PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU v. Rice - I was there...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU v. Rice - I was there...

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:01 am

to see my first SMU basketball game in 20+ years (jobs around the state have prevented me from attending) and I have to say it was a nightmare. I love the Mustangs, don't get me wrong. But this showing was pitiful and sad. I don't know that much about basketball, I'll admit (played some in church league and YMCA) but I know enough to understand the game. I couldn't believe the missed shots, the lathargic attitude of the Mustangs and the overall tenor of the game. I was one of a handful of Mustang fans sitting at Autry Court (yes, it's small...reminds me of my high school's gym in Dallas...scratch that...my high school's gym is BETTER!) but because of its size it can be intimidating to a visiting team. Rice showed some awesome talent last night (Michael Harris, 20 pts; Brian Gillespie, 20 pts.) and we deserved to be beat...soundly. And we were. The Mustangs were never in this game. Is this the same team that beat Bobby Knight's TT Raiders? What the heck happened? I may go see the Fresno State game in Dallas on Feb. 7...maybe I'll see a different team. I certainly hope so. :whistling:
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU v. Rice - I was there...

Postby TheGing » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:57 am

I was among the probably less than 10 SMU fans at the YMCA gym, I mean Autry Court. My thoughts on the game? Truly embarrasing. We couldn't get anything going, missing shots all over, and just when we would get something going, we would give up the ball to Gillespie who could land a three from anywhere on the court, and the Mustangs would lose all momentum and put their tail between their legs. The other thing I couldn't understand was the constant substitutions. I see that Dement was trying to shake things up and get something going, but when you put in a guy right off the bench and then take him back out 20 seconds later, you're not going to give them a chance to warm up or get in any type of groove. Not like there was any groove to get into.

Anyway, there were a million things I could go off on, but I'm sure many of you feel the same way. It's just crazy that they play so well against some great teams, and then get slaughtered by Rice.

Oh, I will offer this last bit. Autry Court may be small, and there may have been only 1800 people at this game, but I have to hand it to the Rice crowd. Especially the student section. We could take a few notes from them. They seemed really into the game (and who wouldn't when you're up by 40??) and just offered a vibe that was great for them and bad for us. Even the announcer did great (for Rice). Throwing free stuff to the audience when they landed 3's and the coordination of the students and cheerleaders when SMU was shooting free throws. Impressive for a small bunch.
TheGing

Re: SMU v. Rice - I was there...

Postby i10pony » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:03 pm

Yeah I was there too. Luckily I had free ticks.I went with my Rice bud. He was tickled pink at the outcome of that disaster. I also ran into some old dorm mates. They left at half time. Typical SMU. But I don't blame them. They had to go to work the next day. I ended up bonding with this old alum who was at SMU in the 80's when the Ponies were nationally ranked in fball and bball. The funny thing is his little kid wants to go to Rice. Short stuff was like "SMU is horrible! Go Owls!" Rice looked solid. I think they are going to win the WAC.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball