PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Akoy Agau will visit SMU this weekend

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Akoy Agau will visit SMU this weekend

Postby deucetz » Sat May 20, 2017 10:44 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Is Agau active on Twitter?

Yes, he is active. If you google his name and twitter, you will find it.

He started following Ben E, Jarrey, and Shake--he is also following people from the various schools he has visited.
deucetz
All-American

Postby deucetz » Tue May 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Closing in on a decision, Georgetown graduate transfer Akoy Agau sees opportunity and fit at SMU

http://www.scout.com/college/southern-m ... es-fit-smu
deucetz
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue May 23, 2017 5:41 pm

His only tweet today is retweeting this story. Gotta be a good sign.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby flockofseagulls » Wed May 24, 2017 11:28 am

playing time and an MBA... those other schools shouldnt be able to compete on those fronts. feel good about this one. funny that fernando-to-maryland is what could really propel agau to us.
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby deucetz » Wed May 24, 2017 11:38 am

flockofseagulls wrote:playing time and an MBA... those other schools shouldnt be able to compete on those fronts. feel good about this one. funny that fernando-to-maryland is what could really propel agau to us.

University of Illinois—​Urbana-​Champaign MBA is Tied for 40. SMU is 52. Their undergraduate is also ranked higher than SMU as well.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... ngs/page+3

I hope he picks SMU mainly due to playing time. He should be able to beat out two freshmen. Plus we will likely be in the top 3 of our conference again, while Illinois will be rebuilding.
deucetz
All-American

Postby max the wonder dog » Wed May 24, 2017 12:31 pm

deucetz wrote:
flockofseagulls wrote:playing time and an MBA... those other schools shouldnt be able to compete on those fronts. feel good about this one. funny that fernando-to-maryland is what could really propel agau to us.

University of Illinois—​Urbana-​Champaign MBA is Tied for 40. SMU is 52. Their undergraduate is also ranked higher than SMU as well.

I hope he picks SMU mainly due to playing time. He should be able to beat out two freshmen. Plus we will likely be in the top 3 of our conference again, while Illinois will be rebuilding.

As for MBA programs, would you rather be looking for a job in TX with an SMU MBA or a job in IL with an IL MBA? Not to mention that IL has a state income tax and the state has such a bad cash flow problem they sometimes have to wait to pay lottery winners.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Wed May 24, 2017 12:35 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:
deucetz wrote:

As for MBA programs, would you rather be looking for a job in TX with an SMU MBA or a job in IL with an IL MBA? Not to mention that IL has a state income tax and the state has such a bad cash flow problem they sometimes have to wait to pay lottery winners.

I just hope he sees it that way and that he doesn't want to move closer to home.
deucetz
All-American

Postby RI Stang » Wed May 24, 2017 1:02 pm

This one makes me nervous with his Big 10 comments as well. With Coleby seemingly leaning to WKU, where does that leave us if we miss both? The IL State kid still in play?
RI Stang
All-American

Postby mrydel » Wed May 24, 2017 1:17 pm

I am certainly not going to chance winning the lottery in Illinois.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby deucetz » Wed May 24, 2017 1:52 pm

RI Stang wrote:This one makes me nervous with his Big 10 comments as well. With Coleby seemingly leaning to WKU, where does that leave us if we miss both? The IL State kid still in play?

Brad Kelley, must be bankrolling the program.

WKU has no competitive advantages to do this well in the recruiting game. They currently have the number 8 class as per 247. In 2015 they had the 87th and in 2016 161st. http://wku.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits.

-They are in Bowling Green, KY so its not near any big cities with potential recruits
-Their acceptance rate is 93.3 percent, so you don't have a competitive advantage for jobs
-Their coach, Rick Stansbury, did well at Mississippi State but he never got past the second weekend for NCAA Tournament (record there is .640 overall, .545 in conference)
-The facilities aren't even good
-Stansbury's staff aren't recruiting snipers. There are two associate coaches, one has previous experience from Delaware and the other from Tulane. The associate coach with experience from Tulane did go to UNC and was an NBA player but didn't play much. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shammond_Williams
-The team went 15-17 last year.
-They do not have a rich alumni base

The team did have some good success in the Sunbelt before moving to Conference USA. They made the Sweet Sixteen in 2008.
deucetz
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Wed May 24, 2017 9:12 pm

deucetz wrote:
RI Stang wrote:This one makes me nervous with his Big 10 comments as well. With Coleby seemingly leaning to WKU, where does that leave us if we miss both? The IL State kid still in play?

Brad Kelley, must be bankrolling the program.

WKU has no competitive advantages to do this well in the recruiting game. They currently have the number 8 class as per 247. In 2015 they had the 87th and in 2016 161st. http://wku.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits.

-They are in Bowling Green, KY so its not near any big cities with potential recruits
-Their acceptance rate is 93.3 percent, so you don't have a competitive advantage for jobs
-Their coach, Rick Stansbury, did well at Mississippi State but he never got past the second weekend for NCAA Tournament (record there is .640 overall, .545 in conference)
-The facilities aren't even good
-Stansbury's staff aren't recruiting snipers. There are two associate coaches, one has previous experience from Delaware and the other from Tulane. The associate coach with experience from Tulane did go to UNC and was an NBA player but didn't play much. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shammond_Williams
-The team went 15-17 last year.
-They do not have a rich alumni base

The team did have some good success in the Sunbelt before moving to Conference USA. They made the Sweet Sixteen in 2008.

It's all Stansbury. Look at what he did at Miss State and as an assistant at A&M
CalallenStang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed May 24, 2017 10:21 pm

mrydel wrote:I am certainly not going to chance winning the lottery in Illinois.

They still owe me millions
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby gostangs » Wed May 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Our undergraduate BBA is ranked above UI Urbana Champagne by the way - just to set the story straight.
gostangs

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed May 24, 2017 11:48 pm

Not to totally derail this thread but what is our BBA ranked nationally? I have one of those papers and I've never seen undergrad rankings, only MBA.

BTW, someone on the Illinois message board claims Agau will likely go with Maryland FWIW. Where is hoopmanx? Regardless, I hope we find out something tomorrow
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby deucetz » Thu May 25, 2017 2:58 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Not to totally derail this thread but what is our BBA ranked nationally? I have one of those papers and I've never seen undergrad rankings, only MBA.

It's harder to quantify for business undergraduate rankings? https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business

US News makes you pay after the first 10 in order to see them. If it isn't in the paper, then the ranking must only be online for that aka in doesn't matter. This is where the business school marketing departments do back-flips to promote their brand. There are so many business school rankings for this, that a school will just pick the ranking that is favorable and then will promote that to the alumni. Many of the tops undergraduate schools do not have a formal undergraduate business school so you won't see Harvard, Yale or Princeton and you will see more of the Berkley, UT, and Michigans--this is mainly for universities that have individual undergraduate colleges.
deucetz
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball