PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Disturbing

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Disturbing

Postby OldPony » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:54 am

If you are quoting Dement properly re no support from the admin in his ESPN interview, I would say that his time is limited and he is looking for excuses for when he is fired. Those aren't the comments of a guy who plans to stay.
I must admit though that if SMU plays like we did against OSU again this year, I could care less if he goes or if any of the quitters who play for him go with him. I hope those few who want to play stay.
The zone is not the problem. Lazy people can't play defense in any scheme. We changed the zone when OSU started hitting but with the poor effort, it was hard to tell. Zone has nothing to do with getting beat in transition or not hustling back on D (Hear that Isham?)
OldPony
Heisman

Re: Disturbing

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:46 pm

I should clarify. It was the ESPN host, I think Valvano who usually does all-night, who made the issue about no support from the admin. He made these comments while introducing Dement and actually said something to the effect of he hoped he didn't hear the comments he made while he was on hold.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:32 pm

I think by "no support" Valvano means no financial support, which we already know is true. I don't think we're talking about moral support or adminstrative support -- other than that which Dement doesn't get because SMU can't afford it. Plus, there is still the sense that football is king in Texas. Because Dallas does not pay attention to college basketball, we are not likely to pour money into the basketball program at the expense of the football budget. Even a consistent tourney appearance by SMU would get little attention as compared to football in the area. With Dement coming out of the Carolinas, including a short stint as an assistant at Duke, I'm sure he does feel unsupported -- by administration, by fans, by the media, by alumni.

I had a conversation a about 2 years ago with Jon Jackson while at my law school reunion and we were talking about his old stomping grounds at SMU. He said he talks to Dement now and then about recruiting budgets, marketing, etc. and is amazed by the difference in how Duke spends on its basketball team compared to us. A few years ago the basketball program had kicked off a campaign to establish an endowment that would make it completely self-sustaining without using any university funds or any of the main athletic budget. Don't know if they've reached the goal yet, but it's not an unrealistic goal for them. Of course, the Duke football program probably feels a bit "unsupported" by its administration.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:50 pm

Yes, it unfortunate that people don't like hoops as much as we do - but I wish the Administration would realize it is a much quicker and less painless road to sucess than football. Great publicity and name recognition with success... It only takes 3-4 top quality players and some decent bench players compared to an entire team of def/off line, rb, WR's, QB, etc..

We only get 1 decent recruit every 4 years in bball. I can understand Dement's pain about being unsupported by media and fans when it's been the loyal 1500 in support for the last 5 years.
Pony_Fan

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:16 pm

Jim Valvano was the former N.C. State coach that died of cancer. Not a current ESPN commentator.

DBB
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:00 pm

Jim Valvano's brother works for ESPN.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby DiamondM » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:06 pm

It's Bob Valvano who has a late night radio show on ESPN radio and does some bits on other shows.
DiamondM
Heisman

Return to Basketball