PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Steve Lavin or Mike Jarvis for next year?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Steve Lavin or Mike Jarvis for next year?

Postby i10pony » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:35 pm

I say Mike Jarvis. I wish SMU had the cahones to go after guys like this.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Re: Steve Lavin or Mike Jarvis for next year?

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:20 pm

I doubt anyone who has coached in a "big time" program is going to be interested in coaching at SMU and having to recruit "by the rules". If you fire Dement, you will be looking at a lower level Division I coach hoping to move up in the food chain. That's how SMU landed Dement. He did a great job building the UNC-Greensboro program. I can't imagine Copeland not giving him at least through next year to see how this team progresses. He will have 3 returning SR starters, a JR point guard who is already one of the best players in the WAC, a deeper bench and if Roberts can come in and play at this level right away...a bunch of scoring threats. Give this team just ONE guy who can light up an opponent from the perimeter (so they have to key on him) and you will be amazed at how much "better" the rest of the team will suddenly become (not to mention how much better a coach Dement will be). It's still too early to panic.

By the way, what is left on Dement's contract? That's another issue for this already cash strapped athletic program. Is everyone giving to the Mustang Club and giving this year at 110% or more? Or do those of you calling for the coach's head have an extra million bucks to spare?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:47 pm

I'm not a fire the coach guy, never have been whether it be hoops or football. Having said that, SMU hoops is at a crossroads. Things are stale. That doesn't make Dement an idiot or anything else some people throw around, but after 8 or 9 years a change might benefit all involved. It happens. Very few coaches stay at any school for 10,15,20 years. If SMU re-ups Dements contract by the standard 5 years, we are looking at making what would end up having been a 15 year tenure. I'm all for stability, but there has to be some postseason before we name it Dement Court at Moody Coliseum. Something tells me Dement might like a chance to see what he can do someplace else before its too late for him personally. We'll see, but thats how the vibe feels to me right now. Maybe its just the dog days of January in a long college hoops season, and things will turnaround and we can make a run in the league and get hot in March.
Hoop Fan

Postby DiamondM » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:30 am

Why is it that every time someone wants to discuss a coaching change, they mention guys who, although they have a "name," got fired from programs with better tradition, better recruiting, better support, etc. -- i.e., they had more tools to succeed then they would at SMU, but didn't -- or they did for a while then their last few years they couldn't get their teams to play for them? The whole coach recycling thing is ridiculous. Mike Jarvis had serious morale problems with his last team and couldn't get it done, so explain to me why we would want to bring him here? I have less objection to Lavin, I suppose, but why if he couldn't do it at UCLA for goodness sake, would he be able to get it done here?

Dallas is all about name dropping and snuggling up to famous people, so why should I be surprised these names are circulating?
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:37 am

...Dallas is also a town of "wannbes", you are what you drive, you are where you went to school, you are where you live, what you wear, who you know, OR, who you think you know.."..my best friend Lamar Hunt said..."....WHAT would MLK say, what DID he say..something about quality of ones character......hhhmmm....or, Dement runs a clean program, Dement recruits TOP RANKED kids..maybe he just needs some "better assist."?? Jarvis / Lavin / etc., etc....are NOT coming here.
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:35 am

Right and like it or not, kids are having Rick Barnes and Booby Knight knocking on their doors asking them to come to their school. Mike Dement is more senior than they are (in Texas), yet his name identification is small. So, if we replace Dement some day, we need to get a coach that Dallas will give us a chance to compete. Jarvis is the biggest name out there right now and he's coached at private schools his entire career and attended private schools. I guarantee by April, he'll have a new job somewhere (unless he his holding out for the NBA).
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby i10pony » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:39 am

Jarvis won at American and George Washington. I think SMU has more tradition than those schools. AU and GW are the 5th and 6th choices for solid east coast recruits. The east coast McDonald All Americans don't even consider those schools. Jarvis led those schools to multiple NCAA and NIT bids.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby Waz » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:04 am

Jarvis never coached at American. He coached at Boston and is from Boston. He was Patick Ewing's HS Coach.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:08 am

GW would beat SMU most years. Also has fertile recruiting area and doesn't limit schollies beyond NCAA.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:56 pm

highflutin - once again, you describe basically every metropolitan area in the country. Capitalist societies measure by wealth and accumulated things - Dallas is only different in that we have less healthy distractions (beach, mountains). If you are grounded and not insecure you can just lighten up and enjoy it -
gostangs

Postby smu hoops fan » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Can't go with Lavin. He talks a good talk but UCLA is already better in less than one season without him. Same talent without Capono who is having a solid year as a rookie in the NBA. :thumbdown:
smu hoops fan

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:41 pm

I am pretty sure Jarvis did coach at American before he went to GW. Maybe old age is getting to me. Until Jarvis got there, GW's baskeball was dead. They had not won since the mid-60's. The other big name is John Thompson, but he won't leave DC unless someone offers him a dumptruck full of cash.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Waz » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:44 pm

Gary Williams coached at American.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby i10pony » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:29 pm

GW hasn't done didly squat since Jarvis left.Even the greatness that is Tom Penders couldn't equal Jarvis' success. There's a name for ya. Tom Penders! Is he still coaching? I wouldn't mind that guy either.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby Southland » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:45 pm

Originally posted by smu hoops fan:
Can't go with Lavin. He talks a good talk but UCLA is already better in less than one season without him. Same talent without Capono who is having a solid year as a rookie in the NBA. :thumbdown:
Hate to break this to you, but UCLA is terrible - absolutely terrible. The difference, is that 6 Pac 10 programs have crashed this year, and the Bruins started conference by playing the five worst teams, not that UCLA is better. They'll finish in fifth place at years end... Pitt doesn't seem to be struggling too much without Howland either.

That said, Lavin sucks; but he wouldn't take the SMU job, because the job has yet to prove it can launch a coach into the majors.

Dement deserves this season plus one more based on one condition - NCAA or bust. Then we should go a new direction no matter how many wins he compiles.

We need to land a young top recruiting coordinator from a top flight program - someone that isn't quite ready for the six majors, but is experienced in recruiting and well on their way to landing one of those big time jobs...

Worst case scenerio is that we land a guy who is a little better gameday coach than Dement, but not a strong recruiter. If that happens, we take a step backwards.
Southland
Varsity

Return to Basketball