PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Mob System must be blown up

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Mob System must be blown up

Postby ObeyMyDog » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:33 am

I just looked this up today after wondering why crowds have been light on the student side given I was told the Mob tickets are now first come first serve every game..... well nope that is not true!

http://smumustangs.com/sports/2016/6/19/the-mob.aspx

They literally just re-branded the complete failure of the points system. Everything is the same except points kids don't get 6 game allotments anymore, just game by game. Same freaking problem as the last couple seasons. The requirements are a total joke also. At this point the school is being unfair to the players by actively keeping people out, it's nuts Also, you have to pay to join the Mob so you can get tickets? That's truly insulting even for SMU. That just flat out is not right and is borderline discriminatory.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Re: The Mob System must be blown up

Postby PerunasHoof » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 am

ObeyMyDog wrote:I just looked this up today after wondering why crowds have been light on the student side given I was told the Mob tickets are now first come first serve every game..... well nope that is not true!

http://smumustangs.com/sports/2016/6/19/the-mob.aspx

They literally just re-branded the complete failure of the points system. Everything is the same except points kids don't get 6 game allotments anymore, just game by game. Same freaking problem as the last couple seasons. The requirements are a total joke also. At this point the school is being unfair to the players by actively keeping people out, it's nuts Also, you have to pay to join the Mob so you can get tickets? That's truly insulting even for SMU. That just flat out is not right and is borderline discriminatory.

I'm going to go ahead and wager you haven't been to a game yet this season. The student sections have actually been very well attended, especially for early season games against no name teams. This time last year there were never any students on the basket side seats. Game one all student sections were completely full.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby ObeyMyDog » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 am

Yeah good guess but I've been to them all. You'll never convince me you don't get the student sections full or almost full on all 3 sides every game if you literally give the tickets away to the first to show.

It blows my mind people defend this system, it honestly makes me feel crazy. I can tolerate a little nonsense, but the current system without question keeps kids out of games that would otherwise come when the crowd is lighter.
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby okcponyfan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Watched all 3 on tv this year, and have been very impressed with student attendance. 1st game was great, 2nd was ok, and 3rd was in the middle.

No complaints. Hopefully Saturday's game will be like friday night's game
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby Junior » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Well written, though:

Where are the Mob seats located?
The Mob sections are in rows 112, 100, and 108.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Are the students gone yet?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby skyscraper » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:39 pm

This is idiocy.
The system is so broken it was SRO for the first game with some students filtering into the empties in the blue seats
There has been excellent student attendance all three games when you consider who we've been playing.
skyscraper

Postby ObeyMyDog » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:46 pm

I must be crazy then. Guess it is just an insanely radical thought to believe there would be very little variation in student attendance if you didn't put the tickets behind a point system and money wall.
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm

When I was a kid in junior high school they wouldn't serve french fries and hamburgers. Until we boycotted the kitchen line three weeks later we had a dedicated hamburger and french fry line.

This is AmerAka
One Trick Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:02 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:When I was a kid in junior high school they wouldn't serve french fries and hamburgers. Until we boycotted the kitchen line three weeks later we had a dedicated hamburger and french fry line.

And now we're reducing capacities in order to widen the seats.
Bergermeister

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Lol
One Trick Pony

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Game 1: Outstanding
Game 2: competed with Dallas Cowboys and looked predominately women
Game 3: Was decent for a very poor opponent -better than season ticket holders
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:50 pm

I mean the point system is absolutely dumb and should be abolished, but the student section has been really good so far this year considering we've played no one, no one, and the worst D-1 team I've ever seen.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:04 pm

blackoutpony wrote:I mean the point system is absolutely dumb and should be abolished, but the student section has been really good so far this year considering we've played no one, no one, and the worst D-1 team I've ever seen.

Nailed it.

Last year during conference (Cincy and after) they amended it to point system, but if you didn’t show up early enough/ unclaimed tickets were given first come first serve. I remember that helped.

I wish they just went back to first come first serve.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby edwa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:39 pm

all you had to do was give$79 to get a mob ticket this year because they stopped using the point system as it got close to the season opener. After that its first come first serve to every game to get into 112 for the mob, regular students are let in 20 minutes before tip to fill 100 + 108 behinf the baskets.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball