fast that dumpster fire burned totally out of control.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 pm

SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:42 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:I don't know where Crawford is headed. But I was just reading an article about the fact that Memphis has had 6 guys announce transfers, are only bringing back 3 scholarship players, and appear to be backfilling with 2nd and 3rd tier recruits. Amazing how fast that dumpster fire burned totally out of control.

At least the 2nd and 3rd tier recruits probably won't quit on him.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Charleston Pony

Postby max the wonder dog » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:49 am

Washington Post gets in a few licks:

It’s been nearly one year since Memphis hired Tubby Smith to replace Josh Pastner as its men’s basketball coach, and almost zero has gone right for the program in the interim.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/04/13/transferring-memphis-player-burns-every-possible-bridge-on-his-way-out/?utm_term=.1caa26822687
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby leopold » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Memphis gets back into it:

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basket ... erence=AAC

Tubby has gone out and signed a few JC players and now technically Memphis has the best recruiting class in the AAC with inroads into a few more quality players. To be sure, this doesn't fix all of Memphis problems, but Memphis will put a decent team on the court next season and Tubby has always been the 'coach 'em up' type. Looks to me like he traded 4*'s with no fight with possibly a couple of 3*'s with spines.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:13 am

leopold wrote:Memphis gets back into it:

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basket ... erence=AAC

Tubby has gone out and signed a few JC players and now technically Memphis has the best recruiting class in the AAC with inroads into a few more quality players. To be sure, this doesn't fix all of Memphis problems, but Memphis will put a decent team on the court next season and Tubby has always been the 'coach 'em up' type. Looks to me like he traded 4*'s with no fight with possibly a couple of 3*'s with spines.

That "Best Recruiting Class" is a little misleading. Memphis takes the top spot because they have more recruits that the other teams with the same number of 3 Stars. The rating also ignores SMU's two 4 Star transfers. I do hope Tubby can get some Ws out of them. The AAC doesn't need another RPI bottom feeder.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby leopold » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Absolutely - quantity means nothing without quality.

But the dumpster fire is now officially out. He also went out and beat Ole Miss and a few others for another kid, Kyvon Davenport, and has six signees now.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball