PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Emelogu on the boards

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Emelogu on the boards

Postby PonyBait » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:46 am

Anyone else noticing all the rebounds where Emelogu skies and grabs it with one hand? If he rebounds like this all year on both ends it is going to go a long way for us. Not to mention if he's knocking down 3s like last night
PonyBait
Scout Team

Re: Emelogu on the boards

Postby SMU-LSU Fan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:35 am

My son and I were discussing how high he is getting up this year. We certainly need him to hit the boards hard.
SMU-LSU Fan

Postby PonyTime » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 am

I thought you were referencing Ben's persona on this message board.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:41 am

He's a beast among guards. I've actually never seen him get out "muscled" for a rebound against another guard. He's "country strong" as we used to say. Strong hands, etc. If he gets that 3 to go consistently (like last night), watch out boys and girls. And, I know Shake is our best player, but the more I think about it I really think we go as far as his play takes us. Not that he's the point leader or anything. But if he plays inconsistently, I think we will have an inconsistent year and may be looking at the NIT. If he plays at a high level consistently, especially against the 'good teams' we're 'supposed to beat like UCF, Temple, etc, then we have a good chance to make the tourney. Don't take any 'bad losses' and actually beat one of the top teams like USC, Cincy, WSU, then we are definitely in. And he'll have to play some of his best games against them to win.

The more I think about it, and I know this isn't specific to the OP, but I really think this year is much more about avoiding the 'bad losses' and stealing one good win somewhere (we will have opportunities). Do that and we're in. A bad loss will really hurt with no good wins. Just go undefeated at Moody and don't have any 'bad losses' on the road and we're in!
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:29 pm

I've seen numerous occasions where I thought he escaped an over the back call on rebounds, but there's no question he is an exceptional rebounder for his position. Which is one reason why he is perennially underrated when he's not the smooth shooter that Shake is or that Sterling or Semi or Nic were for us.

I go back and forth between Gu and Whitt as to who is our X-factor this year. I think Whitt is going to have to be a little more of a scoring threat to keep good teams honest so that he can continue to dribble drive through the middle.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:26 pm

ojaipony wrote:Just go undefeated at Moody and don't have any 'bad losses' on the road and we're in!

If we go undefeated at Moody we would be in the tourney - that would mean at least 3 wins against top 10 teams and guarantee at least a .500 record vs Top 25.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:08 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:I've seen numerous occasions where I thought he escaped an over the back call on rebounds, but there's no question he is an exceptional rebounder for his position. Which is one reason why he is perennially underrated when he's not the smooth shooter that Shake is or that Sterling or Semi or Nic were for us.

I go back and forth between Gu and Whitt as to who is our X-factor this year. I think Whitt is going to have to be a little more of a scoring threat to keep good teams honest so that he can continue to dribble drive through the middle.

I have had the same thought. I think Whitt is the X-factor. We need Gu to keep doing what he is doing (rebounding, playing good D, no TO’s and hitting 3’s). Asking him to do more than that is a little much, but if he can do that it would be huge.

Whitt needs to become more of a threat offensively otherwise in Conference it will hurt. He needs to be more aggressive attacking the bucket and shooting mid-range. He doesn’t have to score 12PPG, but we need a consistent 8-10PPG out of him. If he can effectively score around the bucket and get in the paint it will take us to another level.

I love what Gu is giving us right now though. If he can be a consistent spot up 3 shooter with everything else he already does that would be huge.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Return to Basketball