PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Two from SMU in latest Mock Draft from Draft Express

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Two from SMU in latest Mock Draft from Draft Express

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue May 02, 2017 10:38 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:No doubt that without Semi we'll still have a fairly solid lineup. Whitt and McMurray should thrive.

But without Semi my guess is that we are stuck at about the same level we are now: competitive in conference but lacking the pieces for national success.

Maybe we still get a big via the grad transfer market but options are shrinking daily.

Ray and Chargois may or may not be ready for prime time but asking them to face a USC or Cincy type front line? Nah!

If Semi goes he goes and we'll all wish him success. But unless another move is made for a solid, proven big before next fall (and we have no Semi) the rose colored glasses are coming off. NIT is a reasonable goal. Making the dance would exceed my expectations.

If we lose Semi and only make the NIT, I will be PISSED. I agree until we see the team play a chance at a nice run in the tourney isn't likely a prediction I would make without Semi. But We will return Shake who is a stud and if he keeps getting better and puts it all together will be top 3 player in the conference, at least. Then have Jarrey who was real solid last year and works his butt off can play the small ball 4 if we need. Jarrey also progressed so much last year even if he ONLY takes a small step forward we have a 12PPG and 6.5RPG guy. Then as mentioned above we add a 2nd team all conference guard to the lineup that averaged 15PPG in our conference as a freshman and is older and surrounded by a better team now. Add Jimmy Whitt who is a Top 60 talent and the staff is raving about. Real good slashing guard who is long and can defend. If we lose Semi, still an if, WE WILL ADD a Grad-Transfer big or another Big who would play the 5 and then we would need Ray and Chargois for depth to go along with Gu and Douglas at guard.

Without knowing exactly who the 5-man will be, if that team above (with all that guard talent) can't make the tourney with a serviceable 5 that would be very disappointing. NIT should NEVER be a goal for us anymore.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue May 02, 2017 11:50 am

With or without Semi I think the goal remains to win a game in the NCAA tournament.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue May 02, 2017 1:37 pm

The goal should always remain the same.
Without Semi or a solid big to replace him the reality might very likely be different. I'm still very amped about the future but also trying to be realistic about what the loss of Semi next season might mean.

We have a fantastic amount of talent and some great prospects. You can't win on paper or past performance and what "should be."
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Stallion » Tue May 02, 2017 1:40 pm

The only grad-transfer bigs that are really out there are Mikyle McIntosh from Illinois St-originally from Canada although I can't find any connection to Mike or to SMU so far-I've seen other schools though. Otherwise, a stretch is Cal Center Kameron Rooks who has not put up much of anything in 3 years. Might be a couple of Ivy League Forwards. They are almost all off the boards. Even a guy like Jack Whitman from William & Mary (a 10 point, 5 reb guy) was able to snare a Kansas commitment today-meaning the pickin's are kind of slim out there. If there are late grad-transfers we are going to have to fight a bunch of schools for them as everybody is looking for mature bigs.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby BleedSMUPride » Tue May 02, 2017 1:56 pm

I could see a fall back being Zach Coleman from Umass. Grad Transfer from Dallas who has battled injuries on and off but he says he is healthy and wants to play close to home. He is 6'7 220 lb. I haven't seen anything on where he is looking.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball