PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Isiaha Mike visit

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Isiaha Mike visit

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:15 am

ponyinNC wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:A superficial review of his background indicates that out of high school he had a solid but nothing special college offer list. The Atlantic 10 is a reasonable, but nothing special conference and he did make the all rookie team with modest and reasonable stats to include 33% from the 3 point line. Why is he valued so high????

So your argument is that a kid can't be good because he wasn't heavily recruited in HS? Good luck with that.

Glad you aren't a front office guy. You'd have taken Jonny Flynn over Steph Curry. I mean, Flynn was MR basketball in NY.

Dummy

I think there might have been some kind of a disciplinary thing along the line as well. That might "brand" a kid for awhile. Some learn and grow others graduate to robbing 7-11's or go to Baylor.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:51 am

ponyinNC wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:A superficial review of his background indicates that out of high school he had a solid but nothing special college offer list. The Atlantic 10 is a reasonable, but nothing special conference and he did make the all rookie team with modest and reasonable stats to include 33% from the 3 point line. Why is he valued so high????

So your argument is that a kid can't be good because he wasn't heavily recruited in HS? Good luck with that.

Glad you aren't a front office guy. You'd have taken Jonny Flynn over Steph Curry. I mean, Flynn was MR basketball in NY.

Dummy

To be fair I think he was also looking at his stats at Duquesne as well. Which he indicated were modest but nothing that just jumped out at you.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:53 am

Jeff Goodman‏ @GoodmanESPN
South Florida has landed 7-foot Serbian Nikola Scekic, who was at Hutchinson CC this year, source told ESPN.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
ponyinNC wrote:

Dummy

To be fair I think he was also looking at his stats at Duquesne as well. Which he indicated were modest but nothing that just jumped out at you.

I don't see how his stats are "modest" for a freshman. Modest for a freshman forward to me would be 7PPG and 4RPG. Something along those lines for freshman. Stats that say I can play and do some stuff, but not a big time player yet (like Jimmy Whitt had modest stats at Arkansas as a frosh, but had tons of potential, i get that). But 11.3PPG and 5.8RPG for a freshman is real solid. Shake didn't quite have numbers that good in more minutes as a frosh and he had a real solid freshman year. I get Mike didn't average 16PPG and 9RPG, but show me a freshman who did in a top 8 conference that isn't projected to be a lottery pick (and most of them didn't). Also, the A10 isn't like the Colonial Conference its right about or right below the level of the AAC.

My point: Unless you are a McDonald's AA, any freshman forward in a top 8 conference, that averaged those numbers I would say had a real good freshman year and likely has alot of upside going forward. Wouldn't say "what's the big deal with this kid and those modest numbers."
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Goes back to the old high school recruitment dilemma when a kid comes out of a small school division; are the stats valid based on the limited quality of the competition? Are Mike's stats that good for a frosh and/or were they affected by modest competition. Gu had great stats as a frosh at VTech; what happened????
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:23 pm

he was good enough to win the MVP Trophy at an International NBA Camp in Toronto after picking up organized basketball in about the 9th grade. He was considered the 3rd best player in Canada too. Then he went to a Prep school in the United States for his final year of high school eligibility. His non-traditional background probably played a large part in his being overlooked ( ex.I can't even find any evidence that ever made it into the Rivals, Scout or 247 database) Your criticism of his freshman year numbers is really ridiculous. Telling stat-in second half of the season he scored over 20 points in 4 games-so he was putting it together

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/20/is ... basketball

As for his final year of high school eligibility:

Trinity International in Las Vegas, Nev. (head coach Greg Lockridge) ... averaged 27.6 points, 14.3 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.9 steals per game for a Trininty International team that advanced to to the National Christian Schools Athletic Association (NCSAA) Basketball Championship title game for the second consecutive year ... earned a spot on the NCSAA Basketball Championship All-Tournament Team

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-bask ... 16724.html
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smupony94 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:38 pm

smupony94

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:43 pm

How do you pronounce his name??? Isiah ha?
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:46 pm

Seriously if you can't get excited about a TRUE freshman with these skills then I don't know what to tell you-you don't even need to know what he did in high school because he performed in a quality mid-major conference

viciously attacks the basket
can adjust his shot when driving to the basket
outstanding on alley-opp/follow slam
runs the floor to lead the break with coordination
smooth, consistent form on 3 point jumper although he needs to improve somewhat on 33% shooting (Semi shot 34% in 1 1/2 at Duke)
great dribble drive to the hole
outstanding elevation/quick jumper
fade away/step back jumper
converted on several baseline/back door cuts easily losing the defender
6'8" 215 pounds already

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0-1J4xdky ... ure=oembed
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby PonyFan32 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Glad stallion made the comparison because I immediately thought he reminded me of semi when I saw his tape. Not to say he will be AAC POY but his skill set seems similar. Hope this pump fake gets as good as semi's
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:50 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:Glad stallion made the comparison because I immediately thought he reminded me of semi when I saw his tape. Not to say he will be AAC POY but his skill set seems similar. Hope this pump fake gets as good as semi's

Very similar skillset. Perhaps a bit faster up the floor and perhaps not as carved from stone. He does seem like we could very much be making an in-kind replacement there.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm tickled to death by this one. Isiaha is a very strong player who will it seems to me will absolutely thrive in Jank's system. Great get.
ponyboy

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:40 pm

I know this is debated often, and kids should commit to a school not a coach but I really think it is bs if a coach is fired and his recruits decide they want to leave afterwards, that they have to sit out a year to do so. If a school decides to go in a different direction, kids in that program shouldn't be punished for wanting to do the same.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:05 pm

most would agree if University fired the Coach but what if the Coach has been recruiting all year on school's dime and then the Coach leaves right after signing date-and with new early signing period in Football this will happen-already does in Basketball

Stallion

Postby 78pony » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Stallion wrote:Seriously if you can't get excited about a TRUE freshman with these skills then I don't know what to tell you-you don't even need to know what he did in high school because he performed in a quality mid-major conference

viciously attacks the basket
can adjust his shot when driving to the basket
outstanding on alley-opp/follow slam
runs the floor to lead the break with coordination
smooth, consistent form on 3 point jumper although he needs to improve somewhat on 33% shooting (Semi shot 34% in 1 1/2 at Duke)
great dribble drive to the hole
outstanding elevation/quick jumper
fade away/step back jumper
converted on several baseline/back door cuts easily losing the defender
6'8" 215 pounds already

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0-1J4xdky ... ure=oembed

Emphasis on viciously attacks the basket! Thanks, Stallion. I am giddy over this guy.
78pony
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball