PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Feron Hunt

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Feron Hunt

Postby malonish » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:04 am

Reminder to scout out your rivals for the meaty details of what happened ;)
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am

deucetz wrote:Is there a chance we take another grad transfer with this class? If Marques Bolden still wants to play and has NBA dreams, he may try and transfer mid year. Since both Hunt and Young are from Desoto, that bode well for us.

Coach K is making Bolden a 4 year player.

https://247sports.com/Player/Marques-Bolden-34793

I think there is a strong chance we take a transfer or grad-transfer in this class. I am sure we will make a run at some top uncommitted and future decommitted prospects first, but if there is no luck I’m sure we would hit transfer market.

I would think we are looking more for a guard with the last scholarship, since we are losing Shake and Gu. We only return McMurray, Whitt, Douglas and Landrum as true guards next season. Foster and Hunt are wings. And will return all 3 big men and add Mike & Young Jr.

I’m sure if Bolden is available at the end of the season we would make a run at him as would TCU.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:58 am

PLE isn't Shake a junior? I'm guessing you are thinking he's going to the draft. If that's the case, are we sure he's gone? I haven't seen anything suggesting he's a first rounder or 2nd. I guess depending on how the season goes (if really well then that make sense) but if it goes bad I could see him staying one more year for a better pick, right?
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby White Helmet » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:04 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:PLE isn't Shake a junior? I'm guessing you are thinking he's going to the draft. If that's the case, are we sure he's gone? I haven't seen anything suggesting he's a first rounder or 2nd. I guess depending on how the season goes (if really well then that make sense) but if it goes bad I could see him staying one more year for a better pick, right?

Have you looked at any mock drafts?

SI has a mock with Shake at 23
https://www.si.com/nba/nba-mock-draft-2018

SB Nation at 27
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/11/14/16636494/nba-mock-draft-2018-luka-doncic-michael-porter-jr-deandre-ayton

Sporting News at 29
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-picks-order-bulls-kings-suns-mavericks-michael-porter-jr-marvin-bagley-iii-luka-doncic/1ppi2awklqc7x160buc8pvp4vr
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:08 pm

After watching where Semi landed vs. the mock drafts - not sure you can trust those things.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:13 pm

Yes he is a junior but he has been getting a lot of publicity in various publications for his draft potential. The only question is does he have a good enough year to leave early. But there's plenty of talk about it and it's something serious enough we need to plan for it
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:38 pm

I would be shocked if he isn't gone after this year
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:38 pm

I always thought Shake has the tools to be a No. 1 Draft pick while Semi was more borderline mostly because of his size is not optimal. Shake just has to put it all together which will come in time-looks like he's getting there
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

In my dream SMU/Mavs world, the Mavs draft Bagley #1 overall and then buy their way into the late 1st/early 2nd round to draft Shake as DSJ's backcourt mate. Of course I'm a homer, but I think Shake would fit really, really well with Dennis Smith Jr's game.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby PonyFan32 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

That shooting stroke is ridiculous... In a good way. His size and skill remind me of Shaun Livingston, though I think he has a better stroke.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby jimhagle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:59 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:That shooting stroke is ridiculous... In a good way. His size and skill remind me of Shaun Livingston, though I think he has a better stroke.

Livingston is quicker and more athletic IMO.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:15 pm

jimhagle wrote:
PonyFan32 wrote:That shooting stroke is ridiculous... In a good way. His size and skill remind me of Shaun Livingston, though I think he has a better stroke.

Livingston is quicker and more athletic IMO.

That's the biggest issue with Shake, he needs to get stronger and quicker. It would help him finish at the rim. Whenever he drives he almost always falls to the ground.
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Unless Shake gets hurt, he won’t be back next season. Mock drafts aside, he is a 6’6 Combo Guard with a sweet stroke and freakishly long wingspan. He is a good ball handler, passer and an improving finisher around the bucket. Good defender. He is an average athlete, but his wingspan easily helps make up for being an average athlete. Unlike Semi he doesn’t have tweener status.

I wouldn’t expect Shake back. Don’t think the staff is. He is going to have a monster season.

I would try to grab a Guard with the “open” schollie we have, unless a Bolden or someone like that is on the market. Then go Guard heavy in the 2019 class (Maxey, Harris, etc.).
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Bigger question will be Foster. I think it's safe to say he is a monster athlete. He showed last year and will show this year he can defend bigger players. He has good post moves and a nice shot. Good passer, good defender, good team mate. Think Jarrey is a lot like Shawn Marion.

If he has a big year he will make draft boards and potentially jump with Shake. He was an absolute steal during recruiting.

Semi's draft stock ws hurt by his age and the fact that he was an undersized 4 tweener where there was no tape proving he could defend NBA wings. We knew he could defend NBA wings because we all saw how athletic he was. The Celtics saw it in their camp which is why he is a big part of their rotation already as a rookie and will likely have a 10 year NBA career.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:09 pm

I can’t see Shake not going this year. But imagine for one second if he stayed. Next year we would be absolutely loaded.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball