PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Looking forward to adding McMurray and Agau

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Looking forward to adding McMurray and Agau

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:51 am

From what I saw we need another sniper from the outside to help Shake and McMurray can give SMU that. When Agau returns that will allow SMU to play more with 2 post players in the game at the same time which we may need when we play USC, Arizona and/or Nova.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Looking forward to adding McMurray and Agau

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 am

Rebel10 wrote:From what I saw we need another sniper from the outside to help Shake and McMurray can give SMU that. When Agau returns that will allow SMU to play more with 2 post players in the game at the same time which we may need when we play USC, Arizona and/or Nova.

Had the exact same thoughts. Especially the McMurray one.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:17 am

I don't think we will play much two in the post. But I agree we need the other two. And another scorer and outside presence.

As we all saw yesterday, there are a lot of new pieces and the offense isn't quite flowing yet. Not a lot of ball movement or sharing the ball. Not a lot of confidence in outside shots.

McMurray does not fit cleanly into our offense yet. There is a real chance that we will redshirt him. Or that when he does play, the offense takes a step back and has to adjust again. As skilled a player as he is, and as much as we do need another outside option, we should check the expectations.
JasonB

Postby ponyscott » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:35 am

JasonB wrote:I don't think we will play much two in the post. But I agree we need the other two. And another scorer and outside presence.

As we all saw yesterday, there are a lot of new pieces and the offense isn't quite flowing yet. Not a lot of ball movement or sharing the ball. Not a lot of confidence in outside shots.

McMurray does not fit cleanly into our offense yet. There is a real chance that we will redshirt him. Or that when he does play, the offense takes a step back and has to adjust again. As skilled a player as he is, and as much as we do need another outside option, we should check the expectations.

Redshirt McMurray?...wth?...he is a JR. and is ready to play and is instant offense, but is also a good team mate. ....and I watched him play in practice recently...he will be a very welcome addition when he is inserted in December. Where ever did you get the 'real chance' that he will be redshirted...???
ponyscott

Postby RI Stang » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:40 am

Just like Semi he gets an extra full year if he sits all of this year (so 2 total) vs 1.5 if he comes back in December. There is definite debate within program on what is best.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby ponyscott » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:49 am

RI Stang wrote:Just like Semi he gets an extra full year if he sits all of this year (so 2 total) vs 1.5 if he comes back in December. There is definite debate within program on what is best.

Ain't gonna happen....he brings another dimension...Semi---totally different situation as SMU was on probation and could not play in the NCAA Tourney.
ponyscott

Postby Stallion » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:34 pm

I seriously doubt he redshirts and Jank is going to shorten his bench when they get back into the lineup to mostly the 6 who played in 2nd half plus Akoy and MacMurray. Chargois maybe too good to leave on the bench even when Akoy comes back. But we'll see if he can maintain that level. If last nite was representative then we'll be developing Chargois on the Court not the bench. He was much farther along physically than I anticipated after his doughboy videos from early last year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:46 pm

I think Jank will welcome having more veteran minutes to give but also believe he will use the frosh to keep the veterans rested and expect he will play 8-9 guys every game...just a few minutes for some of the young backups and only one or maybe two of them on the floor at the same time
Charleston Pony

Postby gostangs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:10 pm

JasonB wrote:I don't think we will play much two in the post. But I agree we need the other two. And another scorer and outside presence.

There is a zero percent chance we redshirt mcmurray. You can't have enough pure shooters on a team with our schedule, and we also need better depth.
gostangs

Postby mustangxc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Redshirting McMurray while we still have the scholarship sanctions going on would be one of the more foolish decisions we could make. I don't see it happening.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:20 pm

McMurray would fit very well in this offense from what I see. Shake needs another pure shooter on the court with him. SMU played Ray and Chargois together on the floor at the same time some in the second half. We need that option when we play teams the have a couple of tall post players playing at the same time like USC has and Agau will give SMU the flexibility to do that when needed.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby RI Stang » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:38 pm

gostangs wrote:

There is a zero percent chance we redshirt mcmurray. You can't have enough pure shooters on a team with our schedule, and we also need better depth.

I hope they don't redshirt him but you are very much incorrect in saying that there is a zero percent chance. Your opinion may be that they shouldn't, but there is a definite chance that they will. Not a guess or an opinion.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:51 pm

We actually forfeited a half year of one of our greatest talents ever by redshirting Semi. It just doesn't make much sense to redshirt top quality Basketball players (unless injured) because they go to the NBA, Europe or whatever
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:21 pm

No way in hell McMurray sits out the entire season, and there shouldn’t be an adjustment when he becomes eligible. He’s a sniper. Shake is the only scorer in the starting five right now and McMurray will fit right in whether he starts or comes off the bench.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:56 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:No way in hell McMurray sits out the entire season, and there shouldn’t be an adjustment when he becomes eligible. He’s a sniper. Shake is the only scorer in the starting five right now and McMurray will fit right in whether he starts or comes off the bench.

McMurray isn't going to redshirt unless he wants to and he wants to play and we could use him. Only reason Semi sat was we were under sanctions. Semi would have played in December had we been eligible.

McMurray not being ready to plug in is silly. How does he not fit "cleanly" into our offense yet? We have 3 returning players and completely new team. We don't have an offensive identity yet. The guy is a natural scorer, which we need. May there be some questions defensively? maybe, but he should step in easily as our 2nd or 3rd scorer his first game. Everything i've seen and heard he looks great. He probably won't start, unless Whitt or Gu is really struggling, but will play starters mins or close to.

If we should lower expectations for someone it should be Agau. He is going to have to be eased in and likely rusty from not being able to practice much.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball