PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Isiaha Mike visit

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Isiaha Mike visit

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:21 am

I thought we should start a separate thread for his visit. Another beautiful N Texas day - 80 and partly sunny. Let's do this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Isiaha Mike visit

Postby malonish » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 am

Prepare the coffee.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:20 am

Is the outdoor pool open? Always a highlight.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby gostangs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Looking forward to pouring Coach J a cup of nice hot Joe.
gostangs

Postby MFFL02 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:53 am

We need this guy!
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 am

A superficial review of his background indicates that out of high school he had a solid but nothing special college offer list. The Atlantic 10 is a reasonable, but nothing special conference and he did make the all rookie team with modest and reasonable stats to include 33% from the 3 point line. Why is he valued so high????
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:30 am

PonocoPony wrote:A superficial review of his background indicates that out of high school he had a solid but nothing special college offer list. The Atlantic 10 is a reasonable, but nothing special conference and he did make the all rookie team with modest and reasonable stats to include 33% from the 3 point line. Why is he valued so high????

Have you watched any of his footage from last season at Duquesne? He was definitely under recruited out of HS and I'm not sure the reason - location, late deveoping, coaching, whatever but he had stretches in A-10 games where he completely dominated. And the A-10 is not much different skill wise from the AAC.

Mike is confident, long, athletic and very skilled on the offensive end with a huge upside. It sucks that he has to sit out next season but this still a massive get IMO.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:35 am

Our guys tend to improve year over year. Compare his skillset to a Ben Moore or a Sterling when they were freshmen. Then look at the progression each year. Then factor in how Mike will fit in Jank's system. It's very difficult not to be ecstatic right now. We all know $hi+ happens but this one looks very special.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby smupony94 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:37 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:Our guys tend to improve year over year. Compare his skillset to a Ben Moore or a Sterling when they were freshmen. Then look at the progression each year. Then factor in how Mike will fit in Jank's system. It's very difficult not to be ecstatic right now. We all know $hi+ happens but this one looks very special.

Your enthusiasm is contagious
smupony94

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:57 pm

smupony94 wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:Our guys tend to improve year over year. Compare his skillset to a Ben Moore or a Sterling when they were freshmen. Then look at the progression each year. Then factor in how Mike will fit in Jank's system. It's very difficult not to be ecstatic right now. We all know $hi+ happens but this one looks very special.

Your enthusiasm is contagious

I choose to just take my meds and keep the glass half full.

Let some wrist-slitter point out that one might, with a little effort, produce a pretty darn good Ben Emelogou freshman highlight tape.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Stallion » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:34 pm

he had great true freshman numbers PERIOD. No one on our roster for last few years (including Nic Moore, Kennedy, Ben Moore, Sterling Brown, Semi, Jarrey, Jimmie Whitt AND Courtland Sutton ) has had better except maybe the USF transfer and Jordan Tolbert had about exactly the same numbers
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:16 pm

PoconoPony wrote:A superficial review of his background indicates that out of high school he had a solid but nothing special college offer list. The Atlantic 10 is a reasonable, but nothing special conference and he did make the all rookie team with modest and reasonable stats to include 33% from the 3 point line. Why is he valued so high????

First, being from Canada guys are often overlooked (he was rated 3rd best prospect in Canada), since many coaches don't heavily recruit over there and Mike played most of his career there. The reason he is highly valued is he was obviously a guy who teams missed on out of HS and showed out as a freshman. Second, if you have seen his highlights the guy is long,extremely athletic, and has a nice looking stroke. Tons of potential. Third, in what world is over 11PPG and 5RPG "nothing special" for a freshman... Fourth, 33% as a forward from 3 as a freshman isn't horrible and I expect he will become a much more consistent shooter through his year sitting out. He has a good looking jumper in terms of rhythm and technique.

Stallion nailed it too.

We basically traded McDowell for Isiaha Mike. Mike could be a star for us, but worst case should be a guy who can be a quality starter & is extremely athletic. I don't get how anyone can't be extremely excited about his addition.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:19 pm

I just noticed what an exceptionally lousy season Duquense had last year... pretty much as bad as USF. Mike and McMurray are solid, experienced players whose teams relied heavily on them as freshmen. It will be really interesting to see how they do with real talent around them.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:50 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:I just noticed what an exceptionally lousy season Duquense had last year... pretty much as bad as USF. Mike and McMurray are solid, experienced players whose teams relied heavily on them as freshmen. It will be really interesting to see how they do with real talent around them.

So bad. Should really benefit both of them.

McMurray I think it will help the most. He was the only guy on that team that was an elite scorer and had to do it all as a frosh (handle the ball, score, run the offense, take the tough looks). His shooting percentage will skyrocket, since he won't need to be forcing the issue and contested 3's. The question for him will be how well he adjusts to making the extra pass himself along with how he is defensively.

It would be really awesome if Mike got to practice against Semi all season this year and learn from Semi. We hit the jackpot with our two transfers this year. Two highly sought after proven guys who have high ceilings.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby ponyinNC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:22 pm

PoconoPony wrote:A superficial review of his background indicates that out of high school he had a solid but nothing special college offer list. The Atlantic 10 is a reasonable, but nothing special conference and he did make the all rookie team with modest and reasonable stats to include 33% from the 3 point line. Why is he valued so high????

So your argument is that a kid can't be good because he wasn't heavily recruited in HS? Good luck with that.

Glad you aren't a front office guy. You'd have taken Jonny Flynn over Steph Curry. I mean, Flynn was MR basketball in NY.

Dummy
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball