PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sorry state of SMU sports

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sorry state of SMU sports

Postby OldPony » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:01 am

This has become a train wreck of huge proportions. A football team which will prbably have the disticntion next year of having the nation's longest losing streak and we have a basketball team with only 3 competitors (Castro, Lowe and Rack). I thought it couldn't get any worse than Shumate's last year and Cavan's last year for their prospective sports but I was wrong. Conference realignments save money but bring back none of our traditional rivalries and the bus will continue to head downhill. Students don't go to games and alums and other fans are disappearing. Even those of us who have followed SMU for 40 uears are having second thoughts as to why we should care. I'm more depressed about the state of SMU athletics than ever before.
OldPony
Heisman

Re: Sorry state of SMU sports

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:22 am

You're depressed. Good. Does that mean you'll stop posting ridiculous drivel?

Basketball needs new leadership. I put nothing on the players and notice you omit Bryan Hopkins from your list of those giving their all. What's up with that? Your continual lack of respect towards that guy is baffling. He's our best player and the top player in the WAC who gives his heart and soul every game.

And football. Don't you like the recruiting class?
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:30 am

Ponyboy-you just don't get it. He is expressing exactly the emotions of thousands and thousands of SMU fans who simply are tired of caring. SMU better start listening and make the decision to commit to solving this problem or it most certainly will get worse.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonySnob » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:32 am

Judging by our attendance, it is hard to say that there are even "thousands and thousands" of SMU fans.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby M Street Stang » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:43 am

Hopkins is definitely part of the problem here, not the solution. He falls into a long line of impressive offensive high school players that we have signed that have not developed into complete basketball players. He is making 9th grade mistakes in his defense and his ball handling. He could get away with being out of defensive position in high school, but not now. We run zone most of the time, so it compounds the problem when he goes for the glitzy steal and whiffs. He did this numerous times in the Hawaii game. He did get one steal (and almost collapsed after the layup b/c he is so out of shape), but missed 3 or 4 others. Texas is looking pretty smart for not wasting, not one, but two scholarships on him.
M Street Stang
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:49 am

darn Teenagers! Crazy mixed up 19 year who STILL makes mistakes. Let's fire him too!!!!!!!
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:58 am

Ponyboy, you "put nothing on the players?" I don't really see how you can take that position with a straight face. The only game they played this year on TV, they clearly gave up in the first half. Stopped competing. Listening to the game last night, they did the same thing, but worse. Lewin: "Hopkins, takes a jumper. It's blocked! Cleanly!! (crowd roars) Hopkins lies dejectedly on the court. Now he has to really hustle to get back on D. Gillespie scores!"

Yes, I do find it difficult to continue caring, because I'm fairly certain the team doesn't. If they don't care, why the hell should we? There's obviously something Dement is not doing right, and he's clearly lost this team. But it works both ways. You can't teach a kid how to WANT to win. You either have the drive to compete or you don't. These guys, as a team, are showing on a consistent basis that they don't, and when that happens, it doesn't matter whether Dement can coach or not, we'll just continue to embarrass ourselves. How can we blame only the coach when the players won't listen anyway?

We're talking about a 40 point loss to RICE, here, people. This is beyond horrific, and there is no excuse. Give me the 0-12 football team any day, at least they tried.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:04 am

Stallion: Ponyboy-you just don't get it. He is expressing exactly the emotions of thousands and thousands of SMU fans who simply are tired of caring. SMU better start listening and make the decision to commit to solving this problem or it most certainly will get worse.

I understand his frustration. I really do. For me, last night was a staggering loss that served to absolutely torpedo my very high hopes for this team. Old Pony likes to whine publicly, though, and I'm sick of it. And his continued flogging of Bryan Hopkins is nothing short of stupid.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:05 am

there are quite a few people around with an interest in SMU. I wouldn't call them fans at this time because there hasnt been much for the casual person to get excited about or interested in. To tap into those people you have to win and play good competition. Theres no other way.
Hoop Fan

Postby EastStang » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:05 pm

I agree with Old Pony. If something doesn't change, Bryan Hopkins, a H.S. All-American point guard will not get into the NBA. His game is not even close to NBA calibre. Unless it gets to that level, he will not be a success in college. If he was making spectacular passes that were being dropped by his teammates that would be one thing, but he is making out of control passes to no one, getting caught off the dribble in double teams, and taking off balance shots. Mastering those are basic skill sets are a necessity for a quality college point guard. Until that happens the team will flounder. Just like the QB gets blamed in football, the point guard is the QB in basketball. Nothing works right if he isn't playing well.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:39 pm

1. Hopkins has not played up to his potential. For those of you who saw him play in high school, you know what I am talking about. I am not sure what happened but he is nowhere near NBA talent.

2. If Dement gets fired, at least I get to see a new offense :) Putting up with this awful offensive scheme for 9 years has made me want to puke. Any former players on here would like to give us insight into what Dement is doing on offense? And what about player relations? Where did CPC go?
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:34 pm

Gee- I'm sorry to post drivel. Hopkins is wonderful. He made all of his shots last night and had a great assist to TO ratio. He tried really hard and no one should ever say that he hasn't lived up to the hype surrounding his signing. I sure hope the NBA doesn't saign him before next year.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball