PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

WAC predictions??

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

WAC predictions??

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:55 pm

This will be another interesting WAC year...very hard to predict this one but...

1. Nevada
2. Rice
3. SMU (how consistent can this group be?)
4/5 Boise State/Fresno - tossup
6. UTEP
7. Hawaii
8. Tulsa
9. La Tech
10. SJSU

<small>[ 01-05-2004, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: Pony_Fan ]</small>
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: WAC predictions??

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:09 pm

I can't disagree with your prediction. If we finish 3rd there will be no post-season (not even NIT) for us once again.

We have a team that is capable of winning the conference, but after witnessing what we did last night we are also capable of stinking it up big time.

I'm hoping we see a vastly different team Tuesday night. I hate that the whole basketball watching country saw SMU's worst performance in quite some time.

<small>[ 01-04-2004, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Diehard Pony ]</small>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:24 pm

If past and present performance are indication of what we'll get, my guess is they win a game here & there to get us allllll excited & think we're turning the corner (like, say...Nevada) then a couple of days later lose by 20 to someone they should trounce (like, say La Tech)...then, end of the season rolls around, Ponies will win two or three in a row, we'll be hopeful for the conference tournament, then lose the first game by 20 or 30.

Then again I could be wrong.
RGV Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:24 pm

RGV - you couldn't have said it better...too many times we've seen a great game followed by a complete stinker the last several years. (SJSU, etc)

If we played consistent and to our potential night in and night out, maybe we would win the WAC but I don't see that happening - too many weaknesses, TO's, and lack of scoring.

Tourney winner gets dance, no at-large this year.

<small>[ 01-04-2004, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Pony_Fan ]</small>
Pony_Fan

Postby gostangs » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:32 pm

If Rice and Nevada keep winning - it is possible the tourney winner will go and the highest ranked of those two will also go - although that is not probable. We already have too many losses to even think about an invite unless we win the tourney.
gostangs

Postby Casey » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:33 pm

I think you've got Boise a little high. They've started fast, but I can't see them maintaining it. Unfortunately, after yesterday, I wonder if you have us a little high, too. And watch out for UTEP - that's a seriously dangerous team.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby Red Horse » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:58 am

Originally posted by Casey:
I think you've got Boise a little high. They've started fast, but I can't see them maintaining it. Unfortunately, after yesterday, I wonder if you have us a little high, too. And watch out for UTEP - that's a seriously dangerous team.
Casey - I guess you didn't get the news but Boise beat UTEP in El Paso something like 98-96. I'd say that we will have our hands full with either or both of them. Who knows which SMU team will show up.
Red Horse
Recruit

Return to Basketball