PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ouch

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ouch

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:39 pm

27 pts in 8 minutes?????? I bet we are playing stellar d from the 3.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Ouch

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:16 pm

just plugged in and hear that Rice is 9-13 from 3 pt range and leading 54-27! Wow!! What has happened to this team? This is not the same bunch that beat Purdue and TTech. I'm glad to hear that Reay is in the game. If you're going to get blown out, let's find out whether the guys on the bench have any more heart than our starters. Or, is Rice REALLY that much better than SMU? Not the Rice team I saw get whipped by Tulsa last weekend.
Charleston Pony

Postby Diehard Pony » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:22 pm

Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
just plugged in and hear that Rice is 9-13 from 3 pt range and leading 54-27! Wow!! What has happened to this team? This is not the same bunch that beat Purdue and TTech. I'm glad to hear that Reay is in the game. If you're going to get blown out, let's find out whether the guys on the bench have any more heart than our starters. Or, is Rice REALLY that much better than SMU? Not the Rice team I saw get whipped by Tulsa last weekend.
CP,

I would say that Rice is nowhere near as good as the SMU team that beat Tech and Purdue, and seriously challenged Wake. But they are clearly better than what has become a promising team now in disarray. I had high hopes, and I'm betting I am not alone.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:25 pm

9-13? How predictable. Please no one say we just ran into a hot team.
Hoop Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:26 pm

this effort tonight should really have the home crowd fired up to come out Saturday for La Tech. I'm not sure even the 1,500 will be there. Ouch is right.
Charleston Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:39 pm

I’m truly at a loss to explain what has happened to this team. For the 100 of us who care, I’m afraid its about to get ugly.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:50 pm

I hesitate to make these kind of statements without actually watching to see the effort, but after seeing these guys quit against OSU, I'm assuming they did the same thing tonight, i.e., they quit early. It hurts because they've shown they are capable of competing. Sure hope they decide to play hard again before the season ends. I had really high hopes for these guys in 2004-5, but they need to show some heart and play a full 40 minutes. Hopefully we'll hear in the post game that half the team is fighting the flu! There's got to be some explanation. We are shooting 27% at this point. Double ouch!

If this team has the talent I believe they do and if they have any pride, I would expect them to do to La Tech Saturday what Rice is doing to us tonight. Unfortunately, they will do it in front of only about the most loyal 1000 fans we have left.

<small>[ 01-20-2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Charleston Pony ]</small>
Charleston Pony

Postby OldPony » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:51 pm

Watching this on OwlVision would be great if we had a basketball team. Eric Castro is the only gamer we have. I saw no decent effort from any other starter. Once again, they quit when then got down by 20 even though there was a lot of time to go. Dement was so upset that he played the scrubs for a while. It doesn't matter what defense we run. The players on this team have no heart. Might as well fire Dement. He has lost this group. I doubt that anyone else can do anything with this group either but it is certain that they aren't playing hard or they have no talent. We get as many open 3's as our opponents. The difference is that they have people who can shoot. Hopkins is sloppy and shows no real talent more than anyone else's point guards, Simpson is a wuss, Isham may as well go home. This team is disgusting. I have seen 2 games now. They quit both times. This is too painful.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby ponybutt » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:28 pm

My, gosh!!! I've never heard of such a defeat!! This one really stings!!! 40 points!!! I'm at a loss!!!!
ponybutt
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:50 pm

I think Copeland will realize after this season that a new coach is the only thing that can bring new blood into this basketball program. Dement has had 9 years.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball