PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: SMU vs. ULM Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL: SMU vs. ULM Game Thread

Postby max the wonder dog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Anyone have extra ticket for Wednesday? PM me
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:11 pm

gave up a lot of offensive boards and had too many turnovers but hard to complain about an easy win. Like the fact that Whitt is doing a good job distributing and protecting the ball. I think he's a little better than 2:1 assist:turnovers in 1st 2 games. Needs to keep that ratio or better to run this team this year. Shake ready to have a monster year and starts 16-17 FTs in 1st 2 games
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Still lots of early season/freshman sloppiness to correct. This team will be a lot better come the end of the year from today.

Chagois, could developer into a really good player once he gets in better shape and if he can improve his quickness.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:18 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:Anyone have extra ticket for Wednesday? PM me

I have one extra and you get first dibs. But I need to know pretty quick.
ponyboy

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:06 pm

We actually put together a pretty darn good 2nd half where we finally moved the ball around to find our snipers. Its all ball movement-it needs to improve considerably but I was pretty pleased for a pretty big stretch of the 2nd half. Started with the 3 entry passes to Chargois to start the 2nd half. Encouraging
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:12 pm

The best thing about the game was our second half rebounding performance. Gu set a tone first shot (I think) of the second half, flying in and getting a rebound. First half, we weren't attacking the defensive glass, and ULM got a lot of loose ball rebounds. Second half we were much more aggressive going after the ball. Took away second chances, and ULM didn't have a chance.

Interested to see Chargois down low against a good big man. I get the feeling he is going to be a foul machine in those situations and struggle because he is young and hasn't been in the strength program yet. Great to see his stroke from outside.

This is a really nice frosh class. 20 is going to be a really nice energy spark off the bench all season. Just think how aggressive he will play when Gu isn't in foul trouble...
JasonB

Postby Junior » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:23 pm

csrlr wrote:Slightly impressed with Chargois; I had no idea. Pretty impressed with rest of freshman as well

Pretty impressed>slightly impressed IMO. I think Chargois has clearly outplayed his other freshman teammates? Do you really not agree?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:05 am

Whitt has played pretty solid through 2 games, but if he can play in attack mode like he does for spurts for most of the game his driving & finishing/driving & kicking could add a huge dimension to our team. He has played well for having to handle PG duties and having not played actual games in a year.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Ponyneighbor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 am

Liked the way Whitt handled the ball and think he will be a handful for other teams on the fast break ... but good God - what is up with those shooting mechanics? First time I've seen him play, and that is some hideous form
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Ponyneighbor wrote:Liked the way Whitt handled the ball and think he will be a handful for other teams on the fast break ... but good God - what is up with those shooting mechanics? First time I've seen him play, and that is some hideous form

Yea I'm a bit surprised that after being hear for a year the shot doctor hasn't fixed that. It's not like it was an unknown problem. That said Whit's job is to distribute and penetrate the lane to dish or finish. His shot won't be a problem until defenders start giving him extra space to take away dribble penetration. At that point he will lose a lot of effectiveness.

On another topic I wish re ran way more pick and roll with Shake and Ethan. If you have a big man that can shoot from the outside that can be deadly.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
Ponyneighbor wrote:Liked the way Whitt handled the ball and think he will be a handful for other teams on the fast break ... but good God - what is up with those shooting mechanics? First time I've seen him play, and that is some hideous form

Yea I'm a bit surprised that after being hear for a year the shot doctor hasn't fixed that. It's not like it was an unknown problem. That said Whit's job is to distribute and penetrate the lane to dish or finish. His shot won't be a problem until defenders start giving him extra space to take away dribble penetration. At that point he will lose a lot of effectiveness.

On another topic I wish re ran way more pick and roll with Shake and Ethan. If you have a big man that can shoot from the outside that can be deadly.

Who knows. Maybe it has been fixed and looked even scarier before!
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Previous

Return to Basketball