PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC Conference Schedule Hoops Pairings

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:05 pm

https://twitter.com/american_mbb/status ... 0800022529

Will only play UConn, Temple, Tulsa and Memphis once. Will be AT UConn and Tulsa. Home against Memphis and Temple. Will play everyone else twice (Cincy, WSU, UCF, USF, UH Tulane, and ECU
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Re: AAC Conference Schedule Hoops Pairings

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Hope that this is the year I get to see us beat uc up here...even if it is at nku.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:20 pm

That stinks, would much rather play Uconn, Temple & Memphis twice than USF, Tulane or ECU. At least we got Wichita and Cincy twice, those are the most important this year from an RPI perspective (presumably).
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:27 pm

"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:31 pm

What the.....we don't get UConn at Moody. That pisses me off.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:45 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:What the.....we don't get UConn at Moody. That pisses me off.

Yeah, that is kinda a huge bummer. I always love pounding UConn at Moody. I am happy, of those 4 teams, we get Temple at home who is likely to be the best of those 4.

Also, glad we play UC, WSU, and UCF who along with us are likely preseason top 4, twice. If you look at WSU and Cincy schedules they only play USF, Tulane and ECU once.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:47 pm

We own UConn and Tulsa at their places so I think this is good.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:54 pm

We got hosed when it comes to building a strong and relevant schedule.
I don't understand us playing ECU, USF, Tulane two times.
skyscraper

Postby Grant Carter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:28 pm

skyscraper wrote:We got hosed when it comes to building a strong and relevant schedule.
I don't understand us playing ECU, USF, Tulane two times.

I agree with this. Looks obvious to me they considered WSU and Cincy the top two and they get the bottom three (ECU, USF, Tulane as you said) just once. If not in top two then if they were attempting to make the schedule harder for top teams (looks like they were) we had to play one of those bottom 3 twice, but I am shocked we had to play all 3 twice.

There are 5 teams* that do not play all of the bottom 3 twice: WSU, Cincy, Temple, UCF, and UConn. I would have thought that would indicate who the conference though the top 5 teams were, so I am shocked to see temple and uconn in that group.

*obviously this excludes the three teams in the bottom 3 since they cannot play themselves twice. The bottom 3 teams each do all play their fellow bottom dwellers twice.
Last edited by Grant Carter on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby deucetz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:31 pm

The conference doesn't respect SMU basketball. The top half should always play each other twice. It should be like premier league rules. The worst of the top half and the best of the bottom half should switch each year.
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Yet another year that the UCONN mens team does not get a W in Moody.

Memphis is going to be trash - so I am glad we will only play them once. And the way UCONN has looked recently (as well as hemorrhaging recruits), they might be an RPI drag as well.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:16 pm

This could be a way to pad the RPI of Temple, UConn and UCF for NCAA. We, WSU and UC should make the Tournament anyway. I'm not sure if I read disrespect.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby deucetz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:41 pm

AusTxPony wrote:This could be a way to pad the RPI of Temple, UConn and UCF for NCAA. We, WSU and UC should make the Tournament anyway. I'm not sure if I read disrespect.

When SMU is underseeded again due to RPI and not enough quality wins, then maybe you will see it. We haven't even made it to the second weekend with the teams we have put together the last few years.

You can't really believe that exchanging UCONN, Temple, and Memphis for USF, ECU, and Tulane is not disrespectful. USF, ECU and Tulane are the epitome of a trap game and an RPI killer. The Tournament Committee hasn't given SMU any respect, and USF, ECU and Tulane will not help our case--even if we win, we lose. Even with Wichita , the AAC will fluctuate between being a 3 to 5 bid league--assuming that Wichita continue to do well in the future.
Last edited by deucetz on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:49 pm

ECU, USF, and Tulane games are just a waste of space
Pony ^

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:05 pm

deucetz wrote:
AusTxPony wrote:This could be a way to pad the RPI of Temple, UConn and UCF for NCAA. We, WSU and UC should make the Tournament anyway. I'm not sure if I read disrespect.

When SMU is underseeded again due to RPI and not enough quality wins, then maybe you will see it. We haven't even made it to the second weekend with the teams we have put together the last few years.

You can't really believe that exchanging UCONN, Temple, and Memphis for USF, ECU, and Tulane is not disrespectful. USF, ECU and Tulane are the epitome of a trap game and an RPI killer. The Tournament Committee hasn't given SMU any respect, and USF, ECU and Tulane will not help our case--even if we win, we lose. Even with Wichita , the AAC will fluctuate between being a 3 to 5 bid league--assuming that Wichita continue to do well in the future.

I agree that it is frustrating that we got the 3 cellar dwellers. I wish we could flip UConn/Temple for USF/Tulane, but those game arent gonna have much to do with "quality wins". They would help in metrics, but probably not much for tournament resume. We should have a much better opportunity next year in OOC and in Conference to get "quality wins". The thing we really needed was to get UC, WSU, UCF twice each. Two are likely top 25 teams and the other a fringe top 50 team. Flipping Tulsa and Memphis for USF and Tulane might have a minor impact on metrics, but at the end of the day the committee could care less if we have an extra win over a crappy Memphis team or a middling Tulsa team or even a RPI 110 win. They want more "quality wins" and we play the other top projected Top 4 teams in our conference besides us twice.

I agree that it would be nice to have UConn or Temple twice instead of the cellar dwellers, but having 4-6 Top 50 RPI conference games compared to 2 last year will be a big help.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball