PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Akoy

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Akoy

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 pm

To those of you who are smarter than me...what can we expect from Akoy? is he big and strong enough to counter the big men from uc and wsu? I have no doubt that our guards can beat anyone in the league, but I don't know what to expect from the big guy. Thanks.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Akoy

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Terry Webster wrote:To those of you who are smarter than me...what can we expect from Akoy? is he big and strong enough to counter the big men from uc and wsu? I have no doubt that our guards can beat anyone in the league, but I don't know what to expect from the big guy. Thanks.

Tough for anyone to know. When healthy in Big east play he was an effective defender and good rebounder. He has a decent touch and a good frame. Still has some bounce but nothing like his younger days.

So for us, when he is healthy, I expect he can be an effective 8pts 6.5RPG type of guy. I doubt we will have him log heavy mins. Probably like 23-25 per game. The good news is from all reports I've heard and according to LAMustang Chargois and Ray look ahead of schedule and ready to go. They are going to be thrown into the fire game one.

To fully answer I don't think Akoy is better or as good as guys like Gary Clark or Shaq Morris, but he can hold his own with them, especially on D and rebounding. We will lose the battle in the paint, but not drastically. The bigger thing will be if Ray and/or Chargois can give us 25ish mins a game in conference and be solid and play at a pretty high level then we will be real dangerous, because Jarrey can't play 4 all game against a Washington/Clark frontcourt or a big UCF frontcourt.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:51 pm

Didn’t he have surgery?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:08 am

As far as his game, I can’t add much more than PLE posted. I’m just glad we have him for two years.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks for the info. It is going to be fun to watch to see how Akoy and the frosh come along this year. I have no doubt that our guards will chew everyone up.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Black Horseshoe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Jank said he’s out an indeterminate time due to an infection
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Any update on Akoy? Just saw a mention in the rankings thread that he is out. Hopefully this is a minor thing - we will need his size in there!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:25 pm

History of injuries. Currently sitting out. Expect that he will be brought along slowly, so we will see a lot of Ray and Chargois to start the season.
JasonB

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:59 pm

JasonB wrote:History of injuries. Currently sitting out. Expect that he will be brought along slowly, so we will see a lot of Ray and Chargois to start the season.

It’s a really fluid situation. To me it seems like he won’t miss a lot of game action if any, but JasonB nailed it. I wouldn’t imagine him getting big mins until conference and even then I think we will monitor mins all season. We need both Chargois and Ray to be ready to contribute, but one of them will need to be able to give us quality starter mins come Conference
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:52 pm

Summary:

Nobody knows nuthin' and those that do ain't talkin'
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Re: Akoykk

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:16 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:
JasonB wrote:History of injuries. Currently sitting out. Expect that he will be brought along slowly, so we will see a lot of Ray and Chargois to start the season.

It’s a really fluid situation. To me it seems like he won’t miss a lot of game action if any, but JasonB nailed it. I wouldn’t imagine him getting big mins until conference and even then I think we will monitor mins all season. We need both Chargois and Ray to be ready to contribute, but one of them will need to be able to give us quality starter mins come Conference

Looks like we will need significant minutes from both.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyTime » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:08 am

Stallion wrote:Summary:

Nobody knows nuthin' and those that do ain't talkin'

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball