PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mustangs Take Part In Service Project Giving Shoes

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mustangs Take Part In Service Project Giving Shoes

Postby PonyPride » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:30 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Mustangs Take Part In Juneteenth Service Project Giving Shoes To Children
DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU women's basketball team helped deliver 1,500 new tennis shoes to the children of Dallas in conjunction with The Memnosyne Institute's "Walking to Destiny" program Monday in Fair Park.

"There is nothing quite like having the ability to give back to the community on the platform we're given as student-athletes," explained SMU senior Klara Bradshaw. "Watching kids' faces light up as we gave them a new pair of shoes was an experience I won't forget.

"Getting to put on an SMU jersey is a great feeling, but getting to give back while representing the red and blue might be even better," the Emory, Texas, native stated.

SMU senior Kiara Perry exclaimed, "The community service project was an awesome experience." The Duncanville, Texas, native continued, "Being able to share my time with these kids was an amazing experience. I had the opportunity to converse with a girl who played basketball. I was able to share my thoughts and experiences, and talk about what it takes to perform at the next level. Having the opportunity to talk to someone who looks up to people like me was an indescribable feeling. I'm thankful to be able to give back."

The ninth annual "Walking to Destiny" event was started to "celebrate our similarities, while exploring and embracing our differences," according to The Memnosyne Institute. The event takes place each year as part of the Juneteenth celebration, in an effort to have an educational and literary impact by telling the story of emancipation for all people.

"Dallas is a phenomenal city with many wonderful organizations that have a positive impact on the community. We are honored to be a part of that," said SMU head coach Travis Mays. "SMU basketball wants to be a part of the Dallas community. Our goal is to make sure our student-athletes understand the value of giving back."

"Walking to Destiny" serves underprivileged children with a hot meal, activities, art, music and dance, as well as the gift of a new pair of shoes in an effort to elevate the self-esteem of the children. The Memnosyne Institute works in collaboration with several other Dallas-area non-profit organizations, including Stewpot, Inspired Vision Church, Kids U, Dallas Police Explorers, African American Museum, Foundation Communities, Trinity River Mission, Mosaic Family Services and Behind Every Door, to host the event.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball