PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OOC Opponents and other AAC games

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OOC Opponents and other AAC games

Postby Prideful Pony » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 am

Pony_Law wrote:I wonder if Jank just got used to a really shallow rotation last year and now it has become a habit. This year he is still riding the starters hard, even when he didn't have to. The freshman showed enough that I was expecting at least Landrum and Douglas to be getting a solid 10-15 minutes each per game. Jank however pretty much only had a 7 man rotation (akoy + McMurr) before the injuries as Landrum and Douglas only seemed to be getting spot minutes in the first half to deal with foul trouble. During the nonconference Douglas seemed to be getting more and more minutes as was doing some nice things defensively. Landrum seems competent except for his terrible shooting (which is inexplicable and hopefully he is working on every day). Since the conference started both of their minutes seemed to have been cut. Maybe now they will both get a real run out.

I wonder if Jank might just be a coach that will always use a 8 man rotation as opposed to 10. Most coaches use 10 man rotation throughout the season and then shorten it come post season. I wonder if all those years at smaller schools made him adverse to using the bench as he probably had a pretty significant talent drop off.

I think the short answer is that our bench (Everett, Landrum, and Douglas) are all awful on the offensive end. We don't have enough firepower to play 4v5 on offense for that many minutes when our opponent's know those three guys can't (or won't) shoot/drive/create. That's not really a knock on our freshmen -- they're young and still figuring it out. It's our scholarship reductions that force us into a position where they're our only option for rotation.
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:42 am

Prideful Pony wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:I wonder if Jank just got used to a really shallow rotation last year and now it has become a habit. This year he is still riding the starters hard, even when he didn't have to. The freshman showed enough that I was expecting at least Landrum and Douglas to be getting a solid 10-15 minutes each per game. Jank however pretty much only had a 7 man rotation (akoy + McMurr) before the injuries as Landrum and Douglas only seemed to be getting spot minutes in the first half to deal with foul trouble. During the nonconference Douglas seemed to be getting more and more minutes as was doing some nice things defensively. Landrum seems competent except for his terrible shooting (which is inexplicable and hopefully he is working on every day). Since the conference started both of their minutes seemed to have been cut. Maybe now they will both get a real run out.

I wonder if Jank might just be a coach that will always use a 8 man rotation as opposed to 10. Most coaches use 10 man rotation throughout the season and then shorten it come post season. I wonder if all those years at smaller schools made him adverse to using the bench as he probably had a pretty significant talent drop off.

I think the short answer is that our bench (Everett, Landrum, and Douglas) are all awful on the offensive end. We don't have enough firepower to play 4v5 on offense for that many minutes when our opponent's know those three guys can't (or won't) shoot/drive/create. That's not really a knock on our freshmen -- they're young and still figuring it out. It's our scholarship reductions that force us into a position where they're our only option for rotation.

I'll have to agree with this assessment. All three bring basically zero offensively. Now, if we look back at Gu there is hope for both Landrum and Douglas from outside. I've always seen Ray as a work in progress so he doesn't concern me quite as much. I really didn't expect too much out of any of our freshmen their first year so Chargois' massive success more than covers my expectations. But by tourney time these guys should have played what amounts to a full season....almost making them sophs. Those three (now two with the injury to Ray) seem a bit behind in their development. Again, the scholarship restrictions frustrate me more than player growth when it comes to depth. Two more guys on the bench....by now probably juniors, perhaps transfers....would make a huge difference.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:27 pm

You can have players that don't shoot/score and still run effective offense so long as they screen/move/pass within the system (which both players they seem to do just fine). Defenses are not designed to just ignore a player on the court. If they were truly just ignoring them they should be able to get shots that they can make. Both players were recruited here for a reason. I'm sure they can but the ball through the hoop one way or another. Landrum takes good shots (wide open jumpers) he just misses them for explainable reasons (his form is fine). Douglas routinely just passes up on shots to make another pass or to drive and pass. I'm sure with the right encouragement/coaching he could be coached to take 4-6 good shots a game within the system.

Those 2 players are going to have to get minutes because that 6 man rotation only worked because BM, Semi, SB, and Jerry were much better at not fouling because they all were NBA level athletes.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby RI Stang » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:55 pm

I have high hopes for Douglas. Agree he passes on way too many looks when he does get in the game, and have to assume it's a confidence thing. Hoping the coaches are now pounding into him that they want him shooting. While obviously nothing like the game, I do see him in warmups making just about every shot he takes from all over the court.

We'll find out as I have to think he's going to get opportunities starting Thursday night...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:49 pm

I think Pony_law nailed it with Douglas. Landrum has okay form, but has never been a consistent shooter. He shot 33% from 3 his senior year of HS (taking a very high volume). He was much more of a driving scorer which is tougher for a small guy in college. Love Landrum as a hustle guy and defender, but until he can start hitting some shots he won't play more than spot minutes for us. I always expected him to be a project.

Most coaches always cut their rotation down come conference. Ours is just smaller than lots of schools, because our lack of depth. I don't mind the short rotation if your guys can play the mins and stay out of foul trouble. I would prefer a strong 7-8 man rotation w/ some spot players to a 10-11 man rotation. Allows your best players to stay on the court and get in the feel of the game.

Sadly, I don't think Landrum has the ability yet or Douglas the confidence to step out of their offensive funks this year, so we are going to rely heavily on our starting 5 + new Akoy. They will both play because they have to, but barring foul trouble I doubt they play more than 8 minutes a game each. It really disappoints me that we aren't getting more out of Douglas. I figured he would be a decent contributor by this point of the season. He has all the tools. I think he will be a totally different player next season.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 pm

I’d kill for Landrum to shoot 33%.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:12 pm

Pony_Law wrote:I’d kill for Landrum to shoot 33%.

Even free throws
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:19 pm

South Florida wins at Tulane in a nail bitter.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:20 pm

USF withstands a furious Tulane comeback and holds on to win their 1st AAC game in New Orleans. We should not assume a W when we go to Tampa.
Charleston Pony

Postby RI Stang » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 am

Tulane dropped about 30 spots in the RPI with that loss. Brutal.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:34 pm

UCONN down 24 on the road at Temple but there's still 8 minutes for it to get worse
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Hard to imagine how we lost to Connecticut but we all saw it plain as day
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:39 pm

UConn, SMU, Temple, and Tulane are very inconsistent. That’s why we’ve lost to them.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:12 am

Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Hard to imagine how we lost to Connecticut but we all saw it plain as day

We couldn't shoot that night. Simple as that. Just one of those nights. Too bad they aren't coming to Moody for a rematch. Maybe we will get them again in the AAC Tourney
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball