PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Looking forward to adding McMurray and Agau

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Looking forward to adding McMurray and Agau

Postby PonySnob » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Too early to ask which freshman will be the most likely to transfer?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:43 pm

PonySnob wrote:Too early to ask which freshman will be the most likely to transfer?

Just a bit, but ponyfans is always good for random speculation. :lol:
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Do we want someone to transfer to recruit over? Seems we are short handed right now and need all we have.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Does PonySnob ever ask a question that doesn’t involve potential transfers, lack of attendance, losing a recruit or anything else negative?

At this point why would we want or need anyone to transfer?
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:53 pm

No. That is why we love him.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:55 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Does PonySnob ever ask a question that doesn’t involve potential transfers, lack of attendance, losing a recruit or anything else negative?
?

Some one has got to do it.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby skyscraper » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 pm

McMurray is not redshirting.
And PonySnob's bit is entertaining.
skyscraper

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:40 pm

RI Stang may have been in attendance and heard the same thing I heard. Redshirting McMurray IS actually being debated, it isn't speculation.

And, yes, Stallion, the Semi situation is part of that discussion. Although McMurray is not a threat to leave early.

What happens if Shake AND Foster both leave this season? Having McMurray for two would really help at that time.. Jank expects Foster to absolutely explode this season and be on every scout's radar.

Last night, we saw slow ball movement and we didn't make the extra pass. But it was because of an unfamiliar team. It wasn't because someone wanted to dominate the ball. McMurray dominates the ball. He likes to handle, he likes to keep. It will take him a significant amount of time to adapt his game, he has played that way forever. It is a significant adjustment to make, and is one of the reasons why guards typically struggle to step in and play in this offense, while 3/4/5 are an easier transition.

More than that, our record, whether or not we can develop a third scorer on the perimeter, and our defense are going to determine whether or not he is going to redshirt. If Gu scores and provides you defense, are you really going to send a senior to the bench who has put in his time as a 6th man? And are you going to burn half a year of McMurray just to be a 6th man?

The only reason you do that is if you think the team can make a real run and you need the depth. Otherwise, if the defense doesn't come together because of the youth and it is an NIT team, McMurray is absolutely going to redshirt.
JasonB

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:03 am

JasonB wrote:RI Stang may have been in attendance and heard the same thing I heard. Redshirting McMurray IS actually being debated, it isn't speculation.

And, yes, Stallion, the Semi situation is part of that discussion. Although McMurray is not a threat to leave early.

What happens if Shake AND Foster both leave this season? Having McMurray for two would really help at that time.. Jank expects Foster to absolutely explode this season and be on every scout's radar.

Last night, we saw slow ball movement and we didn't make the extra pass. But it was because of an unfamiliar team. It wasn't because someone wanted to dominate the ball. McMurray dominates the ball. He likes to handle, he likes to keep. It will take him a significant amount of time to adapt his game, he has played that way forever. It is a significant adjustment to make, and is one of the reasons why guards typically struggle to step in and play in this offense, while 3/4/5 are an easier transition.

More than that, our record, whether or not we can develop a third scorer on the perimeter, and our defense are going to determine whether or not he is going to redshirt. If Gu scores and provides you defense, are you really going to send a senior to the bench who has put in his time as a 6th man? And are you going to burn half a year of McMurray just to be a 6th man?

The only reason you do that is if you think the team can make a real run and you need the depth. Otherwise, if the defense doesn't come together because of the youth and it is an NIT team, McMurray is absolutely going to redshirt.

Thanks for more explanation on the issue. I didn't know it was still a serious conversation to redshirt him. I still don't think they will, but thanks for sharing, interesting stuff.

I couldn't agree more if this is shaping up as an NIT then no way do I plug McMurray in. I think this should be a tourney team (w/McMurray) one we get going, so I think that will be moot, but I get that argument.

I think even if McMurray is 6th man he will still play starters mins (20ish mins a game). Shake can't play 40 every night and I doubt the frosh guards are ready for big mins against the best teams in our conference. I am sure there would be some sort of a learning curve for McMurray, but his shooting and skill would still be a huge boost to this O. Have heard as much.

Now would I love to have McMurray for a full 2, in a perfect situation yes, but we have a good enough team and he is a good enough player that we need him this year. McMurray seemed convinced he was playing when I talked to him at a football game and he said he can't wait until December when he can get out there. So I thought it had been decided since the rumblings.

I REALLY hope we don't lose Jarrey after this season. We could really use him next year and he isn't going to explode into the first round of the draft unless he goes for 17-8 nightly and really improves his O game skill more than it is. It would be cool to have 2 guys drafted again, but Jarrey could have a MONSTER senior season. But I had heard him having a huge year and going pro is a worry, but he really would have to have a huge year to do more than just get on their radar.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:44 am

JasonB wrote:RI Stang may have been in attendance and heard the same thing I heard. Redshirting McMurray IS actually being debated, it isn't speculation.

This is why we need to make revenue sport athletes employees. I can’t believe the staff is having a debate about it. It should be up to the student. I understand redshirting in football for your first year, but basketball as a junior is unaccceptable. Once he graduates, he could just graduate transfer to a better school or go play professionally sooner in order to make money.
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 am

deucetz wrote:

This is why we need to make revenue sport athletes employees. I can’t believe the staff is having a debate about it. It should be up to the student. I understand redshirting in football for your first year, but basketball as a junior is unaccceptable. Once he graduates, he could just graduate transfer to a better school or go play professionally sooner in order to make money.

HOT TAKE! lol

They aren’t going to “make” him redshirt. If he 100% wants to play he will play. It is up to him. I think RI and them are saying if we aren’t good enough or we don’t think he will get big minutes they will discuss with him the option of redshirting so he gets the best use of his eligibility. They aren’t going to tell him to redshirt. Also, he definitely isn’t going to graduate in the next year or so. He has only been in college a little over 2 years part of which at a Community College.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:13 am

JasonB wrote:More than that, our record, whether or not we can develop a third scorer on the perimeter.

Who is the second perimeter scorer? Foster is a very good all around player but at this point I would not call him a pure shooting perimeter scorer. Not talking about expectations or potential because that may or may not come to pass. What we have now is one pure shooter and that is Shake.

As far as you hearing about McMurraay redshirting you are coming across as if you heard it from Coach Jank. Who did you hear it from? Others fans just talking? Now I said over the summer that if the team is playing well without him by the time he is eligible I could see them possibly discussing a redshirt. But as of now we don’t know how they will be playing.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Not from other fans.

Foster is a very good spot shooter from three. 44% last year. Last year his touches came from the corner more, and he seems to be handling up high more this season, where Semi got it. That seems to be where our stretch 4 floats, while the 3 slides to the corner. Will be interesting to see if he is as accurate from up top, but I would say he has shown a pretty consistent shot from the outside.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:45 pm

JasonB wrote:Not from other fans.

Foster is a very good spot shooter from three. 44% last year. Last year his touches came from the corner more, and he seems to be handling up high more this season, where Semi got it. That seems to be where our stretch 4 floats, while the 3 slides to the corner. Will be interesting to see if he is as accurate from up top, but I would say he has shown a pretty consistent shot from the outside.

Except for when he gets to stand alone at the FT line
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Jarrey did great last year as a 4th option/corner 3 shooter with low volume. No knock on that he did great at it. Now he will be more featured and have to take tougher shots and more shots so will be interesting how his jumper translates. He is great around the bucket.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball