PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC Conference Schedule Hoops Pairings

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: AAC Conference Schedule Hoops Pairings

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:01 pm

deucetz wrote:
AusTxPony wrote:This could be a way to pad the RPI of Temple, UConn and UCF for NCAA. We, WSU and UC should make the Tournament anyway. I'm not sure if I read disrespect.

When SMU is underseeded again due to RPI and not enough quality wins, then maybe you will see it. We haven't even made it to the second weekend with the teams we have put together the last few years.

You can't really believe that exchanging UCONN, Temple, and Memphis for USF, ECU, and Tulane is not disrespectful. USF, ECU and Tulane are the epitome of a trap game and an RPI killer. The Tournament Committee hasn't given SMU any respect, and USF, ECU and Tulane will not help our case--even if we win, we lose. Even with Wichita , the AAC will fluctuate between being a 3 to 5 bid league--assuming that Wichita continue to do well in the future.

That's kind of what scares me. We better win the tough ones because quality losses and beat downs of the bottom three won't help us much.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:27 pm

The more I look at it the more confused I am. The conference made sure we got the best teams twice (WSU, UC, UCF, Houston) but then sliced out the middle and stuck us with the dregs. They did half their job.
skyscraper

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm just glad that there's a program at SMU I'm proud to support!
One Trick Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:22 pm

Yeah kinda disappointing not to get Connecticut at Moody that is one game that always seems to move the needle a bit no matter how bad they are
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:46 pm

The good news is we have the advantage in the race to win the conference championship again.
mustangxc

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:32 am

Line them up, knock them down.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:41 am

Just win.
ojaipony

Postby flockofseagulls » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:40 pm

wasn't it less than a week ago when people were talking about how stacked our schedule would be because of atlantis and UC & WSU 2x? now we're already back to preemptive complaints about RPI and underseeding?
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:00 pm

I think what worries our fans is that our schedule is very top heavy and bottom heavy with little in between. If we don't win any of our games in Atlantis or against Wichita State we will have little to show the tournament committee.
mustangxc

Postby gostangs » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:31 pm

well if we don't win any atlantis games and we cant beat Wichita at home then we don't deserve any talk.

I do think the conference is trying to hedge their bet in the event they can get more teams in, and they might be tricking it up too much.
gostangs

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:14 pm

gostangs wrote:well if we don't win any atlantis games and we cant beat Wichita at home then we don't deserve any talk.

I do think the conference is trying to hedge their bet in the event they can get more teams in, and they might be tricking it up too much.

Haha very true.

I still think there is plenty of meat in the middle of the schedule between top level and bottom feeders. IN OOC we have Boise and TCU outside of Atlantis (3 games & USC). IN conference we get UH twice, UCF twice, Temple and UConn once each. Plenty of room for good wins (RPI 50-150).

Regardless,, It is all about Top 50 wins and to some extent top 100 wins, but mainly top 50 wins as we saw getting a 6 seed last year at 30-4 with only (2) Top 50 wins, but tons of middle level Top 50-150 wins (17). UConn and Temple should be better this year (I say hopefully), but if we want to get a good seed or make the tourney we are going to do it by winning a couple of nice OOC games and winning some games against WSU, Cincy and likely UCF. Not by trading wins over USF/Tulane with wins over UConn/Tulsa. After that you just cant have multiple terrible losses.

As I said before, I would much rather us have gotten Temple and UConn twice, but at the end of the day it won't have much impact. If we hadn't got WSU or Cincy I would be flipping out.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:54 pm

Really is a shame Uconn isn't coming to Moody. I really enjoyed seeing them run into Moody with the expression of "we are so [deleted]" on each players face before the game even tipped off.
Pony ^

Previous

Return to Basketball