PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dement's solution to turning things around...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dement's solution to turning things around...

Postby youngalumpony » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:00 am

From the DMN: "We need to recruit some tough players and get some guys who will fight"
youngalumpony
Junior Varsity

Re: Dement's solution to turning things around...

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:47 am

He sounded completely deflated in his post game interview last night...I'm sure moreso than the rest of us who have so little invested in this team compared to Dement. When Dement arrived at SMU, he was a relatively young, fiery coach who got the most out of the majority of his roster. It is now becoming clear he can't get these guys to play anywhere near their potential.

Unless these guys pull the same kind of turnaround for Dement that Clemson's football team did for Tommy Bowden (Clemson was ready to run Bowden out of town after a 45 pt loss to Wake Forest, only to watch his team then beat Fla St, rout rival S.C. and go on to win a bowl game against Tenn),a coaching change may be the only chance SMU has of salvaging anything out of what I still believe is a fairly talented bunch of players.

Right now, and really for the entire month of January, these guys are playing like a bunch that WANTS their coach to be fired.

<small>[ 01-21-2004, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Charleston Pony ]</small>
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:45 am

AS some pro coaches are quick to admit, when a coach is hired it's only a matter of time until they are fired. Few of them voluntarily step down even when they know that something is wrong. One bad loss does not make a season, so the AD will not fire Dement now. Dement will try to redeem himself and save his job. The Tech and Purdue wins were good enough credits at one point that it looked like he might have turned the corner in his SMU career. The bottom line though is Dement must go. I am sorry for him. It is nothing personal, but business is business. :cool:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:54 am

Motivating and inspiring a bunch of spoiled, pampered, distracted,and immmature "babies" is a challenge for ANYONE..I would NOT want to be a college coach.....Dement will be fired at seasons end..land an assist. job at a high profile U., re-emerge at some mid level program, and we wil see him on ESPN during the NCAA's in about 5-7 years and we will still be figuring out why we haven't even been to the NIT in 15 years.....
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Return to Basketball