PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2018-19

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2018-19

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Let me preface this by saying I think we are going to be really good this season, and I believe we have the chance to win a game or two in the NCAA tourney, but after watching the "get to know" video of Mike I really started thinking about the 18-19 season. Let's assume a few things (dangerous, I know) - the current freshmen turn into what we expect, solid players. Agau gets a 6th year and we land Liddell. I think the 18-19 team could be the best we've had.

I'm 80% sure Shake enters the draft after this season, and I kinda hope he does because if he doesn't that probably means we don't have a good season. So that leaves the point to Landrum. The more I watch of Landrum the more I love his game. I think he will be a bulldog and he has a lot of talent. He'll defend and rebound as well as any PG in the AAC.

Mike is the wildcard. I think this guy will be a star. A long, athletic 6'8" guy who can shoot, penetrate and finish similar to Liddell. Can you imagine starting Mike and Liddell at forwards? Both can score in multiple ways, defend the rim and rebound.

So say we roll out a starting five of Landrum, Whitt, Mike, Liddell, and Agau. Then bring Douglas, Ray, Chargois and possibly Jank Jr. off the bench. That has the chance to be a badass squad. And imagine​ if Shake does return, wow!
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: 2018-19

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:20 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Let me preface this by saying I think we are going to be really good this season, and I believe we have the chance to win a game or two in the NCAA tourney, but after watching the "get to know" video of Mike I really started thinking about the 18-19 season. Let's assume a few things (dangerous, I know) - the current freshmen turn into what we expect, solid players. Agau gets a 6th year and we land Liddell. I think the 18-19 team could be the best we've had.

I'm 80% sure Shake enters the draft after this season, and I kinda hope he does because if he doesn't that probably means we don't have a good season. So that leaves the point to Landrum. The more I watch of Landrum the more I love his game. I think he will be a bulldog and he has a lot of talent. He'll defend and rebound as well as any PG in the AAC.

Mike is the wildcard. I think this guy will be a star. A long, athletic 6'8" guy who can shoot, penetrate and finish similar to Liddell. Can you imagine starting Mike and Liddell at forwards? Both can score in multiple ways, defend the rim and rebound.

So say we roll out a starting five of Landrum, Whitt, Mike, Liddell, and Agau. Then bring Douglas, Ray, Chargois and possibly Jank Jr. off the bench. That has the chance to be a badass squad. And imagine​ if Shake does return, wow!

Forgot Jarrey Foster who might be our best player that year. Also left off Jahmal McMurray.

I would guess a lineup of McMurray, Whitt, Foster, Mike and Agau. With Liddell as 6th man (really hope we get him, he would get close to starters mins even if he didn't start) then the 4 frosh from this year off the bench as well.

I agree that team would have a lot of experience playing together and would be super talented. Would be an exciting group. Love Liddell's upside, but he needs more work on his skill game and his frame, but would shine in our system.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:30 pm

LA, this is rewarding on so many different levels, not the least of which is if we go bowling next year, there won't be any ridiculous threads during the season about who will replace Jank.

On the FB board it's not ridiculous, on the BB board it would be.

If we don't screw this up, SMU is going to be a player for a long long time.
SoCal_Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Can't believe I forgot Jarrey, who is one if my favorite players, and McMurray, wow. I agree with PLE's starting five. Although, that would leave our starting five without a true PG.

So Cal, we have built a program with staying power. Liddell or Archie would keep the momentum going in a big way.

LA_Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:58 pm

I agree, this is the season I'm really excited about, and I agree with PLE's starting five of:

Agau
Mike
Foster
McMurray
Whitt

Whitt can definitely play the PG role in that lineup. Mike reminds me of a Semi starter kit, super athletic guy with power forward size that can play on the wing. He averaged 10ppg as a freshman in the A-10 last year, with a year to refine his game, hit the weight room and improve his shot I think he could be an all-conference talent for us.

The four freshman with a year's experience under their belt will give us a legit bench. I would kill to add either Liddell or Kaden Archie--I think we have a decent chance at landing one of them.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:02 pm

I've been excited about 18/19 all along.
I think Mike will be the real deal... one of our best ever.
Even without Liddel or Archie we are solid if Agau gets a second year in the system.
I really have no idea how good our 4 freshman can be but they were chosen to excel in Jank's system.... they'll be solid team guys year two.
Jarrey keeps improving, Whitt and McMurray are solid out front.

Add one badass recruit? Jeez!

Plenty of bigs, plenty of length, good experience, depth at each spot.

Look out!

So.... let's say it all works AND Shake stays.
Highly unlikely I know but that would be a deep, deep run team.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Assuming Shake goes pro, we'd have a second scholarship to use for 2018-19. I'm guessing the staff will use that in the spring on either a late signee or a transfer
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:51 pm

If we could get commits from Liddell and Archie, we'd take them and figure it out later. Plus, UT would probably try to get the NCAA to open an investigation office next door to Moody lol. Regardless, in the 2019 class we will take anywhere from 4-6. The staff is already all over the 2019 guys. BTW, Billy and Patrick over at Scout are doing a great job tracking who we are targeting. IMO, they are covering hoops recruiting better than any pay site has covered any sport at SMU since I've followed SMU.

LA_Mustang

Postby smusportspage » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 am

Bill and Patrick are doing a great job. Their efforts are much appreciated.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:41 am

[quote="smusportspage"]Bill and Patrick are doing a great job. Their efforts are much appreciated.[/quote

THIS

.... and more. They are all over it.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ojaipony » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:36 am

Land Liddell and get Agau one more year, and I completely agree. We will be fine without Shake bc of addition of Landrum and McMurray assuming they fit and IQ is there. If Whitt's shot has become reliable, oh yes.

Get to tourney this year (that would be amazing) and make a sweet 16 run next year.
ojaipony

Postby deucetz » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:27 am

ojaipony wrote:Land Liddell and get Agau one more year, and I completely agree. We will be fine without Shake bc of addition of Landrum and McMurray assuming they fit and IQ is there. If Whitt's shot has become reliable, oh yes.

Get to tourney this year (that would be amazing) and make a sweet 16 run next year.

We will have four ball handlers aka people that can play point: Whitt, Douglas, McMurray, and Landrum. SMU sets doesn't need a ball dominant point like we had in Nic Moore to be successful.
deucetz
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:05 pm

deucetz wrote:
ojaipony wrote:Land Liddell and get Agau one more year, and I completely agree. We will be fine without Shake bc of addition of Landrum and McMurray assuming they fit and IQ is there. If Whitt's shot has become reliable, oh yes.

We will have four ball handlers aka people that can play point: Whitt, Douglas, McMurray, and Landrum. SMU sets doesn't need a ball dominant point like we had in Nic Moore to be successful.

I-Mike won't play point but he has some handles too. Gonna be fun.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 pm

With all the "getting to know" interviews being sent out it struck me how many new faces we will have this season. I hope we have a couple of easy games early on.

LA_Mustang

Postby smupony94 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:52 am

smupony94

Next

Return to Basketball