PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kaden Archie & Kyler Edwards joint OV

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Kaden Archie & Kyler Edwards joint OV

Postby PonySnob » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:41 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:LA, I thought you did a thread entitled 'Question of the Day', well I have one for you.

Would you rather have Archie commit to SMU or SMU defeat TCU today.

Archie - basketball school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Black Horseshoe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 am

Kyler to Texas Tech
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby deucetz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:10 pm

What's up with our recruiting? What are we missing?

We have a winning culture, we have good players, good coach, facilities, good academics, and we are in a decent conference with the ability to play top schools out of conference. What is the missing piece?
deucetz
All-American

Postby Black Horseshoe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Slush fund
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:49 pm

deucetz wrote:What's up with our recruiting? What are we missing?

We have a winning culture, we have good players, good coach, facilities, good academics, and we are in a decent conference with the ability to play top schools out of conference. What is the missing piece?

Big 12 from top to bottom is a much better conference than the AAC. And he may have meshed better with the Tech coaches. SMU is good but still not Kentucky or Duke at this point. We will get some and lose some.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:10 am

Right now the missing piece would appear to be Edwards, pending a ruling from the WDNHHA Committee
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PoconoPony » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Never forget that our academic standards have a way of scaring off kids who may be on the bubble. Not saying I know of Edwards situation, but it is a factor for many kids.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby deucetz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:54 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Never forget that our academic standards have a way of scaring off kids who may be on the bubble. Not saying I know of Edwards situation, but it is a factor for many kids.

There are 61 other schools that say otherwise. It's not academics, I'm just not sure how we don't even get a 3 star. We should be able to get any 3 star we want at this point. I hope it was the staff's choice
deucetz
All-American

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:11 am

PoconoPony wrote:Never forget that our academic standards have a way of scaring off kids who may be on the bubble. Not saying I know of Edwards situation, but it is a factor for many kids.

Duke says hi
Pony ^

Postby MV pony » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:17 am

It comes with being a tiny university. Small does not equal elite. It's appeal is limited. Hopefully, the last student out the door will turn off the lights.
MV pony
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:05 pm

We may have missed out on this particular player, but have we not recruited well?
ponyboy

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm

deucetz wrote:

There are 61 other schools that say otherwise. It's not academics, I'm just not sure how we don't even get a 3 star. We should be able to get any 3 star we want at this point. I hope it was the staff's choice

I coach high school sports. What I stated is far more accurate than you seem to believe. I know a number of kids who simply did not want to take the chance to attend a more academic school when they knew they were not strong students. In addition, they checked out schools for the availability of courses that would keep them in school especially when they were more focused on their sport than academics. SMU does not offer a huge variety of cripple courses and majors and that scares some kids. When in doubt go to a school that is more comfortable based on the approach as to what the person wants really wants to get out of a school.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Black Horseshoe » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Keith and the player with an 8th grade education say hi
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby Mexmustang » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:52 am

Of course TTU, otherwise referred to as the 13th grade, can provide assurances that these courses exist--but I was under the impression they went across all academic disciplines there. These special athletic curriculums do exist at many large universities as opposed to smaller private schools. What is true at TTU is also true at Ohio State and Michigan. But, I wonder about admissions. Are we still waiting until the spring to formally admit athletes, leaving young athletes to swing in the wind? I know that was a problem in the past that we couldn't guarantee even after (football) signing date that the university would admit them. Hopefully that has all changed, but I doubt it. I really have no knowledge of the process basketball goes through, especially with early signing dates.
But, for the athlete to never really mention TTU, and giving an indication that a visit was somewhat up in the air it is natural to figure out why he wouldn't have at least waited to evaluate SMU as well as his other offers for some time after his visit? Had to believe TTU and Lubbock, Texas are his dream school.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:26 am

Mexmustang wrote:Of course TTU, otherwise referred to as the 13th grade, can provide assurances that these courses exist--but I was under the impression they went across all academic disciplines there. These special athletic curriculums do exist at many large universities as opposed to smaller private schools. What is true at TTU is also true at Ohio State and Michigan. But, I wonder about admissions. Are we still waiting until the spring to formally admit athletes, leaving young athletes to swing in the wind? I know that was a problem in the past that we couldn't guarantee even after (football) signing date that the university would admit them. Hopefully that has all changed, but I doubt it. I really have no knowledge of the process basketball goes through, especially with early signing dates.
But, for the athlete to never really mention TTU, and giving an indication that a visit was somewhat up in the air it is natural to figure out why he wouldn't have at least waited to evaluate SMU as well as his other offers for some time after his visit? Had to believe TTU and Lubbock, Texas are his dream school.

Guy is a teenager. Teenagers are impulsive. Sure he had a fun time on this visit, TT checked whatever boxes he had, and he made an impulsive decision. Every school sometimes loses out to another for a recruit. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Only get concerned if we can't consistently attract good level talent, which so far there is no evidence to indicate. The only schools that really choose players instead of trying to convince players in College basketball are KU, Kentucky, and Duke (and they compete with each other).
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball