PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Minutes the next two games

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Minutes the next two games

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm

If you were Coach Jank, how would you distribute minutes the next 2 games to best prepare us for the holiday tourney? Assuming Akoy is not ready to play in either game.

I would give at least 20 to Chargois, about 20 to Ray, and 10 minutes each to Landrum and Douglas.

Want to get the freshman a lot of playing time the next two outings against lower competition, but I also think the tourney is very important for resume building, so want to also prioritize getting Whitt back up to speed and allow him and the other returning guards time to find a rhythm together.

I think we will need Chargois and Ray out of necessity in the tourney, so might as well get them some more run against the lower competition.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Re: Minutes the next two games

Postby edwa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:47 pm

First game, 25 ethan, 20 ray, 20 douglas, 10 landrum.
2nd game 25 ethan, 20 ray, 15 douglas, 10 landrum
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby Junior » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:59 pm

I'd let Shake sit more than 2 minutes.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Right now I'd be cutting back on Ray minutes and give them to Chargois. More like 28 Chargois minutes. 17 Ray minutes. I hope they don't cut down too much for Douglas because I think once he calms down he'll be fine. You know I'm not really feeling Landrum yet like some of you do. He's not bad but I'm not comfortable yet with him in a contested game. We'll see.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:27 pm

Junior wrote:I'd let Shake sit more than 2 minutes.

This. We need him in December and beyond.
SmooBoy

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:34 pm

No way I’d cut Ray’s minutes. IMO getting him right in these next couple of games is extremely important for Atlantis, USC and TCU. I’m not sure if it is freshman jitters or just overthinking things but Ray can be an elite rebounder and defender. I have no doubt he is going to be a VERY good player for us.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Gu has gotten the least time. Leave him out there with the 4 frosh once we are up 20. Get his aggression up and confidence back while getting a lot of court time for the kids.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:10 pm

that's because he got in foul trouble in both games. He's playing fine
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 am

Ray and Douglas need more minutes, not less. We are going to need a serious contribution from Ray come conference. He needs all the time we can afford him. Douglas may not be as important over the course of this season but minutes will be harder to come by when Agau and McMurray are playing so he should get time now as well. Landrum seems to be the guy they insert when the “first second foul” happens.

Wilfong needs more minutes too. He needs to outscore big bro over the course of his career.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ojaipony » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:08 am

Nothing helps you get into better shape than just playing games so I'm all for giving big minutes to Chargois. And Douglas. Whitt also needs minutes. I'd cut Shake back quite a bit. I say BenE, Chargois, and Douglas should get most minutes. Then Ray (he's fine, in great conditioning, just needs time). Jarrey about the same as Shake (I'd have them be at about 20-25 minutes each).
ojaipony

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 am

I watched some of Wichita State last night and we better get every newbie as many minutes as we can if we want to compete. They looked good.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:57 am

We need to get shake more rest. I know from last year he is used to playing a high number of minutes but play 38+ a night is not sustainable given we are going to ask him to make more 2nd half shots.

Ray reminds me body typewise of Shawn Williams of teams past. We'd be lucky if he becomes that solid during his career.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Blunt Pony » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:26 am

Whitt needs all the minutes that he can handle. We need him to be on top of his game if we are going to do any damage. He did not look totally comfortable out there to me. He just needs to play through it since he had the year off. Fine to get some of the new guys some minutes but the core 6-7 need to play to get their legs under them for Atlantis. Worry about getting other guys minutes after we get home from the Bahamas. These are kids, none of them NEEDS the rest at this point. They need game experience together.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Return to Basketball