PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

my thoughts on OSU game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

my thoughts on OSU game

Postby gomustangs » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:31 am

I saw the SMU-OSU game in person and on tape. Yes, the Ponies got outplayed but they did not appear to give up as some are saying. When a very athletic team like OSU gets hot, has a large home-town crowd/band/cheerleaders, is on national tv, and has one of the best coaches in the country, they can be hard to beat, especially once they get a big lead on hot shooting. Quit ragging on the Ponies and give them some encouragement for the start of WAC play.
gomustangs

Re: my thoughts on OSU game

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:47 am

was pretty disappointed by the performance, but not many teams are consistent throughout the season. We just make a big deal of our own team. Case in point, Duke lost to Purdue. Purdue then loses to SMU at home. I'm sure Duke and Purdue fans have done alot of moaning about lack of consistency. Tulsa game is a must win now though, as are all home conference games really.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:41 pm

You must have not watched the same game I did. I saw a team absolutely quit when down by about 20 points. They need to prove that they really want to win after that pathetic performance. I have and will support all SMU teams that show the will to win and the courage to fight. This team did neither last weekend.
I have always said that these are kids and to give them a break but this team played like losers. If Mike Dement can't get a better effort from this team, he should run them off or quit.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:19 pm

OP, funny how you changed your tune about the team and Dement. I was completely embarrassed by this loss on ESPN but felt just as pissed after the ASU game where we quit and gave up the lead in the last 5 minutes with no fight or resilience..

We also got embarrassed last year at Wake on a nat'l Fox game.... 73-49.

Let's stay off nat'l TV ;)
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:31 pm

It is hard to see "quit" on the radio. It also helps to see Simpson's lack of focus with passes zipping through his hands. The other thing was the amazing lack of hustle. I guarantee you that there is not one player on SMU's team with a floor burn. BHop MAY be hurt. He IS lazy though and so is Isham. BHop stood around on offense all day with so few cuts to try to get open that it was incredible. Only if he thought he would get the shot did he ever move- never to position himself to make a good pass. One particular Isham example stands out with Isham loping down the court after everyone else was set and his man hitting a 3. He barely made it to the free throw line depth with his man shooting from the corner. It isn't the defense that we run. It is the lack of effort running anything. Had I been Dement, the walk ons and 30-30-30 players would have played most of this game esp. in the 2nd half.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:18 pm

Old Pony: you will get no argument from me and yes, it was plain for all to see that we stunk the place up against OSU...but this team is much better than you are now labeling them. My guess is that they are all embarrassed by their performance the other night and that we will see a completely different team tomorrow night. If they come out and lay an egg against Tulsa...then rant on and I won't do anything to defend them. But...we haven't seen anything close to their best effort yet...even against Purdue. These guys have been terribly inconsistent, but they are capable of playing with anyone in the WAC. We'll see tomorrow night if they have any heart.
Charleston Pony

Postby OldPony » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:18 am

I hope you are right but I saw nothing to make me think you are. If Tulsa jumps to a quick lead, we'll see if they have any heart.
Bring on the 30-30-30 guys early if they have a no show on hustle again. Maybre that's what Dement was doing in a couple of games when he substituted the whole bench?
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball