PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Updated roster

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Updated roster

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm all in on the position less basketball but some teams we play are going to have too much size for four guys 6'5" and Agau. USC with Boatwright and Metu. Arizona (if get to them) with Ayton and Ristic. In conference play with Cincy.

I know Jarrey excelled at the 4 last season but I think there will be times when a bigger body like Ray will be needed against bigger, more physical teams. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby deucetz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:54 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I'm all in on the position less basketball but some teams we play are going to have too much size for four guys 6'5" and Agau. USC with Boatwright and Metu. Arizona (if get to them) with Ayton and Ristic. In conference play with Cincy.

I know Jarrey excelled at the 4 last season but I think there will be times when a bigger body like Ray will be needed against bigger, more physical teams. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Luckily they may be the 3 best teams we play.
deucetz
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Shake
Whitt
Gu
Jarrey
Agau

No way Ray starts the season as a starter provided the five above are healthy. No way.
What will be interesting is the starting five when conference play starts. It could very well be the same. It could very well be different. I just hope for the same thing I hope for every season....no injuries.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Can we put this to bed.....

Shake
Whittness
Gu
Jarrey
Agau

This. Also, When McMurray comes in, he will go to guard. Pushing Jarrey to the 4 in w 3 guard lineup is a big change in the lineup. The lineup above allows Jarrey to play the 4 all year and you are moving Gu to the bench.
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:25 am

Once again.... I think many here don't realize how important Gu is this year. If he has a breakout year then we are REALLY GOOD. You rely on your experienced seniors for many things, not all of then reflected on the stat sheet. I really hope he has an awesome season. He has been a good ( and much maligned) Mustang.

Get 'em Gu.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:58 am

Just my opinion but I think all of you pushing Gu to the bench are going to be surprised.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:44 am

McMurray pushing a 5th year Gu to bench, after sitting thr first half. Is beyond silly. We are built on D, toughness, boards and culture.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:15 am

I think people are having a hard time shaking how rough his shot was when he first hit the floor for us. And it was really rough.

Last year, however he was very reliable, especially from the three. Clutch even. His D is always top notch and his hustle factor is off the chart.

When I look back at last yrs talent I really cant believe we were one and done in the tourney. Really cant believe it. Id like to say I am over it, but when you go through that team a player at a time it just makes you ill.
gostangs

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:57 am

I will feel better when McMurray comes onboard mid December. Bringing that guy off the bench will be instant offense. Our Vinnie Johnson, for you youngsters he was the sixth man for the Bad Boy Pistons who could score ten points in three minutes. I don't think there is another team in the AAC with a talent like McMurray coming off the bench.

LA_Mustang

Postby JoeKidd » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:20 pm

hoopmanx wrote:McMurray pushing a 5th year Gu to bench, after sitting thr first half. Is beyond silly. We are built on D, toughness, boards and culture.

And with the positionless small-ball line-up your guards have to board on the defensive end, which Gu does well. That was a big part of Sterling's game and he will need to fill that role.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:18 pm

JoeKidd wrote:And with the positionless small-ball line-up your guards have to board on the defensive end, which Gu does well. That was a big part of Sterling's game and he will need to fill that role.

I think this is one of the things the coaches love about Landrum. He is quick and great at getting into passing lanes. He loves to defend and will be a pest on that end of the floor. Also, he is a very good rebounder for a guy sub-6'0". He averaged 9 rebounds a game last year in high school. I know it was against Oklahoma high school competition but that is still impressive. He also averaged 4 steals per game. I have no doubt he will be a fan favorite. Just wait until he attacks the rim and rises up for an unexpected dunk Dennis Smith Jr style. Moody will go nuts.

LA_Mustang

Postby ponywhupp9202 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:48 pm

gostangs wrote:I think people are having a hard time shaking how rough his shot was when he first hit the floor for us. And it was really rough.

Last year, however he was very reliable, especially from the three. Clutch even. His D is always top notch and his hustle factor is off the chart.

When I look back at last yrs talent I really cant believe we were one and done in the tourney. Really cant believe it. Id like to say I am over it, but when you go through that team a player at a time it just makes you ill.

It's unfortunate, because I like Gu as a person and a player, but one of the reasons we were one and done in the tourney is because he pulled an 0 for something offensively (at least it seemed that way). I don't know that for a fact, but I was at the game and remember him putting up at least 4 or 5 good looks that clanged of the rim. Everyone is going to disappear at times, but the timing of that stretch was bad. I want to say he may have been on the floor more than usual that game because of foul trouble to other players.
ponywhupp9202
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:14 pm

But there was no problem with Sterling stepping out or Shake missing a lay up? It is a hard sport.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:58 pm

and lets just forget those Ben Moore Free throws to win the game......UGH.
gostangs

Postby ponywhupp9202 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:06 pm

mrydel wrote:But there was no problem with Sterling stepping out or Shake missing a lay up? It is a hard sport.

Point taken. I didn't mean it like that really. Lots of frustration to go around from that game, especially in the 2nd half, and it was a long drive home from Tulsa.
ponywhupp9202
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball