PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tonight: A Microcosm of Dement's Tenure

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tonight: A Microcosm of Dement's Tenure

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:54 pm

by your definition we've had 29 seasons of coaches who haven't got the job done in FB and BB since the DP. Easy answers by people who who don't understand the factors involved. Fire the Coach!
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:02 pm

Ponymon,
Your argument has no validity. Just over the last five years here are the average minutes from our freshmen:

Hop: 31.2 min/g
Simpson: 24.9 min/g
Castro 16.0 min/g
Isham: 20.9 min/g
Miller: 13.0 min/g for the 6 games he played
Q: 19.5 min/g

How can you say that Dement doesnt play freshmen? If you don’t believe me check Ponyfans.com.
Outside of Hop, Roberts the highest ranked recruit of these guys. Your argument that he wont get playing time is wrong.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:09 pm

Hello? Quality players will always see playing time. Every coach who wants to keep his job is going to play his best guys as much as he can. That's why this year's frosh aren't getting much time. It's obvious there is a pretty significant drop off from our starters to our bench. Given how we've started out in WAC play, I do think Dement would be wise to get the frosh and Rack more minutes to prepare this team for the WAC tourney, which appears at this point to be our only chance of earning a post season berth (I'm assuming we have no hope of winning 20 games which is what it will take IMO for a NIT bid)
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:58 pm

NIT/Postseason? Are you drinking moonshine up there in Va.?
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:12 pm

Pony Fan: 1st a little lesson in geography. Charleston is in S.C although I'm sure you were thinking about Charleston, WEST Virginia...but now to the point. A little lesson in reading comprehension: where in my post do you read any suggestion we might make the NIT? My comment was that even with wins against TTech and Purdue, I think we would have needed 20 wins for NIT consideration. Translated; that would mean going 6-4 non-conference, 12-6 in WAC play and winning 2 games to advance to the finals in WAC Tourney. That would mean a 20-11 season and I think that would have earned NIT consideration. What I said in my post was that it wouldn't happen and the ONLY chance this team has left is to pull a shocking upset and to win the WAC Tourney. I guess the bottom line is that if we can win the Boilermaker Invitational, we are certainly capable of winning the WAC Tourney.

And, no, I'm not drinking moonshine. As I sit here watching Tulsa whip Rice, I'm drinking Killian's Red, but usually I'm a Miller Lite guy. Less filling.

<small>[ 01-17-2004, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Charleston Pony ]</small>
Charleston Pony

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:45 pm

speaking of Tulsa-Rice did you see the announcers all time WAC team: Tim Hardaway and Jeryl Sasser were his guards. Say what you want about Sas, I miss the edge that team had. Things are so flat right now I cant stand it. I'm actually gonna miss my first SMU home game in a while tonight because I have something better to do and I can't honestly tell my wife that going to the SMU hoops game against San Jose right now is a better option.
Hoop Fan

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:47 am

HF,

I missed my first home game tonight as well (no choice). Wouldn't you know it would be a rare home victory. Maybe I'm the problem.

<small>[ 01-17-2004, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Diehard Pony ]</small>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:08 am

Yo DH,

Needless to say, I'm glad the Stangs won. Felt a little guilty tonight for missing the game. It was probably good for me though, I take this crap way too seriously. Still, the first thing I do when I get home is check the score at 2:13 AM. Go Ponies.
Hoop Fan

Previous

Return to Basketball