PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017-18 season predictions

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017-18 season predictions

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:30 am

PonySnob wrote:Any changes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's the point...

Reforecast: Pray for NIT.

C'mon sunshiners tell me a reason to think otherwise! A win against WSU on the road? Not with the 2018 Mustangs... maybe 2017 Mustangs... maybe.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:42 am

I think others thought I was being pessimistic with my 11-7 in conference play, 21-10 regular season and 22-11 finish projection, but right about now I would be happy with that kind of finish. Was not expecting to lose to Temple at Moody so 9-4 the rest of the way in AAC play would be an accomplishment. As I look at the remaining schedule, I could easily see this team going 9-9 in AAC play as many who follow college basketball closely predicted. We are going to find out just how talented our guys are compared to the rest of the teams in the AAC.
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:11 am

You can call me a sunshiner if you like, I don't have an issue with that. Been around this program for a long time and if you had told me that we would have a 33 game home winning streak back when you could sit anywhere you like in Moody (not that long ago), I would never have been able to dream that big.

The season is not over, but there is adversity for the first time in a few years. Will be fascinating to see how the players and coaches deal with it. I expect a great performance at Wichita next week (will stop short of predicting a win though, they just have way more talent than we do). Definite fork in the road for Chagrois - he was atrocious last night. Hopefully the kick in the pants he needed and I have confidence he'll bounce back. NCAAs are going to be difficult at this point, no question, but I have no interest in just giving up and will be excited to get back into Moody again on the 20th.

I am going to enjoy every minute that Shake has left in this program. The guy is so ridiculously underappreciated around here it blows my mind. He completely carried us while others had terrible nights last night and nearly willed us to a win by himself (moderate help from Gu but that's it). He either scores or sets up the score on nearly every basket we have. No wonder why his NBA stock has gone up over the course of the season thus far, and I think last night was one of the best games, if not the best, that he's had at SMU. He was near tears after the game, completely crushed. Wish we had a few more with that level of passion.

Regardless of how the rest of the season plays out, my suggestion is to enjoy watching Shake before he's gone - we don't have anything close to his level on this roster or coming in (hopefully in 2019 I suppose).
RI Stang
All-American

Postby redpony » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 am

hey rick- how's all that high priced re-seating going?? bet they are beating down the doors today after our 3 loss butt kicking.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 am

RI Stang wrote:You can call me a sunshiner if you like, I don't have an issue with that. Been around this program for a long time and if you had told me that we would have a 33 game home winning streak back when you could sit anywhere you like in Moody (not that long ago), I would never have been able to dream that big.

The season is not over, but there is adversity for the first time in a few years. Will be fascinating to see how the players and coaches deal with it. I expect a great performance at Wichita next week (will stop short of predicting a win though, they just have way more talent than we do). Definite fork in the road for Chagrois - he was atrocious last night. Hopefully the kick in the pants he needed and I have confidence he'll bounce back. NCAAs are going to be difficult at this point, no question, but I have no interest in just giving up and will be excited to get back into Moody again on the 20th.

I am going to enjoy every minute that Shake has left in this program. The guy is so ridiculously underappreciated around here it blows my mind. He completely carried us while others had terrible nights last night and nearly willed us to a win by himself (moderate help from Gu but that's it). He either scores or sets up the score on nearly every basket we have. No wonder why his NBA stock has gone up over the course of the season thus far, and I think last night was one of the best games, if not the best, that he's had at SMU. He was near tears after the game, completely crushed. Wish we had a few more with that level of passion.

Regardless of how the rest of the season plays out, my suggestion is to enjoy watching Shake before he's gone - we don't have anything close to his level on this roster or coming in (hopefully in 2019 I suppose).

At times last night I got down on Chargois thinking "now he's looking like a frosh" but then remembered he's been in bed 4 days with the flu and was not even well enough to travel to Tulane. Don't know if he had the same flu bug that is killing people across the country, but I'm just really hopeful it doesn't/hasn't spread to anyone else on the team because we could be in for a long January if that is the case. Couldn't agree more with your comments about Shake. REALLY going to miss that guy.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 am

RI Stang wrote:You can call me a sunshiner if you like, I don't have an issue with that. Been around this program for a long time and if you had told me that we would have a 33 game home winning streak back when you could sit anywhere you like in Moody (not that long ago), I would never have been able to dream that big.

Shake did carry the team - but unfortunately he was not the best player or perhaps NBA prospect on the floor last night.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 am

PonyTime wrote:Shake did carry the team - but unfortunately he was not the best player or perhaps NBA prospect on the floor last night.

100% disagree with you on this
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Julian Grendel » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:45 pm

One scout told me this morning Quinton Rose impressed him
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Julian Grendel wrote:One scout told me this morning Quinton Rose impressed him

He had a great game so who was not impressed?
Charleston Pony

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:01 pm

He looked good for sure. But I haven't seen anything that has him ahead of Foster, let alone Shake.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Julian Grendel » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

He had a great game so who was not impressed?
Damn, should've thought of that response myself.
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:12 pm

RI Stang wrote:

He looked good for sure. But I haven't seen anything that has him ahead of Foster, let alone Shake.

Rose had a big summer that put him on some Radars. I think with knowledgeable scouts (not mock drafts) Rose is higher than Jarrey, but doubt he is above Shake.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:17 pm

I'm not as big on Jarrey as an NBA player as most (he needs to shoot thousands of shots a day this summer), so I certainly don't disagree with you that Rose could or has passed him. I don't think he's close to Shake though, that was my main point.

I think Shake will be our highest drafted player since Sasser (22nd in 2001) and has a decent shot of going higher.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:28 pm

RI Stang wrote:I'm not as big on Jarrey as an NBA player as most (he needs to shoot thousands of shots a day this summer), so I certainly don't disagree with you that Rose could or has passed him. I don't think he's close to Shake though, that was my main point.

I think Shake will be our highest drafted player since Sasser (22nd in 2001) and has a decent shot of going higher.

I agree. I think Shake will go somewhere between 20-35. Depends on who all goes, how he finishes the season and the combine.

I am with you on Jarrey. He is on the NBA radar and his athleticism excites people, but he is shooting 16% from 3 in conference play right now and 32% on the year. The only reason he is shooting 46.5% from the field is he gets 2-3 alley-oop dunks/bunny layup a game from good passes. He needs to put up thousands of shots a day this summer and develop a go to move or two to get drafted/be able to make the show.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:40 pm

I think Foster's confidence has taken a hit recently as well. Don't believe he made a single jumper last night and that three he took relatively late (can't remember exactly when it was but was with less than eight minutes to go) was the worst looking jumper that I have seen from him - it hit the backboard so hard it reminded me of a 3/4 court heave that you see go up at the end of a half. We desperately need him to get his offensive game going again.
RI Stang
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball