PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017 William Douglas Senior Year Highlites

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017 William Douglas Senior Year Highlites

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 am

Huge ceiling, perfect culture fit. Can't ask for more
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BleedSMUPride » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:47 am

Between him and McMurry and possibly Landrum, it will be a great relief to know we will be able to bring a scorer off the bench on a consistent basis and not rely on our starters to have to do everything
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:50 pm

It no longer feels strange to say, we're gonna be damn good for awhile
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:35 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I think/hope he will be an immediate contributor off the bench next year

I hope he competes for the starting position.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm still excited about being good for awhile. Funny though how my expectations have changed (like all of us). I'm just ready to get the "30 years without a tourney victory" monkey off our backs. Optimistic Douglas can be a legit contributor toward that next year.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:I think/hope he will be an immediate contributor off the bench next year

I hope he competes for the starting position.

I hope he does too. I think Whitt will likely be able to hold him off though (high hopes/expectations for him). I hope Douglas can beat out Gu for first guard off the bench, until McMurray is eligible. Going to be alot of competition/talent at the 1-3 spots next year.

Bright future ahead, indeed.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:34 pm

I wouldn't get too excited about him starting next year or even replacing Gu's role.

Christian Brothers HS, Briarcrest, Memphis University School...are these not the TN equivalents of St. Marks, Jesuit, Greenhill, etc here in Dallas?

He's got skills, but not sure that the HS competition is in the same universe as some of the other players HS competition (think Sterling, KF, Ben Moore, Kennedy, etc) that we have been watching at Moody for the last few years.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyUp_62 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:50 pm

PonyTime wrote:I wouldn't get too excited about him starting next year or even replacing Gu's role.

Christian Brothers HS, Briarcrest, Memphis University School...are these not the TN equivalents of St. Marks, Jesuit, Greenhill, etc here in Dallas?

He's got skills, but not sure that the HS competition is in the same universe as some of the other players HS competition (think Sterling, KF, Ben Moore, Kennedy, etc) that we have been watching at Moody for the last few years.

I went to Briarcrest, we had a pretty talented team and played decent competition. MUS is a power house sports school up there with the best. Christian Brothers is also a great sports school a notch down maybe from MUS depending on the year...

Regarding Gu, I would expect his playing time to drop a good bit... he just doesn't have it, was lucky to get sixth man of the year award.
PonyUp_62
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Football isn't the same as basketball because he played extensively on the AAU circuit where he competed against higher caliber players. In fact, if his private school coaches are good it might be a good combination to ground him in fundamentals.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyTime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:12 pm

PonyUp_62 wrote:
PonyTime wrote:I wouldn't get too excited about him starting next year or even replacing Gu's role.

I went to Briarcrest, we had a pretty talented team and played decent competition. MUS is a power house sports school up there with the best. Christian Brothers is also a great sports school a notch down maybe from MUS depending on the year...

Regarding Gu, I would expect his playing time to drop a good bit... he just doesn't have it, was lucky to get sixth man of the year award.

At one point I think those schools were recruiting players and the the privates in the state of TN were better than the publics in TN - but I thought all of that changed a few years back when there were some recruiting scandals within the private high schools (think Brentwood Academy in Nashville was the center of attention).

Stallion's AAU comments are right on - I forgot about that - if he was playing against the best on that circuit, then I am sure he will be ready to go.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 pm

hoopmanx wrote:It no longer feels strange to say, we're gonna be damn good for awhile

You most likely know as much about our next class' prospects as anybody so that's great to hear.

After shooting blanks on last year's class It might be a good idea to tap the breaks for a couple of quarters.

But if these guys can deliver, with Whitt, McMurray and then the right big it would mean we've successfully handled the scholarship restriction. That, in itself, would be huge.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Previous

Return to Basketball