PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Semi, Sterling and Ben's NBA thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Semi, Sterling and Ben's NBA thread

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:50 pm

in the preseason opener against the Mavs. Got a nice ovation from the Dallas crowd.
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Sterling with the start

Postby TidePony » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:59 pm

Love it!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm

awesome!

Hope some of the team could attend.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:13 pm

He's playing well but just can't make a shot. You can tell Kidd likes the way he plays.

LA_Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 pm

LA_Mustang

Postby mavsrage311 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:47 am

Sterling didn't score tonight. First game jitters. Nice SMU contingent to support him.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby TDMustang » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:20 am

I was in attendance. To be honest I kind of forgot that we were playing the bucks and that meant I'd get to see Sterling, much less that he would be in the starting lineup. I saw Jank too when I was walking through the concourse.

To be 100% honest though, Sterling was awful. Not only did he miss all of his attempts, I think he airballed 3/5 of them...it was embarrassing. I hope it was just first game jitters but I maintain that he wont be a serviceable NBA player. He did get his hands on a couple balls on defense resulting in 1 or 2 turnovers, but he almost fouled out despite playing limited minutes. I think his final stat line was like 0/5 with 0 points and 4 fouls.

Looking forward to see hoe Semi does with the Celtics now.
TDMustang
Junior Varsity

Postby jimhagle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:36 am

TDMustang wrote:I was in attendance. To be honest I kind of forgot that we were playing the bucks and that meant I'd get to see Sterling, much less that he would be in the starting lineup. I saw Jank too when I was walking through the concourse.

To be 100% honest though, Sterling was awful. Not only did he miss all of his attempts, I think he airballed 3/5 of them...it was embarrassing. I hope it was just first game jitters but I maintain that he wont be a serviceable NBA player. He did get his hands on a couple balls on defense resulting in 1 or 2 turnovers, but he almost fouled out despite playing limited minutes. I think his final stat line was like 0/5 with 0 points and 4 fouls.

0-9 actually but he will be fine as a solid bench player.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby mavsrage311 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:59 pm

TDMustang wrote:I was in attendance. To be honest I kind of forgot that we were playing the bucks and that meant I'd get to see Sterling, much less that he would be in the starting lineup. I saw Jank too when I was walking through the concourse.

Sterling wasn't drafted to score 20 points a game, but because he's a good defender that does all the little things, if nothing great. He's going to be fine. There's room in the NBA for guys with his skill set, and I really do think it was first game jitters. I have 4 years of proof at SMU that Sterling can hit an open shot...
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:59 pm

TDMustang wrote: was in attendance. To be honest I kind of forgot that we were playing the bucks and that meant I'd get to see Sterling, much less that he would be in the starting lineup. I saw Jank too when I was walking through the concourse.

I was also at the game. Sterling's shooting was as bad as you'll see from an NBA wing. There is no defending that but if you have ever watched Sterling play you know that was very atypical of him. As for the rest of your obsrvations, I'm not sure you and I were at the same game.

Outside of shooting/scoring, he played well. Did a nice job on the boards, defended well, in fact most of his fouls came from helping teammates who got beat, and he had several nice assists. As for him playing limited minutes, he actually logged more minutes than anyone else on either team. It definitely wasn't the shooting start he wanted but that wasn't a normal Sterling shooting night.

Lastly, as far your opinion that Sterling will not be a serviceable NBA player, I completely disagree, and apparently so do the Bucks. He is the perfect 3 and D bench guy. He has a great opportunity to be long time role player in the Association.

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Can you imagine the soiled panties around here if Sterling went 0/9 against Cincy or UCONN? :lol: :lol:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Blunt Pony » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:57 am

Yeah, he is finished....or we can wait till we see a little bigger body of work...
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby indianmustang » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:03 am

he had 8 pooints and 5 rebounds in 3rd preseason game
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby gostangs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:00 pm

and a pretty awesome dunk - took a guys finger with him.
gostangs

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:16 pm

gostangs wrote:and a pretty awesome dunk

Dilly dilly.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Basketball