PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Reseating in 2018

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Reseating in 2018

Postby mustang1992 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 am

Looking at the crowd last night, the number of empty spots in the red seats (as well as all over the gym) continues to make me scratch my head.

I have tried for years to upgrade my seats (currently in 211) and have not been given the chance, I was told two years ago that I could add seats but I would be moved to a much worse location - yes I know there are no bad seats in Moody.

Is there any conscious effort to track who actually goes to the games and use their tickets? And base upgrades/relocations on this data, instead of the bottom line how much money I donate to the Mustang Club?

On any given night about 1/3 to 1/2 of those red seats are empty, even on "big" games.
mustang1992
All-American

Re: Reseating in 2018

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 am

Yes there's an effort.

Yes people are reached out to.

Among other things, some folks that have suites also have seats downstairs.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 am

It's going to be interesting to see how they do the "reseating" plan for next year.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby okcponyfan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 am

One of the problems with empty seats down low is that for many people down there that have so much money its not really worth their time to try and sell or give away the tickets to the game they can't attend. But you can't just kick out major donor's b/c they don't attend every game.
The university has to try and find a away to make it as easy as possible to sell or give away tickets for the big donors. This isn't just a SMU problem either.

Just brainstorming but they know what tickets weren't used over the weekend, maybe someone from the ticket office should make a phone call to those ticket holders.

Maybe SMU could develop a system where they text message the season ticket holder a day before the game asking them if they plan to use the tickets. The ticket holder could respond with a "yes" or "no". (if there is no response SMU wouldn't do anything). But for all the "no's", SMU could resell them for the ticket holder. This system might make it easy enough for people to use.

Just thinking out loud.
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 am

SMU actually created and implemented exactly that. It was the "experience app" which did all of those things plus (be in the tunnel etc etc). Red seats, blue seats etc.. Thing is, it was sparsely (think attendance at football vs Tulsa as a percentage of capacity, then half it a few times) used.

After two years, it was scrapped.
RGV Pony

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:26 am

It is frustrating, but real tough to get some of the major donors into the red seats every week.

A reseating isn’t likely to help that very much. I have no problem with a reseat as long as I get the option to keep my seats again even if the price goes up.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:17 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:It is frustrating, but real tough to get some of the major donors into the red seats every week.

A reseating isn’t likely to help that very much. I have no problem with a reseat as long as I get the option to keep my seats again even if the price goes up.

There really is no way to solve this problem other than selling less season tickets and letting more of these seats be sold on the open market. That will never happen so this is our lot in life. That said pretty much every team doesn't turn out full stadiums during the doldrum buy game period. The bigger thing to watch is how do you do during your conference. Generally we do pretty well and we do great for the marquee games.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU91 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:15 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:It is frustrating, but real tough to get some of the major donors into the red seats every week.

The reseating in complete starter over of the seating chart. You will pick your seats basedon your Mustang Club Priority Points. So if no one in front of you has picked yours seats and they are available and you can full fill the donation requirement for those seats they are yours again.
This is a true reseating not just an increase in donation levels. The final plan should be announced in the next 2 weeks. I believe they will have good website and explanation should make it very clear. They have spent a to of time researching comparable schools and their reseating systems. Saying that as always some people will not be happy.
SMU91
Junior Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:33 pm

I'd say that's the way it should be.
Let the points count for something then if you can Pony up do so
One Trick Pony

Postby ponydawg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Yes, but if you get more points for donations than for showing up to the games then the problem we are complaing about won't change...but when has the school ever messed this up before, should be fine.

edit: potty word
Last edited by ponydawg on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Actual attendance at games counts little towards mustang club points relative to a donation.

So, if they go strictly off Mustang Club points to drive the reseating then you might be exacerbating the problem of high $$ donors - who attend only the "big" games pushing $ donors - who attend all the games out of seats and reducing overall actual attendance.

SMU needs to be very careful not to end up with more revenue but an arena with big seating holes..... will certainly take some of the shine off "Moody Magic".

If the reseating doesn't give "reasonable" consideration to actual attendance and longevity in the Mustang Club then I'll likely drop both football and basketball. If it is about money over loyalty from fans who have endured so much over the years then I'll receive the message that loyalty means nothing and stop being loyal and move along.

I have no problem with SMU increasing donation levels and ticket prices gradually. But to get tossed to another area or a big increase (ie +25%) then I'll move along.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:02 pm

ponydawg wrote:Yes, but if you get more points for donations than for showing up to the games then the problem we are complaing about won't change...but when has the school ever messed this up before, should be fine.

I don't know what that ratio is .
I just can't imagine a high roller wanting to sit in my section 202. That's where they send poor people that can't afford floor seats. I know one seat that will never go up lol
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:40 pm

As mentioned early, many red seats also have suite access so they may be attending but not in the red seats.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:44 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
ponydawg wrote:Yes, but if you get more points for donations than for showing up to the games then the problem we are complaing about won't change...but when has the school ever messed this up before, should be fine.

I don't know what that ratio is .
I just can't imagine a high roller wanting to sit in my section 202. That's where they send poor people that can't afford floor seats. I know one seat that will never go up lol
That's actually one of the reasons for the re-seat. There are some five/six figure donors sitting in blue seats because that's what was available
RGV Pony

Postby smitty329 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:47 pm

The ushers need to be less attentive at the under 12 minute TV time out during the first half - let folks fill gaps - if the owners eventually show (@ 1/2 hour after tipoff) - then the seat fillers move.
smitty329
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball