PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

San Jose game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

San Jose game

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:34 am

talk about a MUST win. Our guys need a lopsided win tonight and to regain the confidence they had after beating TTech and Purdue, two programs that are looking pretty strong right now. I see we are 13 pt favorites. Let's hope we can beat that spread and then put a streak together to get back into this WAC race.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: San Jose game

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:19 am

Predicted actual attendance: 800
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:46 am

I think I have finally reached my breakpoint - If people attended on Thursday, they will not want to see the same uninspired crap again.

Apparently Norm H. ripped Dement on the Ticket on Friday - he is the only local media person who even pays attention.

<small>[ 01-17-2004, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Pony_Fan ]</small>
Pony_Fan

Postby PG » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:38 pm

Norm didn't rip Dement at all. He merely said that Dement must be going crazy right now since he has a team capable of beating Tech and Purdue, then loses by 1 to Fresno and Hawaii and 3 to SD and App. St. He said we could very easily be 11-3 right now instead of 7-7.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:54 pm

just what the doctor ordered for this team...a nice comfortable win. Of course, if you bet this one and were giving those 13-1/2 pts, this was a nail biter right to the end! I love seeing Bhop hitting 50% from the floor and dishing out 6 assists against only one turnover. In fact, the whole team is to be congratulated on our best performance in years from that standpoint...15 assists against only 8 turnovers. I like Devon Pearson's contribution tonight with 4 pts, 4 boards and a blocked shot in his 17 minutes.

Granted, this was San Jose St and they only come around twice each season. Time to move on to Rice. We've fared pretty well against the Owls of late, but they will be intense after their loss at Tulsa today. Sure would be a good time to steal a game in Houston and get on a roll. I still say if we can find a way to go 5-4 in the 1st half of WAC play (with 5 road games), we will be in pretty good shape to make a run into the WAC Tourney. Winning 3 or the next 4 would be quite an accomplishment. We could easily lose 3 of our next 4 games.

Where has Justin Isham gone? We need him to pick it up for this year's team to be successful.
Charleston Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:27 pm

Let me say I am thrilled to have a win, but watching this team is painfull. I must not be the only one that thinks so, because there are thousands of empty seats disguised as fans.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:25 am

Hey, guys, A WIN IS A WIN! As hungry and critical as we have been aobut the way the team has played, what more could they have done int he SJSU game than they did. Now Rice will be a good test of our middle of the conference abilities. :)
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:22 am

Simpson, Castro and Isham have never lost to San Jose. Let's hope they can still say that when their careers are over at SMU. Meanwhile, those guys have never beaten Fresno. That needs to change this year when the Dogs come to Moody.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:23 am

don't you mean they have never lost to Rice? I thought we've laid a couple of turds in San Jose on the road. (I checked we've won the last 2 out in San Jose-said turds were 3 and 4 years ago.)

<small>[ 01-18-2004, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:54 am

you're right. Our Junior class hasn't lost to either Rice or San Jose. This would be a great year to continue that streak against the Owls.
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball