PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Once in the Top 25

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Once in the Top 25

Postby PonyTime » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:04 pm

ojaipony wrote:We're not top 50? Of course we are. Will we ever get ranked in the top 25 this year? Maybe not, our SoS will be much higher than last year. I think we lose to USC also but . . . . Moody.

Magical things happen inside that holy place. Just sayin.

Agreed - and a 9pm nationally televised game should produce an extra rowdy crowd. We should be going for a 30 game home win streak that evening as well...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:14 pm

Wow-I've seen every minute of every game and can't believe some of you actually think this team as presently constituted is anything close to resembling a Top 25 team. I thought I was being nice suggesting it might be Top 50
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:20 pm

We are going to have a very hard time with USC because of their length throughout their line up but especially inside. Also they are an experienced team so i'd expect them to be able to handle a hostile road environment. We will get killed on the glass if Akoy isn't back by then.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:22 pm

Stallion wrote:Wow-I've seen every minute of every game and can't believe some of you actually think this team as presently constituted is anything close to resembling a Top 25 team. I thought I was being nice suggesting it might be Top 50

This team has the talent on the roster to be a top 25 team, but I'd agree we have a long way to go to reach the teams potential, as opposed to the last several years where SMU always had strong veteran presence that could hit the ground running at the start of each season.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:39 am

"Come and post on PonyFans, where your participation trophy includes the honorary Charles Dickens writing award!"

Shockingly...not the best of times...not the worst. Early season with a young roster and we're slowly growing into this team. Happens, and will get better, and we will be getting more players back soon. Not top 25 yet, but have a change if the chips fall right. Nothing has proven the players don't deserve some time and a top-50 label.

It will all turn out ok...we will all survive.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:02 am

indianmustang wrote:36th on this one
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/

35th now. Baylor, Aggy and UT in top 25 and Coogs at #58 with game at 1:30 today (neutral). Wichita St at #2!
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Guys we look like an NIT team right now for crying out loud. Hopefully the freshmen develop and hopefully Akoy and McMurray are the real deal, but we haven't seen them so we don't know.

We've played 3 garbage teams so far. Maybe we can get up for the bigger games, but we really haven't looked great thus far. I'll withhold judgement until the Bahamas
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:13 pm

blackoutpony wrote:Guys we look like an NIT team right now for crying out loud. Hopefully the freshmen develop and hopefully Akoy and McMurray are the real deal, but we haven't seen them so we don't know.

We've played 3 garbage teams so far. Maybe we can get up for the bigger games, but we really haven't looked great thus far. I'll withhold judgement until the Bahamas

:lol: we look like a young team trying to gel and get their legs under them. I remember like 50% of this Board last year thought we were an NIT team in early December and we finished with 30 wins.

We don’t look like a top 25 team at this point, but we don’t look like a 5th placed team in AAC either. We haven’t played great, but we have been real good in spells. I honestly don’t expect more than 1-2 at Atlantis, especially is Akoy doesn’t play or is severely limited. This team will have the opportunity to gel and show more in December when we have our full arsenal.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 pm

[quote=“blackoutpony”]Guys we look like an NIT team right now for crying out loud. Hopefully the freshmen develop and hopefully Akoy and McMurray are the real deal, but we haven't seen them so we don't know.

We've played 3 garbage teams so far. Maybe we can get up for the bigger games, but we really haven't looked great thus far. I'll withhold judgement until the Bahamas[/quote]

You do know we won the last game by 46, right? I’m not sure what you were expecting? We have a bunch of guys who have never played together for the most part, and four of our regular rotation guys are true freshmen, and we are missing one maybe two starters. It is going to take time.

We are going to have a bad game or two in the OOC so get ready but I’ve seen subtle improvements from the freshmen each game. As we go the game will slow down for them and their talent will start to show. By conference time we should be a much better team.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Grant Carter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 pm

blackoutpony wrote:Guys we look like an NIT team right now for crying out loud. Hopefully the freshmen develop and hopefully Akoy and McMurray are the real deal, but we haven't seen them so we don't know.

To be fair, being a top 25 team and being an NIT team are not mutually exclusive.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Guys we look like an NIT team right now for crying out loud. Hopefully the freshmen develop and hopefully Akoy and McMurray are the real deal, but we haven't seen them so we don't know.

You do know we won the last game by 46, right? I’m not sure what you were expecting? We have a bunch of guys who have never played together for the most part, and four of our regular rotation guys are true freshmen, and we are missing one maybe two starters. It is going to take time.

We are going to have a bad game or two in the OOC so get ready but I’ve seen subtle improvements from the freshmen each game. As we go the game will slow down for them and their talent will start to show. By conference time we should be a much better team.

He also does not realize that UMBC is a stronger team than a number of teams in our own conference and has a legit shot to make post-season - but they are a garbage team in his mind.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:22 pm

Tapping the brakes here. There is no telling what January, February and March will bring. Today? Not so much.

It is interesting to note that TCU and A&M are at 24 and 25 right now. Ags just obliterated West Virginia (ranked much higher)
and TCU hopefully will stay ranked until we visit.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby deucetz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Grant Carter wrote:

To be fair, being a top 25 team and being an NIT team are not mutually exclusive.

My heart still hurts from that moment.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Grant Carter wrote:

We proved that
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Check out uc. Their schedule is more garbage than ours is so far.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball