PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Updated roster

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Updated roster

Postby mavsrage311 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:45 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:I had no idea that Everett Ray is Clifford Ray's son.

I was surprised to find that out when we were recruiting him. I researched his dad a little bit. Very solid player for the Bulls and Warriors. Played ten seasons and averaged 7 points and 9 rebounds a game for his career. Won the NBA championship in 75 with GS.

I love Clifford. He coached in the NBA for a long time until recently. Google Clifford ray thunder lightning rain.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby The Falcon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:11 pm

I noticed that big Leo K our tallest player last year is missing from the new roster.

Did he transfer? I know he wasn't all conference but in his few appearances I thought he
had some ability to help us, especially with his height. I believe he was a freshman.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby edwa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Pretty sure leo transfered, i knew his roommate who mentioned him leaving a few times.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby Grant Carter » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:51 pm

SMU is a pretty expensive place to go without a scholarship.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Grant is right, Leo was a walk-on. Maybe he got a scholarship opportunity at a smaller school.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:03 am

I have high hopes for Ray.

I wish Mike could play this year also.

Looking at Agau's bio, I'm surprised by his numbers (low) at Georgetown. For a top 100 kid out of high school, I'd expect better numbers. But I hope he thrives here. This will be Jank's toughest coaching yet - bringing all these new parts together (Ray/Agau and then Landrum/McMurray minutes along with Chargois and Douglas development).

I feel our 5 starters pre conference play will be:

Shake
Jarrey
BenE
Ray
Agau

Who knows how it will shake out after that. Most likely you play/possibly start McMurray given his experience/scoring ability, etc but who knows. Having Mike in practice will help. Hopefully Chargois develops nicely also. And Landrum develops enough to give Shake a good breather here and there.

I think it will be hard to make the tourney with this team (so much youth and so many new faces). But I think we can and will. Of course this team will have more depth than last year but no one is an equal 1:1 trade with the 3 starters we lost (Semi/Ben/Sterling) all are drop offs. So can the depth offset that? I doubt it, but we will still be good.
ojaipony

Postby mrydel » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:16 am

I think Witt will be starting.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:20 am

mrydel wrote:I think Witt will be starting.

Oh, wow. I completely forgot all about Witt. Do you think then he starts over BenE?
ojaipony

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:43 am

Can we put this to bed.....

Shake
Whittness
Gu
Jarrey
Agau
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:49 am

Whitt will definitely start. My guess is Gu will be the sixth man but you never know. If Jank stays with LB's philosophy, Gu will start. I'm sticking with:

Shake
Whitt
Jarrey
Ray
Again

If Ray stumbles early, which I don't think he will, I can see this starting five:

Shake
Whitt
Gu
Jarrey
Agau
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Updated roster

Postby mrydel » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:55 am

I agree with Hoopmanx, but then I know nothing. I think Gu has earned the start.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Interesting to note that 4 of our scholarship players on the roster were top 100 guys out of HS:

Whitt (66)
Agau (75)
Shake (79)
Mike (#3 in Canada)

That's 40% of our scholarship roster. Imagine if our football team had at least ONE. Ha!

(I don't know about McMurray, I don't think he was. But he's a baller no doubt. With range. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_PYFdItTN4).
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:22 pm

In looking over McMurray's highlights, he looks a lot like Landrum. Small, but athletic and stays in attack mode. A bit of a chip. I like that. Of course, he's proved it on the college level and Landrum hasn't yet. But it's good to have 2 "spark plug" types at PG on the roster. Nice change of pace to all the wing size we have. And I know Jank likes that.
ojaipony

Postby deucetz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:12 pm

ojaipony wrote:I have high hopes for Ray.

I wish Mike could play this year also.

Looking at Agau's bio, I'm surprised by his numbers (low) at Georgetown. For a top 100 kid out of high school, I'd expect better numbers. But I hope he thrives here. This will be Jank's toughest coaching yet - bringing all these new parts together (Ray/Agau and then Landrum/McMurray minutes along with Chargois and Douglas development).

I feel our 5 starters pre conference play will be:

Shake
Jarrey
BenE
Ray
Agau

Who knows how it will shake out after that. Most likely you play/possibly start McMurray given his experience/scoring ability, etc but who knows. Having Mike in practice will help. Hopefully Chargois develops nicely also. And Landrum develops enough to give Shake a good breather here and there.

I think it will be hard to make the tourney with this team (so much youth and so many new faces). But I think we can and will. Of course this team will have more depth than last year but no one is an equal 1:1 trade with the 3 starters we lost (Semi/Ben/Sterling) all are drop offs. So can the depth offset that? I doubt it, but we will still be good.

We will be a top 2 team in the conference and will make the tournament if we don't have any major injuries.

The biggest thing that SMU basketball has received is a winning culture. We may have new players, but we won't be relying too much on freshman for starting minutes. We have talent and depth. We may have a bumpy out of conference but we will be ready come conference play.
deucetz
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Love Ray, but no way he starts over a 5th year Gu. We're position-less, get rid of the 1-5 mentality. Shouldn't be hard to do, considering the success we saw last year, w/basically 6 kids 6'6 and under
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball