PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Secret scrimmage

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Secret scrimmage

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:21 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Why are SMU’s “secret” when other schools around the country have video/info/stats out there for their fans to consume? Must have been a lot of charity events going on.

There are different types of scrimmages as you are noticing. NCAA rules are different depending how they are classified.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:25 pm

“According to NCAA rules passed in 2005, Division I members can trade one or both of their allotted exhibition games against non-D-I opponents for a scrimmage “provided they are conducted in privacy without publicity or official scoring. Individuals other than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball scrimmage against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage.””
smusic 00

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Remember we used to play two exhibition games against semi-pro teams.
smusic 00

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:28 pm

smusic 00 wrote:“According to NCAA rules passed in 2005, Division I members can trade one or both of their allotted exhibition games against non-D-I opponents for a scrimmage “provided they are conducted in privacy without publicity or official scoring. Individuals other than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball scrimmage against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage.””

Double secret probation.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:34 pm

UN-verified from the CSN AAC BOARD:

Heisman

I Root For: Houston
uconn lost another scrimmage today to Carlton

texas southern beat tulane by 16

temples scrimmage, Temple 106, Monmouth 63

smu beat texas 71-68 (texas is supposed to be loaded)
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby deucetz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:52 am

According to Fran Fraschilla on twitter, Jarrey w/ 23, 9 & 4
deucetz
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:11 am

Seriously, LA Mustang?

Half the country is playing exhibitions, signed off on by NCAA, to raise money for hurricane relief. Not one of these exhibitions was a glimmer in any coaches eye, 6 weeks ago. Some think the cause overshadows the the PIA it is to set-up, get in front of, and actually get people to show. Some coaches consider such a change in their schedule a distraction to preparedness.

The secret scrimmages are by rule CLOSED to everyone. The coaches leak the info post scrimmage to certain media or boosters/industry types that matter. You cant press release results or put an official box score out there.

A midnight madness celebration at a school like SMU is beyond dumb. Schools like Maryland have half a gym full for that junk at best. Other than UK, they are all boring and b/c of Title 9, most Midnight Madness' also include the ladies team, which is snoozer level boring. Get the practice in, don't stay up late, practice again in the am, get better, repeat.

Also, lol at whomever said has there ever been a leaked scrimmage report where we lost. Umm, until 2nd year of LB, we got drilled by everyone in those scrimmages. I remember losing 4 of 5 quarters to UTA and Doherty bringing the kids home and immediately into like a 3 hr practice, where he beat the whole program into submission.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:18 am

"This is like a NBA pre-season game but @SMUbasketball just nipped @TexasMBB, 71-68. Underrated Jarrey Foster w/ 23, 9 & 4. Bamba/Osetkowski 34 & 17" - Fran
Pony ^

Postby PonyTime » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:50 am

hoopmanx wrote:Seriously, LA Mustang?

Half the country is playing exhibitions, signed off on by NCAA, to raise money for hurricane relief. Not one of these exhibitions was a glimmer in any coaches eye, 6 weeks ago. Some think the cause overshadows the the PIA it is to set-up, get in front of, and actually get people to show. Some coaches consider such a change in their schedule a distraction to preparedness.

The secret scrimmages are by rule CLOSED to everyone. The coaches leak the info post scrimmage to certain media or boosters/industry types that matter. You cant press release results or put an official box score out there.

A midnight madness celebration at a school like SMU is beyond dumb. Schools like Maryland have half a gym full for that junk at best. Other than UK, they are all boring and b/c of Title 9, most Midnight Madness' also include the ladies team, which is snoozer level boring. Get the practice in, don't stay up late, practice again in the am, get better, repeat.

Also, lol at whomever said has there ever been a leaked scrimmage report where we lost. Umm, until 2nd year of LB, we got drilled by everyone in those scrimmages. I remember losing 4 of 5 quarters to UTA and Doherty bringing the kids home and immediately into like a 3 hr practice, where he beat the whole program into submission.

Agree - let game 1 be the unveiling of the program for the year. Let's get a packed house and fill Moody up for some of those games against no-names. Even though they are technically sold out, there were plenty of empty seats last year for first few games.

No reason to add another event to the SMU sports fan's schedule when we can't even get fans to show up to see a 6-2 football program playing a top 15 team at home on homecoming (I hope I am proved wrong).
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:55 am

Has anyone checked the UT fan board for their posted results?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby deucetz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:04 am

AusTxPony wrote:Has anyone checked the UT fan board for their posted results?

I did, that's how I knew about the Fran tweet. They don't care about basketball so they don't talk about it much.
deucetz
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:08 am

When are we going to get Texas on our regular season schedule?
ponyboy

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:40 am

Went to the uc red vs black game the other night...that is a really good team. Cronin has got himself a legit elite 8 team this year.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby flockofseagulls » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:43 am

i like to think that the teams doing the midnight madness and/or charity games are like rocky balboa's training approach whereas the secret scrimmagers are like clubber lang.
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby Black Horseshoe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:07 pm

ponyboy wrote:When are we going to get Texas on our regular season schedule?

When we agree to play at their place
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball